• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Tucan Sailing --Anyone Done This???

excitedtocruise

I am in the process of making our down payment, and I want to make sure I am making the right decision. Has anyone done this excursion? How far is the marina from the cruise ship pier, what can we expect for the taxi fare round trip? We are a wide variety of ages, will all ages like this? How is the snorkeling, the beach, the food and the drinks? I heard they have spinnacker rides, were they fun.

I would really appreciate anyones input. THANKS!!!

The Tucan sailing trip is a great excursion. I hope your ship arrives early enough so that you can make it. You have to be at the marina on the north end of the island by 8:30 IIRC.

They make one or two snorkeling stops, have the best food of any excursion I have ever been on.

The spinnaker ride is a lot of fun. The farther apart you can keep the ropes the higher you will go.

Taxi should take about 15 minutes and be less than $20 for up to 4 people.

We took this tour while doing a land-based vacation in Cozumel and we did wait for a couple of cruises to arrive before we departed, probably at least a half an hour. It was so much fun! A truly wonderful day with something for everyone. Is your group the only one going? We were going to do this in April, but decided to go to Nachi Cocom instead, since we have two yournger children with us.

My husband and I were fortunate to be sailing on the Tucan last Saturday. There were a total of 12 on the boat including a crew of three that totally spoil you!! The winds were very high but Captain Dan handled everything with consideration of what each person wanted out of the tour and expertise under those conditions. As it turned out we were able to do it all - snorkel, visit the deserted island, watch dolphins playing, fish (caught a huge one but I don't know what kind it was), rode the spinnacker. The salsa and guac were some of the best I've EVER had and Juan cooked us a feast for lunch. One of the things that impressed me the most was that one of the crew got into the water with us and found all sorts of things we would have missed. A sea cucumber, starfish etc. This is a very laid back experience and I think the owners try to be as flexible as they can with scheduling. We were out there every bit of six hours as our ship was in port from 7 AM to 7PM. Captain Dan had a cab waiting at the marina to whisk us back to the ship. This is one of the absolutely best excursions I have ever taken and if you're looking to relax and enjoy the waters off of Cozumel this is the trip for you.

Thank you for the information. You said it was winding, did anyone feel sick? Was there a lot to see snorkeling? How was the private island? We have a group of 11, a few kids with us, will they like the spinnaker rides?

I am really looking forward to sailing the Tucan in March, it sounds like you had a great time.

Yes, we had a blast. The boat and the captain handled the wind and rough seas very well - no one on board was sick at all. The reef we snorkeled over had quite a bit of sea life - as I mentioned one of the crew actually brought up a sea cucumber and starfish - I would have totally missed that. I also saw very colorful coral growing on the reef - I have not seen that before. I don't think the island we stopped at was Passion Island - it was too windy. We were further north and those that went ashore said it was nice (my husband and I stayed on the boat). Your kids will LOVE the spinnaker rides!

• 1 month later...

This is off my IOS 3/15-21/09 trip report:

We were excited about our day on the Trimaran Tucan. We took a 10 minute ($12) cab ride from the port to the marina where the Tucan was berthed. We met with the owner who we paid and met the crew of the boat. Our group of ten had the pleasure of sharing the boat with Suzanne (Canadian Mom Cruiser) and her lovely family of four. The crew of the Tucan were ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. There was absolutely NOTHING that these three men would not try to do to ensure that we had the best possible day with them. The excursion last 6 hours and included sailing to a small deserted beach north of the port. On the way we stopped at a coral head and did some snorkeling. Winds were low so we did not sail the entire day and could not do the spinnaker rides they are known for. They took us to the beach via a small inflatable boat while they prepared and absolutely delicious lunch of fajitas, salad, beans with fresh pico de gallo and guacamole. Instead of the spinnaker rides, they took us to a second snorkeling spot where one of the crew was able to catch/grab a sea turtle and bring it to the boat for pictures before setting it free. The boat was great for laying around and had plenty of space for our group of 14. They got us back to the marina where taxis were waiting for us. We made it back to the ship about 40 minutes prior to sailing. I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS EXCURSION ANY MORE HIGHLY. This was the favorite day of the trip for my son, my wife and myself.

