• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Spirit or Splendor?

newwcruiserrr

so i want to take my first cruise ever to the mexican riviera in april, there are two ships going there, Carnival Spirit or the Carnival Splendor and i cant choose between them. So i was wondering if anyone has an oppinion as to which ship is better, or just some experiences on either of these ships. thanks!!

also, money isnt really a factor, so it doesnt matter which is cheaper. thanksss!! :)

so i want to take my first cruise ever to the mexican riviera in april, there are two ships going there, Carnival Spirit or the Carnival Splendor and i cant choose between them. So i was wondering if anyone has an oppinion as to which ship is better, or just some experiences on either of these ships. thanks!!

also, money isnt really a factor, so it doesnt matter which is cheaper. thanksss!! :)

There is a BIG CC Group on the 4/26/09 Spelndor :) Not sure if it too late to book as part of the group since we are past final payment date.

There is a BIG CC Group on the 4/26/09 Spelndor :) Not sure if it too late to book as part of the group since we are past final payment date.

im in college and my spring break is the 04/05-04/10 so i have to go then, otherwise i probably would try and go with you guys.

We went to Alaska on the Spirit in August. I was not my favorite ship. Can't put my finger on why..........it just wasn't. I love the Conquest and the Splendor is similar.........So my vote would be the Splendor. I'll find out in April. I'll be with that big CC group!:D

Except if you are looking at the Spirit for 04/05 it is a special 7 day itinerary, I know because I am on it.

Now the two itineraries are similar, Cabo, Matzalan, on the Spirit you go to La Paz and on the Splendor, you go to Puerta Vallarta. You would probably have more fun in Puerta Vallarta, there are all kinds of great excursions to do there, number one of which for you may be ziplining. La Paz is a very sleepy resort town and it's all about a palapa on the beach.

thanks so much for all the advice!! im really tempted by the splendor too cause its new.. but i also read some reviews that its really rocky ship cause its so big, or something. Does anyone know if this is true or false? i get seasick easily and a lot of the time medicine doesnt work for me, so if it is true, then i will just go with the smaller spirit. I wouldnt wanna risk being sick my entire cruise! :(

Well, that will be hard to answer because what you are reading about pertains to the Caribbean sailings and now she's going to be in the Pacific. My last few Mexican Riviera cruises, (11/08, 12/08 and 1/09), the ocean has been like a lake for most of the cruise.

I will be on the Splendor West Coast Inagaural Cruise to Nowhere March 24-26th, but that will be too late to report back to you.

Have you tried Bonine? My DH swears by it and he can't ride Merry Go Rounds and such.

If you deceide on the Spirit, come on over to our thread and sign in.

CWcruisers:

Wow I am supposed to be on the 24-26th cruise also. I am really looking forward to it. I am going as the guest of a travel writer. Which is way cool, I want to check out the Splendor, But I just did the 7 day on the Pride last March. I am such a nerd I have been following the Splendor via the webcam each day. :)

As for the O.P. I had a great time on the Pride (twin of Spirit) last March . Perhaps because of P.V. the Splendor will have a younger crowd. Also check out the virtual tours of both ships on the Carnival website.

Tom in Long Beach

I just got off the Spirit last month ( great Ship, great Time)and I booked the Splendor for next year.....

I Say the Splendor...newer ship great Itinerary.....but at the end of the day it really does not matter you will have fun on either one!

Woodey,

Splendor is on our "Bucket List" of cruises to go on....We are going on the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Spirit in Nov 09. We are looking at possibly going on the Splendor sometime in 2010......our PVP (and friend from our former life in the USAF) has never been to Cabo and we are looking forward to some type of reunion with her and possibly her family.....

So.....we are keeping our fingers crossed and hoping the future works out for all of us. Would be GREAT to see them again, especially on one of Carnival's newest vessel's. :)

Well, that will be hard to answer because what you are reading about pertains to the Caribbean sailings and now she's going to be in the Pacific. My last few Mexican Riviera cruises, (11/08, 12/08 and 1/09), the ocean has been like a lake for most of the cruise.

I will be on the Splendor West Coast Inagaural Cruise to Nowhere March 24-26th, but that will be too late to report back to you.

