• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Bermuda for a wheelchair user?

travelteam

Does anyone have experiences for getting to the beaches in Bermuda? Are the buses set up with lifts for the chair? I've been researching and can't seem to find this info. Anyone who has traveled to Bermuda, your experience is needed.

Dee, the last time Leo and I were in Bermuda, we were docked at King's Wharf at the Royal Naval Dockyard. There were no busses that would take so much as a folding wheelchair. and the beaches are not equipped to handle wheelies - no wooden or concrete walks, just sand. Lovely to look at but hell on wheelies!!

We did find that we could take one of the ferries across the water to Hamilton and used the wheelchair there although there are some streets that are quite hilly. Not all ferries will take the wheelchair but they do have a couple of the larger ones that are equipped with a ramp up by the bow.

Incidentally we are sailing on March 4 on the Golden Princess RT from San Pedro(LA) to Hawaii. 8 sea days with stops at Honolulu, Hilo, Kauai and Lahaina(Maui). Have top of the line accessible cabin but not as nice as the JS on Brilliance. But we have been on the Golden before around the British Isles from S'hamptom and then transAtlantic to NYC Hugh:)

Dee, the last time Leo and I were in Bermuda, we were docked at King's Wharf at the Royal Naval Dockyard. There were no busses that would take so much as a folding wheelchair. and the beaches are not equipped to handle wheelies - no wooden or concrete walks, just sand. Lovely to look at but hell on wheelies!!

We did find that we could take one of the ferries across the water to Hamilton and used the wheelchair there although there are some streets that are quite hilly. Not all ferries will take the wheelchair but they do have a couple of the larger ones that are equipped with a ramp up by the bow.

Incidentally we are sailing on March 4 on the Golden Princess RT from San Pedro(LA) to Hawaii. 8 sea days with stops at Honolulu, Hilo, Kauai and Lahaina(Maui). Have top of the line accessible cabin but not as nice as the JS on Brilliance. But we have been on the Golden before around the British Isles from S'hamptom and then transAtlantic to NYC Hugh:)

Thanks Hugh.........we decided on this brief getaway from our home port...just to get some sunshine. Will take your suggestion for taking the ferry for an excursion off the ship. we were hoping that one of the hotels would have day passes for cruise passengers so we could enjoy the beach. Sounds like we will be staying on the ship this trip. Are there any interesting things do see/do around the dockyard that are accepting of the wheelchair?

Sounds like your Hawaii adventure is coming up soon. We had to put our trip off till 2010. We have no state budget here in NY, and my agency financial life depends on it. So this April was no time to be away for three weeks. Enjoy your cruise, and lift an embrella drink for Walt and me.

Dee

Thanks Hugh.........we decided on this brief getaway from our home port...just to get some sunshine. Will take your suggestion for taking the ferry for an excursion off the ship. we were hoping that one of the hotels would have day passes for cruise passengers so we could enjoy the beach. Sounds like we will be staying on the ship this trip. Are there any interesting things do see/do around the dockyard that are accepting of the wheelchair?

Sounds like your Hawaii adventure is coming up soon. We had to put our trip off till 2010. We have no state budget here in NY, and my agency financial life depends on it. So this April was no time to be away for three weeks. Enjoy your cruise, and lift an embrella drink for Walt and me.

Dee

The ferries are great for just a scenic ride! The dockyard has a flat road to its "area" or there is sidewalk - not too many curb cuts once you are on it). At the dockyard -- about 1/2 mile walk there is a small shopping area - a mixture of shops (inside) and then there is another area that has a glass blowing outlet, a rum cake factory, and a pottery factory. Further down is an interesting eatery and arts and crafts shop. (These are all accessible).

Before this is the dolphin swim area -- inside that area there is an interesting museum with WW II artifacts -- (big hill) -- may be called Governor's House -- there is a charge, but well worth it if you can wheel up there. Also beautiful view. I was intrigued by postcards written in code that were on display. I had no idea things like this went on.:)

It's a nice area at the Wharf and up and coming -- during the real season there are vendors in the park-like area.

Hamilton has great shopping -- ferry schedules are posted and easily accessible. Most stores are accessible and lots of eateries. However the problem with Bermuda, although beautiful and safe is that it is expensive. Enjoy. V.

Does anyone have experiences for getting to the beaches in Bermuda? Are the buses set up with lifts for the chair? I've been researching and can't seem to find this info. Anyone who has traveled to Bermuda, your experience is needed.

I use a motorized wheelchair and have been to Bermuda many times, 5 by cruise. There are issues, yes, but you can do A LOT! True, don't take the sidewalk because where there is a curbcut, it's not easily negotiable. Be careful going in the the road because they're narrow, they drive on the opposite side and fast. Yet, I do it every time - just carefully. ALSO, there is a wheelchair accessibe trolley at Dockyard that takes you around the area. The mall is within walking distance and accessible. Most of the tourist sites are accessible. The Rum Cake Factory has a ramp on the far right side. I recommend the Frog & Onion - accessible (when you find it.) The Maritime Museum is accessible and has an elevator. Once inside by paid admission, you can even get to see the Dolphins.

If you can tolerate cobblestones and grassy areas, you'll find more to do than time to do it!

There are also 2 w/c taxi and tour services using mini-vans. The cost is the same as non-accessible taxi hourly rates - as of last year that was $60 p/h. The ferries are wonderful and the operators know wheelchairs! That's how the local wheelchair user get around - while the disabled population may not be noticed by the average tourist, believe me they are there, and by the same percentage as here!

I'm going to reply with some links for you if you're interest in more info.:)

Try this one - I highly recommend them!

http://www.access.bm/

2 other beaches that aren't too bad are St Catherine and Shelley Bay.

thanks for all the information. My DH can walk alittle, but tires easily. He uses a scooter on the ship, but at ports we take the manual wc......cobblestones won't do me at all...........I'll check out your recommendations.

Archived