• 1 month later...

We did this trip just after Easter and I highly recommend it! Since we were a group of 4 and they have a 6 person minimum, we had to wait for others to sign up before they could commit to sail. Karen was wonderful about updating me on the status and knowing my schedule before departing for our cruise. Luckily I purchased some internet time and checked my email on the ship because they found some other participants after we left Tampa. Be warned that this is a long excursion and many ship's port time schedules don't allow you to do it.

We got off the ship at 9am (8am Cozumel time) and grabbed a taxi at the end of the Puerta Maya pier. It cost $10 for the four of us and took about 15 minutes to get to the Marina where we met Dan, the owner, and waited for the rest of the people to arrive. Another family of four (locals from the mainland) and a couple vacationing on the island rounded out the 10 passengers. Dan walked us over to the Tucan, collected our shoes, and assisted the crew in helping us board. There were 10 dry lockers in the covered but open "cabin" that were spacious enough to store all our towels and belongings, and seating for about 8 people. Dan gave the safety instructions, introduced the crew of three, double checked our timing to get back to the ship, and reminded us to have fun.

The crew could not have been better. All three were very experienced sailors and very good bartenders and cooks as well. We all chose to sit out on the front of the boat. There were two areas right up front with trampoline like material directly over the water, and a sunken area with seats. Only sit here if you want to get very wet. Other people chose to sit a little further back, or on the sides. Wherever they chose, the crew managed to get those drinks to them. There was a big selection of bottled water, multiple soda flavors, beer, and mixed drinks. Down in the bow of the boat was a bathroom and sink. The kids (18 yo) briefly went down under the covered area and proceeded to get sea sick. The crew was instantly prepared with a bucket on a rope and kept them supplied with a clean one. Lesson learned - stay up on the front of the boat. Even in the rough seas they felt much better up there.

After about a two hour sail we reached the snorkeling area. The crew fitted everyone with gear and jumped in the water to assist people into the water. It was a little rough for me, but everyone else enjoyed themselves. The saw a sting ray, a turtle, a baracuda and a puffer fish. Then it was time for Passion Island. We were shuttled to the island by an inflatable boat in groups of 4 and provided with a cooler full of cold drinks. It was a beautiful natural beach and we enjoyed walking in the soft sand, looking for shells, and one of the guys continued his snorkeling just off shore. The trip back to the Tucan was really fun too. It was just one other woman and myself, and we were asked if we wanted to go fast or slow. Of course we said fast and were not disappointed! We were holding on for dear life while airborn over the waves. Where is a sports bra when you need one???

Lunch was ready when we returned and it was steak and fish fajitas, chicken wings, fresh guacamole and salsa, and pasta salad. Everything was delicious and grilled or prepared on board during our sail. The crew had fresh water and soap available to wash up with. The sea sick kids had recovered enough to eat a few bites. After lunch it was time for spinnaker sail rides. About half of us took turns going for a mini parasail ride at the back of the boat. Check out YouTube for some other people's videos to get an idea of what it looks like.

We had smooth sailing back to the marina while enjoying freshly made margaritas - yes there was a blender on board! They went down far too easily which made for a very interesting trip back to our ship. We tipped the crew, gathered our belongings, and had help getting back up onto the dock where Dan had our shoes lined up and waiting. He also had our taxi ready to go. We made one stop at a store on the way back so the taxi was $15 this time. I think it was about 5 pm ship time when we got back to the pier. Cozumel Sailing is a first class operation and I highly recommend the trip. The other couple with us had done the Sunset Sail on the Tucan just two days previous and liked it so much they were back for this day sail.

Archived