Have you tried Bonine? My DH swears by it and he can't ride Merry Go Rounds and such.

If you deceide on the Spirit, come on over to our thread and sign in.

Just wondering, how was the weather on your prior Mexican Riviera trips?

CWcruisers:

Wow I am supposed to be on the 24-26th cruise also. I am really looking forward to it. I am going as the guest of a travel writer. Which is way cool, I want to check out the Splendor, But I just did the 7 day on the Pride last March. I am such a nerd I have been following the Splendor via the webcam each day. :)

As for the O.P. I had a great time on the Pride (twin of Spirit) last March . Perhaps because of P.V. the Splendor will have a younger crowd. Also check out the virtual tours of both ships on the Carnival website.

Tom in Long Beach

Tom-I'm not a TA either, but we book large groups and do seminars on ships and my TA that does our bookings is in Orlando so they are sending us as their West Coast Reps. Can't wait.

There is a roll call for the two day, come check us out.

thanks so much for all the advice!! im really tempted by the splendor too cause its new.. but i also read some reviews that its really rocky ship cause its so big, or something. Does anyone know if this is true or false? i get seasick easily and a lot of the time medicine doesnt work for me, so if it is true, then i will just go with the smaller spirit. I wouldnt wanna risk being sick my entire cruise! :(

In my experience the larger ship have less motion.

When returning to California, from the Mexico cruises, there is always a bit more motion because the ship is against the current.

I booked the 4/5 Splendor instead of the Spirit for two reasons:

A: new, very large ship. My last cruise was on the Elation, so I want to see the difference between a small older ship and a nice big new one.

B: Departs from LA rather than San Diego. This is much closer for me.

I think the spirit cruise might be a little less expensive, so if that is a big factor, you'd prolly save a few bux on the Spirit.

I would have to go with the Spirit and an extra day. I personally like the ports better also. I had the same choice you do for my New Years cruise coming up, the Splendor was more expensive and 7 days, versus the Spirit and 8. For me it was a no-brainer, another day on the ship.. Sign me up!:D

That being said I am working on putting together a CC Group on the Splendor for early August 2010. I want to go on that ship really bad, The pictures are beautiful! Everyone is welcome!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=934488

That being said I am working on putting together a CC Group on the Splendor for early August 2010. I want to go on that ship really bad, The pictures are beautiful! Everyone is welcome!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=934488

I'd love to do a CC group cruise sometime, but Mexico in August? :eek: It would be so crazy hot.

I love the Spirit. We've sailed on her twice and have another lined up for October. I always choose the extra night whenever possible. If both were 7 night cruises as was mentioned above, I would probably choose the Splendor just to see the new ship.

We did the Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Splendor. It is an improvement over the Conquest class ships in my opinion as the after part of the Lido deck is open. That is my favorite place to hang out at sea as I enjoy watching the waves go by.

Having the Magrodome (movable roof) over the main pool does make for somewhat less space for lounging in the sun, but there is still plenty of that.

Doc:D

thanks for all the help! im am reading like EVERY thread on this site cause this is my first cruise so thanks for all the responses you guys give! its really helping me a lot! especially the rum runner thread! that will really help save money since i will be on my college spring break :D!! but i think i have decided with the splendor.. test out the new ship! and also, the departure port is much closer to me. i just hope i dont get sick!!

but, i used the new code.. and i dont see any price drop.. just the free upgrade.. am i doing something wrong? or.. did i not understand the sale completely?

thanks for all the help! im am reading like EVERY thread on this site cause this is my first cruise so thanks for all the responses you guys give! its really helping me a lot! especially the rum runner thread! that will really help save money since i will be on my college spring break :D!! but i think i have decided with the splendor.. test out the new ship! and also, the departure port is much closer to me. i just hope i dont get sick!!

but, i used the new code.. and i dont see any price drop.. just the free upgrade.. am i doing something wrong? or.. did i not understand the sale completely?

Cool! Great choice! Maybe I'll run into you on that cruise! Come on over to the roll call forum for this cruise! :)

I was going to cast a vote for the Splendor too. That is just because I am on that cruise. We were excited by the fact that it is a new boat and the only cruise I have been on before was a 3 day to Ensenada. I am excited to see Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo.

Archived