• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Anti-Norovirus Hand Cleaners

JJPacer

Thank you for the info. I have put products on my need to find list.

I have had the noro on a cruise. Didn't let it ruin my whole vacation but it was the sickest I had been in a long time.:eek: I try very hard now to follow any guidelines I can find.

First, I have been bashing rumor and wives’ tales about the Noro for some years here. Purel and the like have NEVER claimed to have ANY effect on Noro.

I did some searching on the above link and was lead to the following:

http://www.pureworkselite.com/index.html#

They do not make any claim about the Noro, but do claim to kill other virus. They DO state that the washing of hands is still the most effective defense. A 7 oz bottle goes for $22. Everything I saw was from 2008 and was based on the claims of the manufacturer.

IF I WAS UNABLE TO WASH MY HANDS, I might buy this product. But since my cabin comes equipped with a bathroom, I’ll pass.

So the moral of the story is: Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands and don't put your hands to your face.

The wipes might be good if you're totally paranoid about how your cabin has been cleaned prior to your embarkation... :rolleyes:

I mentioned this on another post.

Another good idea is to bring along some Oil of Oreganol. It comes in a small bottle and all you need is a drop of this stuff under your tongue. (chase it down with some o.j) Its an extremely potent germ killer--I swear by it & I have been taking it for years.

All i can say is getting Noro on your cruise is no fun. Bad enough when you are "mom" and get sick try Mom, 8yr old and 13yr old at same time.ahhh.... I am firm that we caught the virus i buffet. Even if you wash your hands prior to entering buffet, people get their food, eat with hands- then- go back to buffet and touch serving spoons. You need to sanitize your hands right before you eat and after u have been to buffet..... It is a never ending cycle, but luckily we have only been sick on one cruise, and it was a very sick boat and most of the crew was ill too....

Some 'rules' my family lives by, onboard and otherwise.

*Wash, wash, wash, your hands! Every opportunity you get!

*Keep hands out of mouth, away from eyes, nose, and any broken skin.

*Use paper towels to turn off water and open doors in public restrooms.

*Wash hands between serving yourself at the buffet and eating. Food

might be a little cool, but it's better than being sick for days.

*Don't pick up the food where utensil handles have been dropped. (I

see this all the time!..and the servers make it worse by scooting the

food around so you don't know what's been contaminated.).

*Don't eat 'finger foods' with the same hand you use to dip foods at

buffets if you can't manage to wash between serving and eating.

*Cough into a tissue, or at least cover your mouth with your sleeve, not

your hand unless you can wash immediately.

*Carry individual handwipes if possible.

If I didn't think I'd be looked at as wacko, I'd consider wearing a pair of clean disposible vinyl gloves in the buffet line and discard them prior to eating. If you take note of what people do with their hands prior to and even in the buffet line, it can really put a damper on hunger. :D

Maybe I'm a bit of a germ-phob, a side effect of my career. However, bacteria and virus' are everywhere, some normal and beneficial, some pathogenic... we just try to avoid the bad as best we can... while still thoroughly enjoying cruising, and eating. :)

So the moral of the story is: Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands and don't put your hands to your face.

The wipes might be good if you're totally paranoid about how your cabin has been cleaned prior to your embarkation... :rolleyes:

I totally agree. Nothing replaces frequent hand washing. Over 35 cruises to date and not once have we caught noro on a cruise. Lucky? No. Careful? Yes! Soap and warm water is the best defense!

This is a thread on the Azamara message board. It has good information, and I thought others would like to educate themselves on how to protect themselves from the norovirus. I learned information that I did not know.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=935088

I do some work in infection control in a hospital and have strongly supported proper handwashing techniques as well as the use of purell. I am always walking around with my little bottle of purell attached to my belt, especially on planes and cruises where the surfaces can be ridden with germs. So, you can imagine my surprise at this article that was posted. At first I didn't believe it so went to the CDC website and found the following: :eek: (thanks so much for the info....all this time I thought I was ultra anal about my hand cleanliness)

Using alcohol-based hand antiseptics

The use of alcohol-based hand antiseptics (hand sanitizers) does not replace the need for frequent and proper hand washing. The efficacy of most alcohol-based hand antiseptics approximates simple hand washing. In addition, many alcohol-based hand antiseptics have very poor activity against bactreial spores, protozoan cysts and certain non-enveloped viruses, such as noroviruses. Alcohol-based hand antiseptics appear to have very good to excellent activity against many bacteria and some enveloped viruses. Some scientific evidence suggest that ethanol-based hand antiseptics containing 60-90 percent alcohol, appear to be the most effective against common pathogens (including non-enveloped viruses) that cause acute gastroenteritis on cruise ships. In general, ethanol-based hand antiseptics appear to have greater antimicrobial activity against viruses than isopropanol-based hand antiseptics, although both appear to offer some activity against these pathogens.

It should be noted that alcohol-based hand antiseptics are not effective on hands that are visibly dirty or those contaminated with organic materials. Hands that are visibly dirty or contaminated with organic material must be wash with soap and water, even if hand antiseptics are to be used as an adjunct measure. It is also worth noting that the amount of alcohol-based hand antiseptic is important to its overall effectiveness. Failure to cover all surfaces of the hands and fingers will also greatly reduce the efficacy of alcohol-based hand antiseptics.

The Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) position on the use of hand antiseptics is that they may be used as an adjunct to proper hand washing. Given the environment of a cruise ship and the types of pathogens present, we believe, if alcohol-based hand antiseptics are used, ethanol-based products should be considered over isopropanol-based products.

I do some work in infection control in a hospital and have strongly supported proper handwashing techniques as well as the use of purell...So, you can imagine my surprise at this article that was posted. At first I didn't believe it so went to the CDC website and found the following: :eek:[/u]

Thank you for having an open mind. There are people who believe that Purel, Lysol and Listerine will protect them from anything on the planet. You can post articles and links to websites all day but the “urban legend” still lives on.

Thank you for having an open mind. There are people who believe that Purel, Lysol and Listerine will protect them from anything on the planet. You can post articles and links to websites all day but the “urban legend” still lives on.

I hear exactly what you are saying .... some folks think they can do it all with eye of newt and a bat wing :D!!

Archived