• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Help I have myself confused regarding passports

shelby2002

We are doing a repo crise in April leaving out of Tampa and ending in Puerto Rico. Both myself and husband have passport books, however we got the kids the passport cards, they will be OK to fly back from Puerto Rico with these correct. They are not old enough to have any goverment issued drivers license, they are 11 and 13. Are we OK?

Thanks,

Shelby

You don't need a passport to fly from PR or the American Virgin Islands. They are part of the US---so effectively, you aren't "out of the country". Your kids are fine.

Correct!

However, I think all US citizens should go ahead and get a passport. You wouldn't want to be left behind in the event a last minute, awesome, passport-requiring trip came your way!

As a previous poster stated, passports are not required to fly from PR to the mainland.

You, and your children, will however need to prove your identity to reenter

the US (in San Juan) after your foreign ports. Both the passport book and card are and will be suitable for this.

Aloha,

john

We are doing a repo crise in April leaving out of Tampa and ending in Puerto Rico. Both myself and husband have passport books, however we got the kids the passport cards, they will be OK to fly back from Puerto Rico with these correct. They are not old enough to have any goverment issued drivers license, they are 11 and 13. Are we OK?

Thanks,

Shelby

Yup, as long as you stay Puerto rico and the USVI (St John, St Thomas, St Croix, etc) noone needs a passport. If you were on a nonrepo cruise I would say you may want to consider books for one reason - if you miss the ship in PR and have to catch up at the next port of call, like St. Maarten, you would not be able to without a passport. Happened to my friend in Ft. Lauderdale. Plane was late so they offered to fly them to Cozumel to catch the ship, but son didnt have any passport, so they were stuff in Florida without a refund.

The passport cards, for future reference, are now good for land or sea travel to the Bermuda, Canada and Mexico.

Archived