• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

cinnamon bay or trunk bay?

worthyfamily

What are the primary differences between these two beaches? My husband has a friend who loves Cinnamon Bay and I have read that Trunk Bay is the best. We are a family of five, 3 teenagers. I love to soak in the sun, float in beautiful waters, have a nice chair and a place for lunch. The others in my family are not huge snorkelers but would love partake in some snorkeling if it were there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Both have their positives. :)

I liked Trunk Bay better, but we also would get there early in the morning, before the crowds showed up. Both are absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know how long you have, but it's only a few minutes by taxi to Cinnamon from Trunk----nothing's "far" on the island. My family and I spent a week there, and we would wake up around 8am, grab lunches, drive over to Hawksnest, Trunk, or Cinnamon---hang out from 9-11 or so, drive over to one of the others, etc, then go back to the house around 1 or 2, when the sun got to be too much. We'd almost always hit two beaches during that time.

Can someone who's done this on a cruise schedule weigh in? I'd think it would be feasible to grab an open-air taxi over (or rent a car for the day), but has anyone else done this?

MUCH less crowded. Still has washrooms, and showers. I felt the water was more clear at cinnamon also, as less "sun-lotion film" exsits. Trunk bay is more touristy, thats where all the shuttles go, excursions, etc.....I loved cinnamon bay. It is only about 5 minutes away from trunk, closer to the pier.....

BK

We tried to go to Cinnamon, but because of hurricanes out in the ocean there was literally no beach there! We ended up at Trunk. When we got there, we took a left and walked far down on the beach and it wasn't so crowded. It's a beautiful beach and they have a food, drink and a tiny gift shop.

MUCH less crowded. Still has washrooms, and showers. I felt the water was more clear at cinnamon also, as less "sun-lotion film" exsits. Trunk bay is more touristy, thats where all the shuttles go, excursions, etc.....I loved cinnamon bay. It is only about 5 minutes away from trunk, closer to the pier.....

BK

Na, Cinnamon is farther from the pier. Main beaches go: Hawksnest, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho.

Trunk Bay is more touristy, usually more crowded. But crowded on St. John isn't "crowded" on mainland beach standards. I've posted pics before, lemme find the link, one is from a "lots of cruise ships @ St. Thomas day".

OK, here it is. Scroll down til you see pics, those are mine. All of it's right, except the pic labeled "Looking out toward the snorkeling trail, Trunk Bay" is actually of Cinnamon, I'm pretty sure.

When I was on St. John last, the water was a bit rougher at Cinnamon, I think that's why I wasn't as big of a fan. Probably just the days I was there. :p Cinnamon's got neat archeology digs goin' on, too.

I thought the waters were equally clear, actually preferred Hawksnest for snorkeling, but it was calm there when I was visiting; I've heard it can get a little cloudy when the waves are up.

Again, thanks for all of the replies. First, if we go to Cinnamon, where specifically would be tell a cab to drop us off? Will there be cabs there to pick us up? I know they rent kayaks, snorkeling stuff, etc., but do they rent chairs? When you say less crowded, does that mean desolate? I know my kids would like for there to be "some action" going on, but it sounds like Trunk Bay may be more of a zoo.

I've been to both and prefer Cinnamon. I've no interest in returning to Trunk Bay. Way too commercial for me.

Here's a basic comparison based on my observations:

