• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Paul Gauguin cabin choice

CatMom7

We are looking at booking the PG November 22 cruise which is a 14 night cruise from Fiji back to Papeete. If anyone has sailed this itinerary can you tell me which side of the ship is best to have your cabin on? I know that when we previously sailed on the 7 night PG cruise itinerary a few years ago we loved being on the starboard side for the views from our balcony. Also, has anyone seen the deck 6 balcony cabins? Most of the cabins remaining on deck 7 are toward the back and I am concerned there might be vibration back there like Voyager. On deck 6 cabin 625 is available as well as a few others. Does anyone know if 625 would have elevator noise or obstructed views since it is close to the lifeboats?

Thanks for your help. This is an anniversary cruise so I want it to be special.

Maryellen

We are looking at booking the PG November 22 cruise which is a 14 night cruise from Fiji back to Papeete. If anyone has sailed this itinerary can you tell me which side of the ship is best to have your cabin on? Maryellen

We were on port side on deck 7, but I don't think it would really make much difference.

Catmom7, we have been in that exact cabin once, prior to it being transformed to a balcony cabin. It's a great location. No noise from the elevator. No obstructions, and very close to the La Veranda. Midship and no motion on a good sea day! We even managed to have wi fi in cabin there! Having said all that, we have been on Deck 8 twice and Deck six once. There is really no bad cabin on the PG to me!! You will love the honeymoon/anniversary celebration that they do. A must not miss!!!

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone out there had been in 625. We put a hold on that cabin. Hopefully the weather in November/December is OK. We definitely will try the anniversary celebration. We are now trying to iron out some issues with our ship board credits. We have a promotional certificate from Regent for $500 SBC which they are now saying they sent the mailing out by mistake because it should have only gone to previous customers who hadn't sailed with them in 3 years but we have sailed twice in that time. Our TA is going to bat for us on this with Regent. We also have an additional $400 SBC from our TA that they are saying we cannot use to book advance shore excursions. The PG does not have free excursions so we were planning to use the $900 for that purpose. I realize we have the option to wait until we are onboard to book the excursions, but we have run into cases in the past when the excursions we wanted were full. Our TA says they have started to get many complaints in the last few days about this so they have a meeting scheduled next week with Regent management to discuss. I don't mind paying in advance for excursions, but they should let you charge them against your SBC. If not, SBC are not much of an incentive to me.

Thanks, Maryellen

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping up this thread with a question;

DH and I have been offered limited cabin choices on PG this summer; CAT D on Deck 6: 601, 602, or 603. Any info, good, bad, or ugly is greatly appreciated. Not sure which one to choose ( and not real sure if it really matters)! I'm only concerend about lots of noise and or obstructions of any sort. Let me know if you have any scoop. Thanks!

Looking at the ship layout, there's not much to choose. All close to the bow. I doubt it matters which side you're on. I might choose 603 just because it's one back from the bow, but probably does not matter a whit.

On the subject of weather in November/December, and Fiji. It can be stormy and rainy, but you take your chances with this any time of year, the probabilities are a bit higher, that's all. Weather in the Societies will be hot and sticky, guaranteed.

As for the OBC's and not being able to use them to pay for excursions. This is an ongoing complaint and battle that I believe many TA's are presenting to Regent right now. It's a glitch in their "pay now" system, which I believe should (and probably will) be rectified. If it turns out it's just the $400, you can easily spend that in the spa, or if $900, buy yourself a nice little pearl solitaire necklace! :D The Tahia Collins store on the ship has some yummy merchandise.

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful with forward cabins on Deck 6...One year, I was in one port side a few from the bow and it was right under the stage/ballroom. Not that any show goes THAT late but they rehearse during the day and all that. If noise bothers you, beware. I always book cabins around midship or aft. Have a ball!:cool:

Be careful with forward cabins on Deck 6...One year, I was in one port side a few from the bow and it was right under the stage/ballroom. Not that any show goes THAT late but they rehearse during the day and all that. If noise bothers you, beware. I always book cabins around midship or aft. Have a ball!:cool:

laurelguy, thanks for the scoop. We were able to move again recently, this time to deck 7 near the fancy real estate. :)

Hi experienced Paul Gauguin cruisers:

We're booked in Cabin 707 on 9/26/09 Paul Gauguin cruise. From the deck plan looks like we might be located next to a service elevator. Anyone stayed in this cabin and was the area quiet? Thanks.

I believe you mean *opposite* a service elevator? It's hard to say what that thing is from the deck diagram. You are just forward of the stairs, by the look of it, and therefore close to the elevators.

I can't comment on this specific situation, but I have been opposite a service elevator on another ship, and we never heard a thing. In general, the staterooms are pretty quiet once you're in them, and that's been true of my PG cabins, regardless of where they are.

Archived