Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lilirose66

zuiderdam, panama canal Jan.2010 ?

I was thinking of booking Zuiderdam next January (3-13) 2010. Panama canal

COUld you tell be which side I should choose to have the best view on my balcony ?

Is it usually raining all day?????

Do you have any recommandations?

Thanks

I presume that this is a "partial transit" cruise since it is a 10 day cruise--- in which case it will not matter which side you are on (assuming you will be getting up very early for the entrance thru the Gatun Locks) as you will be going back out again and will have the opposite view. The best places to view the transit, though, are forward on the lower decks, or up on one of the high decks where you can see all around!

There's no way for us to predict whether you will be in the port or starboard locks, going in or coming out, so there's no way to know which side would be better. And you could be on the poorer side both times.

But - forget staying on your verandah!! Get out and walk around and see all the views. Go to a stern deck as you're leaving the last of the 3 locks.

We had brief hard rain going through the Gaillard/Culebra Cut (ours was a full transit) but none otherwise. If it is raining you can try to get into the Crow's Nest, which will probably be crowded.

I was thinking of booking Zuiderdam next January (3-13) 2010. Panama canal

COUld you tell be which side I should choose to have the best view on my balcony ?

Is it usually raining all day?????

Do you have any recommandations?

Thanks

Get a veranda on starboard, period!!

We did a crossing in 2001 and it rained most of the morning but we wore ponchos and stayed on deck till we reached the lake where we waited to go thru the locks to the Caribbean. Don't worry about the rain enjoy the crossing.

We are doing an opposite crossing this year on the Zuiderdam, April 18th cruise and hoping for better weather.

Have a great next cruise.

we just returned from the Zuiderdam 10 day cruise--a few points they dont tell you -

they encourage you to wake up at 5 AM as you enter the canal area--it takes approx 90 minutes to go thru the canal--if you are taking a tour you will leave the ship on the life boats after the ship passes thru the locks--this will be at around 9 AM--

The ship hangs around the lake for 3 hours then returns thru the locks at around 12 30 PM --so everything you see at 7 AM you will see again at Noon--with no crowds and no need to wake up at 5 AM

then the ship docks for 2 hours and the passengers on tour rejoin the ship--

all the tours are full day tours--I would say 1/3 of the people took a tour --