• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Argostoli,Cephalonia Greece

Queenk2

Perhaps some you C.C.er's can help! Having been to the Med before on other cruises, we opted to take a cruise with some ports I am unfamiliar with. I would love to hear some first hand experience with this port. If you did visit...did you?

1. take a ship tour...I really am not a fan!

2. take a private guide ...recommendations PLEASE!

3. did it on your own...some imput would be quite welcome!

I have searched the boards and found very little!

Thanks!

Karen

Yes, sorry about that. It is a small island. The port, Argostoli, is a rather boring modern city. The north end of the island is the most interesting (older, less developed). Much of the island coastline is dedicated to to package-tour type resorts.

Kefalonia is, at best, a second tier destination. traffic in the city is a PITA but easy outside of town.

I can not recommend a tour company as I drove myself around.

Not sure the time of year you are going or what your interests are, but there are many beautiful beaches on Cephalonia (also spelled Kefalonia).

Myrtos beach is very beautiful. Perhaps you could do a day at the beach during this stop?

What a great idea...sorry I was so vague..we are going to be there in August...very hot and probably the best idea! How would one get to Myrtos beach.Are there any taxis available a the dock? Is this a sand beach or a rock beach?

Thanks,

Karen

Hello Karen, for many years, before we discovered cruising, Kephalonia was our favourite island. We normally visited in the Spring for believe me, high summer really means high temperatures.

She's the biggest of the Ioanian islands which includes amongst others Zakynthos and Corfu but in my opinion, one of the most beautiful Greek Islands we have ever visited, and we've been on a few.

For years, the locals fought to keep the airport small and because of this no large planes can land there, the biggest last time we were there was a 737, so she is still in her raw state as it were.

If you do a trip I would suggest one that includes Fiscard and the Mellisani lake (Both to the North of the Island) this would also include a view of Myrtos beach from the mountain road. Its quite a difficult road down to the beach and a,though it looks lovely from above, the beach is in fact white pebbles with very little sand. If you want a good beach, I would suggest Long beach close to the White Rocks hotel. The taxi drivers know it.

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived