• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Live from the Island Princess

cantwaitfornextcruise

Better late than never and can’t promise to do this every day but I will post most days.

We left Sunday 22nd from dock 29 it wasn’t quite the end of the world but you could see it from that point seven other ships in port, so we left at 5:30ish

Boarding was swift and efficient we were on board by 11:45, the Island is looking a little tired now but she is still a wonderful ship. We are in a mini on Dolphin our cabin steward Julio is fabulous the egg crate was delivered same day as were our robes which we only asked for we met him. We are late supper and have a good set of table companions. I understand we only have 6 children on this cruise, I must admit I haven’t spotted any. Internet is ship wide if you bring a lap top, I have sent mail from my cabin and I am currently at the adult pool on a comfortable sun bed out of the wind

Day 1 Sea Day

Weather was a little windy but we were so busy we didn’t really go outside, our meet and greet was good it was so nice to finally meet all the people and put faces to the names and real names to the cc names. This was our first formal night and the clocks went forward 1 hour. Although we enjoyed our dinner we think the menu has changed not for the better having said that I’, not cooking cleaning or washing-up

Day 2 Sea Day

Weather is windy with a swell but we are in the Lotus Adult pool are and the roof is closed so it’s very nice

Just curious as to which cabin you might be in. We have three mini-suites on the IP for our 22 June Alaska cruise. We have D-717, 718, and 721. Just curious how you liked the rooms etc. Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Then again, how could you not!!

Cheers, Kenn

Better late than never and can’t promise to do this every day but I will post most days.

We left Sunday 22nd from dock 29 it wasn’t quite the end of the world but you could see it from that point seven other ships in port, so we left at 5:30ish

Boarding was swift and efficient we were on board by 11:45, the Island is looking a little tired now but she is still a wonderful ship. We are in a mini on Dolphin our cabin steward Julio is fabulous the egg crate was delivered same day as were our robes which we only asked for we met him. We are late supper and have a good set of table companions. I understand we only have 6 children on this cruise, I must admit I haven’t spotted any. Internet is ship wide if you bring a lap top, I have sent mail from my cabin and I am currently at the adult pool on a comfortable sun bed out of the wind

Day 1 Sea Day

Weather was a little windy but we were so busy we didn’t really go outside, our meet and greet was good it was so nice to finally meet all the people and put faces to the names and real names to the cc names. This was our first formal night and the clocks went forward 1 hour. Although we enjoyed our dinner we think the menu has changed not for the better having said that I’, not cooking cleaning or washing-up

Day 2 Sea Day

Weather is windy with a swell but we are in the Lotus Adult pool are and the roof is closed so it’s very nice

Thanks for posting. Enjoy!!

Just curious as to which cabin you might be in. We have three mini-suites on the IP for our 22 June Alaska cruise. We have D-717, 718, and 721. Just curious how you liked the rooms etc. Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Then again, how could you not!!

Cheers, Kenn

We had 719/721 (covered) in Sept to Alaska, perfect location with the aft deck right down the hallway.

We had 719/721 (covered) in Sept to Alaska, perfect location with the aft deck right down the hallway.

We were hoping to hear good news on those cabins. Thanks for the good words. Our eldest son and his family joined the crowd late or we would have had all the suites booked on the Starboard side and might even have gotten connecting mini's like I think you did. What is there to see on the aft deck. I assume its a great view of the wake as we sail. We love that view and have spent hours on Carnival in just that position.

Again, thanks for the good words.

Cheers, Kenn

We were hoping to hear good news on those cabins. Thanks for the good words. Our eldest son and his family joined the crowd late or we would have had all the suites booked on the Starboard side and might even have gotten connecting mini's like I think you did. What is there to see on the aft deck. I assume its a great view of the wake as we sail. We love that view and have spent hours on Carnival in just that position.

Again, thanks for the good words.

Cheers, Kenn

Yes we took fantastic sunset photos and others from that location. It extends the full width of the ship back there. There is one on Emerald/Dolphin/Caribe/Baja. Same at the front of the ship.

We were in Cabin D706 right near your 3 cabins and that is a wonderful area as Colo said. We spent alot of time on that balcony aft of the ship. Enjoy. Very quiet back there. By the way we will be on the Coral and have D708 for the Panama Canal cruise. That is why I picked that area. Wonderful location.

Marilyn

Yes we took fantastic sunset photos and others from that location. It extends the full width of the ship back there. There is one on Emerald/Dolphin/Caribe/Baja. Same at the front of the ship.

Thanks, that is wonderful news. I can't wait to watch the wake fall off in the distance. We didn't know for sure if there was a wrap-around deck back there or not. Counting the days.

Thanks again, Kenn

We were in Cabin D706 right near your 3 cabins and that is a wonderful area as Colo said. We spent alot of time on that balcony aft of the ship. Enjoy. Very quiet back there. By the way we will be on the Coral and have D708 for the Panama Canal cruise. That is why I picked that area. Wonderful location.

Marilyn

Marilyn, thanks for the good words on those cabins. We are really excited about the trip though it still seems so far away. Hope you enjoy the Panama canal crossing. Someday we will hit that itinerary as well. Hope you enjoy your cruise!! Thanks again for the good info.

Cheers, Kenn

We were on the Island Princess last week and we also had Julio for our room stewart. He was fabulous. He was always laughing and nothing was ever a problem. We were in Cabins D716 & D 718 and between the two cabins there were 3 kids. We noticed that there were not very many kids on board this ship. If you see Julio say hi from us.