• Trunk Bay charges admission. Cinnamon Bay plus all the other beaches on St. John do not.
  • Both offer food. Trunk Bay had a small snack bar, if I remember correctly. Cinnamon belongs to a US National Park Service campground and has a convenience store plus a sit-down restaurant.
  • Trunk has a nice shower/changing area. Cinnamon probably has one too but when we were there we did not use it.
  • Waters in Trunk bay are generally calm. Cinnamon can have small waves.
  • You can snorkel at both beaches. The underwater snorkeling trail at Trunk is pretty neat. Cinnamon does not have an underwater trail.
  • Cinnamon has a short hiking trail that takes you to some sugar plantation ruins. No hiking trail at Trunk.
  • Cinnamon generally does not get crowded. Trunk can get very crowded on days when a lot of ships are calling on St. Thomas. The lifeguards at Trunk do their best to make sure no one steps on (what's left of) the coral so every so often you'll hear them shouting over the loudspeakers for people to step off the coral. Listening to that is not my idea of an idyllic beach day. :o
  • Best months to head to Trunk Bay are the summer months, which is the off-season down there for cruise ships and for land-based vacationers. You can head to Cinnamon any time and not worry about crowding. The first time I went to Trunk Bay was during a January. There were 6 ships in town the same day, it was cloudy and rainy, and you were hard-pressed to find a place to put your towel. The second time I went was during July that same year. Two ships were in town. It was much more tolerable but the lifeguards were still hollering over their bullhorns for people stay off the coral...LOL.
  • The scenery at each beach is lovely. But a number of folks here will give a slight edge to Trunk Bay.

Cinnamon is not desolate by any means. There will be people there, it's just that they won't packed in there like sardines in a can. :p It's easy to grab a cab to Cinnamon and back to the ferry dock. When you're ready to return, there will be taxis parked in the lot waiting for passengers.

I have pictures from both beaches here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

• The lifeguards at Trunk do their best to make sure no one steps on (what's left of) the coral so every so often you'll hear them shouting over the loudspeakers for people to step off the coral. Listening to that is not my idea of an idyllic beach day. :o

Can anyone who's been to Trunk more recently say if this is still happening? I was there in 2006, and I never once heard any of the lifeguards on a bullhorn. In fact, the only time I even noticed there was a lifeguard was because I wanted to ask him about the resident barracuda out on the snorkeling trail. :)

I mean, I spent a week there in high season (March) and there was never a beach-crowding problem like you described (my pics show the most-crowded day of the whole week), and never loudspeaker announcements. Yikes! That sounds awful!

Can anyone who's been to Trunk more recently say if this is still happening? I was there in 2006, and I never once heard any of the lifeguards on a bullhorn. In fact, the only time I even noticed there was a lifeguard was because I wanted to ask him about the resident barracuda out on the snorkeling trail. :)

I mean, I spent a week there in high season (March) and there was never a beach-crowding problem like you described (my pics show the most-crowded day of the whole week), and never loudspeaker announcements. Yikes! That sounds awful!

i was at Trunk Bay about a week and a half ago. We got there around 930am and left around 1230pm. It was beginning to get relatively crowded close to lunchtime...however, it didn't think it was bad at all.

my wife and i heard one announcement. we couldn't tell what it was and i now assume it was a lifeguard on a bullhorn!

from what the original poster says he/she wants, i believe Trunk Bay is perfect. never been to cinammon, although from the pics I don't believe it is nearly as pretty of a beach.

Trunk Bay is the best beach I have been to in the Carib or Florida or Hawaii...highly recommend it.

It was pretty bad that January I was there. The weather wasn't the best, either, so I shudder to think what it would have been like had the weather been better. We walked as far from the concession stands as we could and still had a problem finding a place to put our towels. We ventured there on our own and arrived at Trunk bay at 10:30 in the morning. Several cruise ship excursions arrived after we did. Every few minutes there was a lifeguard shouting for folks to stay off the coral. :eek:

When we went the following July during a land-based vacation, it was much nicer and that's when the photos that are on my site were taken. But those cotton-pickin' lifeguards were still shouting over the loudspeakers for people to stay off the coral. :p

Was I glad I went there? Absolutely! :D Would I go there again? Nope. :D

I've been to both and prefer Cinnamon. I've no interest in returning to Trunk Bay. Way too commercial for me.

