• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Is this guy serious? Ryanair and pay toilets.

Cruisin' Ron VA

An MSNBC article made more light of the suggestion by saying: A spokesman said the airline had considered the fee as a possible source of extra revenue since passengers had the option of not using the toilet on board, but added that “maybe O’Leary was just taking the p—ss this morning.”

As backdrop, Ryanair’s ... spokesman cautioned Michael O’Leary often just made things up at will.

He is known to be a publicity hound so probably not going to happen. On the other hand a small local regional airline flying from our community whose planes never go further than 1 1/2 hours does not have a toilet on their planes. You go in the terminal before boarding. Gets 4 more seats.

Is this guy just looking for publicity for his airline ...?
Yes, of course he is.

Anyway, the fact that it was a joke is obvious if you bother to look at what the interview was about, and factor in the fact that this is a very long-standing joke about Ryanair which the Mouth has simply adopted. Of course, the idiot media aren't bright enough to be able to distinguish between something that he means to say, and something that is just a throwaway funny. So they whip up the story into a frenzy, the general public (that can't be bothered to look into the origin of the story or to think about its accuracy, but simply accept what the media spoon feed them) start to believe that it's a real story, and the Mouth gets his free publicity.

No wonder I've pretty much stopped reading newspapers ...

The Belfast Telegraph writes O'Leary "is touting the idea of putting a coin slot on the toilet door as a means of raising ‘discretionary revenue."

"Ryanair could begin charging passengers to use the toilet." said Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary, in comments to BBC television.

"One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound (about $1.43) to spend a penny in future," O'Leary told the BBC.

"We are always looking at ways of making air travel cheaper," said O'Leary.

A BBC anchor asked what the airline would do if a passenger boarded a flight without cash and needed to use the bathroom. O'Leary didn’t seem concerned. "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound."

Bizarre n'est ce pas?

Reminds me of the hoopla about the Israeli comedian's comments about Jesus. Completely taken out of context and he's had to apologize... but there was nothing to apologize for, because his skit started with "imagine if..." and was in response to one bishops holocaust denial. He just turned it on it's ear and made fun of it.

People can't tell the difference between reality and comedy.

Yes, of course he is.

Anyway, the fact that it was a joke is obvious if you bother to look at what the interview was about, and factor in the fact that this is a very long-standing joke about Ryanair which the Mouth has simply adopted. Of course, the idiot media aren't bright enough to be able to distinguish between something that he means to say, and something that is just a throwaway funny. So they whip up the story into a frenzy, the general public (that can't be bothered to look into the origin of the story or to think about its accuracy, but simply accept what the media spoon feed them) start to believe that it's a real story, and the Mouth gets his free publicity.

No wonder I've pretty much stopped reading newspapers ...

I've always thought that reading newspapers is far better than watching the news. All you get on TV is pretty much the headline, to get the meat of the story you have to read the whole thing...then hope the reporter got the story correct ;)

I'm always amazed how the general public believes whatever television media wants to dish out. Especially 60 minutes, 20/20, Geraldo, Nancy Grace etc....

I'm starting to think that Joaquin Phoenix is onto something, so many people actually believe his antics are truth rather than spoof :)

I've always thought that reading newspapers is far better than watching the news.
That's certainly true. I generally don't watch TV at all, "news" or otherwise. But newspapers have become close to complete rubbish as well.
This airline has also announced they are considering allowing cell phones usage during flight.
It's more than "considering". The equipment is being installed and the first live service was on Thursday last week (19 February).

This airline has also announced they are considering allowing cell phones usage during flight.

Cell phone usage on an airplane isn't really all that difficult. The problem is that there needs to be a "cell" on the plane that connects to the ground. And Ryanair is already testing it live.

The problem with using a cellular phone on an airplane is that it violates US law on "channel reuse". Essentially your signal is always connected to the strongest antenna and can only be faintly heard at any other cell. When you are on an airplane you cell phone instead of using the lowest power instead uses the highest power and it can be heard in many cells at the same time, essentially clogging up channels all over the place and of course, several cells think that it is in control and routing the phone call.

The equipment that an airline uses has a different frequency to connect to the ground and doesn't interfere with the other channels. Essentially you have a flying cell with a ground connection that reconnects to a single ground cell.

• 3 months later...

JUNE UPDATE:

From the UK Guardian.....

Ryanair boss, Michael O'Leary, insisted today that it will cost passengers a pound to spend a penny as he confirmed plans to charge for toilets on his aeroplanes within two years.

The chief executive of Europe's largest budget carrier said the airline would also generate extra revenues by removing two out of the three toilets on its Boeing 737-800 jets and filling the space with up to six seats.

So, from the horse's mouth....or maybe another part of that horse. I liked the part in the the article where they said:

O'Leary, who has acquired the nickname Michael O'Really within aviation circles for some of his more outlandish claims.

The idea sounds stupid, actually it is stupid. I'm not sure what the FA will do if a passenger holds the door open for the next passenger.

I don't know if it's true but I've read the bathrooms in most of the airports

Ryan Air uses are pay toilets. His point is a passenger that has to pay to use a bathroom in the airport shouldn't complain if he has to pay to use a bathroom on the plane.

US airports don't have pay toilets. I don't think the major airports in Europe have pay toilets either.

Said it before, I'll say it again. Airline of last resort. Anyone who uses them to get anywhere or meet a key deadline, such as a cruise departure or connecting flight without a good fall back plan is, shall we say, braver than me.

As for the bathroom project, I would not like to see the aircraft interior after the return of a load of UK football supporters from an away match who found themselves sans £1 coins and anxious to return 10 pints of lager to the ecosystem. Mind you, Ryanair plastic seats appear to have been diverted from a bus shelter, so I suppose a hose down will keep the turn-round time down.

So, from the horse's mouth....or maybe another part of that horse. I liked the part in the the article where they said:
O'Leary, who has acquired the nickname Michael O'Really within aviation circles for some of his more outlandish claims.
I vote for another part of the horse.

That is a polite nickname for him. I more often see "Michael O'Liary" - after all, he runs "Liarair".

I still don't believe that he will implement this - or, for that matter, be allowed to. (Mind you, given that the Irish CAA is so much in MO'L and FR's pockets, maybe one shouldn't be surprised if they do allow it.)

Incidentally, for anyone who's geeky enough to know about the incident at CIA, the final report has recently been published. (Anyone who doesn't already know what that incident was probably shouldn't ask.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090227/ap_on_re_eu/eu_ireland_ryanair_pay_toilets

Pay toilets on airplanes? Get real. Is this guy jut looking for publicity for his airline or what?

It's nuts, for sure.

However, most of Ryanair's flights are 3 hours or less with most of them falling in the 1-2 hour range. A well planned pre-flight trip to the airport facilities should do for most.

As for the bathroom project, I would not like to see the aircraft interior after the return of a load of UK football supporters from an away match who found themselves sans £1 coins and anxious to return 10 pints of lager to the ecosystem.

Not coins. I read a couple of days ago that RyanAir was negotiating with Boeing about having credit card readers installed on the toilet doors.

Mind you, Ryanair plastic seats appear to have been diverted from a bus shelter, so I suppose a hose down will keep the turn-round time down.

What plastic seats? When I had to pull my seat cushion up to look under it for a passport that someone had lost on the previous flight, the cushion looked and felt quite normal. On the other hand, what I saw under the cushion was enough to make me gag. I don't think it had ever been cleaned, so the hose down could be quite useful.

Archived