Cheers, Kenn

We were in D716 in Alaska and felt it was a great location. Loved the extra space and bathtub that comes with a mini suite. Our balcony was covered and had 4 chairs and a table. It was a nice quiet area of the ship with little traffic in the hallway. Don't forget about the aft balcony for great viewing on the scenic cruising days! :)

Hi

Ken

We are in D710 the location is great a little walk to the Horizon Court keeps the weight off

Day 3 Aruba

We docked really early today before we even woke, we have the door open at night and we truly did not hear a sound. Unfortunately your not here long enough to do much except a little shopping and a beer. Oh I nearly forgot when we had our meet and greet we stayed in the Wheelhouse and played trivia and the Cruise Critics won, the regulars were not amused a bunch of jokers took the luggage tags and today the CC team the Scatagorries . Think we will need to ask Princess to print some CC tags soon. Tonight is Island night on deck the clocks go back an hour , tomorrow is Cartagena we are booked on the Old City Walking tour. I promise when we return to post a full report and I’ll scan the patters

Hi

Ken

We are in D710 the location is great a little walk to the Horizon Court keeps the weight off

Day 3 Aruba

We docked really early today before we even woke, we have the door open at night and we truly did not hear a sound. Unfortunately your not here long enough to do much except a little shopping and a beer. Oh I nearly forgot when we had our meet and greet we stayed in the Wheelhouse and played trivia and the Cruise Critics won, the regulars were not amused a bunch of jokers took the luggage tags and today the CC team the Scatagorries . Think we will need to ask Princess to print some CC tags soon. Tonight is Island night on deck the clocks go back an hour , tomorrow is Cartagena we are booked on the Old City Walking tour. I promise when we return to post a full report and I’ll scan the patters

Outstanding!!! We are happy to hear you are enjoying the curise and that the cabins we chose are good ones. Have done three Carnival Cruises before but new to Princess. Can't wait to go. We will be traveling with you as you go so keep posting!!! Hope you have a wonderful cruise!! Oh, and keep winning those luggage tags!!

Cheers, Kenn from 88 degree Texas!!

Day 1 Sea Day

Day 2 Sea Day

We are sailing in July on the sister ship Coral and were offered the Dolphin deck but I thoughtnthere were no over hangs on the balconies. do you have an over hang?

Enjoy your cruise.

Ellen

Cantwaitfornextcruise:

Hope to hear a lot more about the "Island" during your cruise! Anything that you can share would be great. Have you tried the iced tea on the ship? If so, does it taste like a brewed tea or is it dispensed like a fountain drink? We are both tea drinkers and have never been on Princess before, so don't know what to expect.

W5KAP: My husband and I will also be on the June 22nd cruise to Alaska. We have a mini-suite (cabin B229). We usually like the aft cabins, so not sure how we'll like being so far forward! We just booked our cruise, so there weren't too many cabins left on the starboard side.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

we will be staying in E733,which is as far aft as you can get by the look of it...........am I right in saying ,you said,there is a balcony right on the end of the ship,when I looked at the picture of the area I could see it looked like a small balcony,but wasn't sure if it was open to the public?I would be on the lower deck to you,by some chance did you notice there was a balcony below you :),if so,What a great place to have happy hour ;)

We are sailing in July on the sister ship Coral and were offered the Dolphin deck but I thoughtnthere were no over hangs on the balconies. do you have an over hang?

Enjoy your cruise.

Ellen

Our D705 cabin on Island and D716 on Coral (Island's identical sister) both had covered balconies. Check out this website for balcony info for the cabins on each ship. It's a great help when picking out your stateroom.

http://cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Hi Marilyn,

we will be staying in E733,which is as far aft as you can get by the look of it...........am I right in saying ,you said,there is a balcony right on the end of the ship,when I looked at the picture of the area I could see it looked like a small balcony,but wasn't sure if it was open to the public?I would be on the lower deck to you,by some chance did you notice there was a balcony below you :),if so,What a great place to have happy hour ;)

There are several balconies on the ship (both Island and Coral) that are marked as "crew only" or "for emergency use" but are open to the public. The one that is aft on Emerald is one of them. We viewed the Panama Canal from there part of the time. Baja and Caribe have forward balconies that are marked for emergency only but you can go out there without a problem. These are the "secret" places that are mentioned so often on CC. In the Panama Canal we spent most of our time outside either forward on Baja or aft on Emerald. They should both be good locations in Alaska also. I wouldn't go to the forward balconies while the ship is moving though except when glacier viewing.

Hi Marilyn,

This site might help you.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Marilyn

Cantwaitfornextcruise:

Hope to hear a lot more about the "Island" during your cruise! Anything that you can share would be great. Have you tried the iced tea on the ship? If so, does it taste like a brewed tea or is it dispensed like a fountain drink? We are both tea drinkers and have never been on Princess before, so don't know what to expect.

W5KAP: My husband and I will also be on the June 22nd cruise to Alaska. We have a mini-suite (cabin B229). We usually like the aft cabins, so not sure how we'll like being so far forward! We just booked our cruise, so there weren't too many cabins left on the starboard side.

Elwinnie: There is a good site called www.***** and one of the links shows which balconies on the Dolphin deck are actaully fully covered. Hope that helps.

Glad to hear we are finally getting some company on this cruise!! The aft cabins appear to be highly sought after. We just stumbled into them and then later through CC folks, found out how good they really are. Karen and I are looking forward to the apparently well kept secret of the aft balcony on the Dolphin, Caribe and Baja desks. Best place to wake watch and maybe some nice sunsets as well. Welcome aboard. Hope everyone can meet at a Meet and Greet.

Cheers, Kenn

Archived