Here's a basic comparison based on my observations:

• Trunk Bay charges admission. Cinnamon Bay plus all the other beaches on St. John do not.
  • Both offer food. Trunk Bay had a small snack bar, if I remember correctly. Cinnamon belongs to a US National Park Service campground and has a convenience store plus a sit-down restaurant.
  • Trunk has a nice shower/changing area. Cinnamon probably has one too but when we were there we did not use it.
  • Waters in Trunk bay are generally calm. Cinnamon can have small waves.
  • You can snorkel at both beaches. The underwater snorkeling trail at Trunk is pretty neat. Cinnamon does not have an underwater trail.
  • Cinnamon has a short hiking trail that takes you to some sugar plantation ruins. No hiking trail at Trunk.
  • Cinnamon generally does not get crowded. Trunk can get very crowded on days when a lot of ships are calling on St. Thomas. The lifeguards at Trunk do their best to make sure no one steps on (what's left of) the coral so every so often you'll hear them shouting over the loudspeakers for people to step off the coral. Listening to that is not my idea of an idyllic beach day. :o
  • Best months to head to Trunk Bay are the summer months, which is the off-season down there for cruise ships and for land-based vacationers. You can head to Cinnamon any time and not worry about crowding. The first time I went to Trunk Bay was during a January. There were 6 ships in town the same day, it was cloudy and rainy, and you were hard-pressed to find a place to put your towel. The second time I went was during July that same year. Two ships were in town. It was much more tolerable but the lifeguards were still hollering over their bullhorns for people stay off the coral...LOL.
  • The scenery at each beach is lovely. But a number of folks here will give a slight edge to Trunk Bay.

Cinnamon is not desolate by any means. There will be people there, it's just that they won't packed in there like sardines in a can. :p It's easy to grab a cab to Cinnamon and back to the ferry dock. When you're ready to return, there will be taxis parked in the lot waiting for passengers.

I have pictures from both beaches here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

Fabulous pictures! They answered a lot of my questions about beaches in St. John/St. Thomas. Best gallery I have seen! Thank you!

Barb

Here's a shot of Trunk Bay around noon on a weekday in March with 4 cruise ships in St Thomas.

DSC04963.jpg

It's not what I consider to be wildly crowded, but Cinnamon Bay is likely to have fewer people. I'd pick one rather than be jockeying back and forth and paying for an extra cab ride. You really can't lose.

The water at both can be a bit murky due to wave action. People often rave about the snorkelling trail at Trunk Bay but I didn't find it to be anything special.

I was at Trunk Bay and did not hear any announcements from the Lifeguards. However, HAL Eurodam was anchored in St. John that day and the beach was packed. Personally, I like Hawksnest Beach.

Enjoy

I was at Trunk Bay and did not hear any announcements from the Lifeguards. However, HAL Eurodam was anchored in St. John that day and the beach was packed. Personally, I like Hawksnest Beach.

Enjoy

Sorry - I forgot to include that I was there last week.

I was just there last Tuesday (3 ships in St. Thomas and Legend in St. John)

It started to fill up around 12 noon but there was still room for people to find shade. No announcements by life guards. I do find it funny that people complain about the corals dying, but then get annoyed if the life guards try to prevent it by making announcements.:rolleyes: Unfortunately many visitors don't realize that coral is a living thing. They walk on them as if they are rocks. The beach is still one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean!

Regards from sunny St. Croix,

Ellen

• 2 weeks later...
What are the primary differences between these two beaches? My husband has a friend who loves Cinnamon Bay and I have read that Trunk Bay is the best. We are a family of five, 3 teenagers. I love to soak in the sun, float in beautiful waters, have a nice chair and a place for lunch. The others in my family are not huge snorkelers but would love partake in some snorkeling if it were there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been to Trunk, but have been to many St. John beaches on a land vacation. The only one that I remember having chairs was Caneel Bay. They were owned by the hotel, but we were there late in the day and the beach was nearly empty by then so no one cared if we used the chairs. The wind was so strong at the other beaches we had to look at a map and figure out the direction of the wind and which beach would be protected from it. Cinnamon was beautiful, but it was so windy that the sand was like needles. We spent all our time in the water so we wouldn't be pelted by sand. It was funny and we wished it wasn't happening because we would have loved to stay. Our favorite beach was Hawksnest, but there are not facilities.

Archived