• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

u.k. cruisers-fuel supplements

angelina46

hi, anyone had their fuel supplements returned as o.b.c. or removed from their final balance? my t. a. doesnt seem to know.thanks

angelina46

We were told by out TA that we will get it back as OBC. This is a bit of a cheek really - it does not have the same value as cash.

yes, and i`m not cruising til november. can imagine having problems by then but i do have an invoice showing £140. its mad that i have to pay it in august-final payment- and get it back 3 months later!

angelina46

Hello, we've recently paid our final balance for our May cruise on Constellation and we had to pay the fuel supplement. I queried this at the time with my TA and they checked with Celebrity who confirmed that it would be refunded as OBC. I also checked direct with Celebrity and this is for UK only!:cool: I couldn't get from them though what exchange rate they will use- what it was when we booked in March 2008 when the $ was nearer 2 to £ or as it will be when we cruise. We'll have to wait and see:)

My understanding is that as the fuel supplements were originally priced in dollars - cannot remember the exact figure something like $7 a day that is the figure you will get back. They were converted to sterling at the time of booking so maybe if this is the case we will do well because at that time it was $1.90 to the £

A

My booking with the fuel supplement is with RCCL, but I think they and Celebrity are handling it the same way. When this OBC refund policy was announced I e-mailed them and told them I wasn't happy to pay it and they removed it from my booking. There's a thread about it on the RCCL board....seems like people who booked through TAs are having a harder time getting it removed than people who booked direct with the cruiseline. This policy is a total cheek IMHO.

My understanding is that as the fuel supplements were originally priced in dollars - cannot remember the exact figure something like $7 a day that is the figure you will get back. They were converted to sterling at the time of booking so maybe if this is the case we will do well because at that time it was $1.90 to the £

A

I don't think this is how they are doing it. Someone who recently returned from an RCCL cruise reported that their OBC was calculated using the exchange rate on the day of sailing.:(

I booked with a UK TA and after serveral phone calls and much grief and insistance from me they have called me this morning and Celebrity have agreed to remove my FS :) So it can be done! I know I will probably spend that much onboard but it's more the principal than anything.

hi, anyone had their fuel supplements returned as o.b.c. or removed from their final balance? my t. a. doesnt seem to know.thanks

angelina46

You pay the fuel supplement with your balance.

It is refunded to you as OBC in US$, calcualted at the £$ rate on the day you sail, The OBC will show up in your account within the first 3 days of the cruise.

Anyone who strongly objects to this can email paxadmin.uk@rccl.com to request to get the fuel surcharge removed. If you booked through a TA then the TA has to request this for you, as X will not discuss anything to do with your boking with you.

I am also booked through a UK TA I did not have a fuel surcharge as I just booked in January for a May cruise but noticed a week after making full payment that the price of our stateroom went down. It took 3 calls but eventually they refunded the difference to my credit card. Sometimes it is worthwhile being persistent.

Janice

I spoke to my TA a few weeks ago. At first they said it would be returned via OBC but when I check the Celebrity website it says that if you a sailing after 1 Jan but not yet paid in full it will be removed from your final bill. I told the TA this and they went away and checked. When they came back sure enough they said it would be removed from my final bill. As yet, they have not sent a revised bill, we are sailing in July 09.

Not on the OBC but got a brochure today from X that is provided for the UK passengers.

The wording on the new brochure is much clearer on price reductions stating that they will refund this. Also states if they increase the price depending on circumstances they will allow you to cancel. I think this should make it easier for UK passengers to be able to say to a TA to get this new price for them.

Sorry not on topic but hope that I can be forgiven!

Sue

Celebrity clearly spelled out what they would do with the Supplement charge world wide. Go to Celebrity Cruises website, under "Frequently asked questions". In the search box type "fuel" click on entire site.

It will bring up "What is your fuel policy" click on the highlighted words, then click on the blue words that say "click here".

It clearly states their policy including dates of what to expect but for the most part it should be taken off the price of the cruise unless you have already paid the final payment then it will be an onboard credit.

Good luck:)

Shirley

Archived