• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

General Dislikes about POA?

OSUALUMNI

Is there anyone out there who either didn't like their experience or parts of their experience on POA? If so, what was it?

My general dislikes about cruising are:

1. The cruise is not long enough

2. I have to get off the boat at the end

3. When I refuse, and there are 2000 new guests waiting to board, they have to call security to drag me off the ship

4. I come home 10 pounds heavier

5. My tan fades away faster than the linger credit card bills for all my execursions

6. No one turns down my bed at home nor cleans my room when I leave my room after I get home, something that I really got use to for a week.

7. I wake up every morning at home and the outside scenery is the same each day, I guess I got spoiled for a week at sea.

8. I got addicted to a piece of chocolate on my pillow each night for a week and get a minor case of the shakes when it is not there anymore.

I could go on, but there are some dislikes about cruising... mainly how life is not as good after you get off the boat... :D

I also really enjoyed the response.

Thanks... felt like it was a slightly off base question which deserves the same type of response.... no offense meant to the poster (who maybe works for another line? who knows)

Come on People. You have to admit that everything is not hunky-dory with POA. The ship itself is very nice. But the waitstaff in the Skyline dining room leave a lot to be desired. The menu is unimaginative, the staff/food delivery is slow. (I've only eaten in the Liberty once and that was the night in Maui when everyone was at the luau). If you want a decent glass of orange juice you must pay for it.

Please note I'm not bashing POA. I'm scheduled for our third trip on POA next February.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got home from a week on POA and had very few complaints. We had a really good time. Our room was lovely and our steward was a great guy.

It rained most of the week but you can't blame that on NCL! Like everybody says, it's all determined by your attitude.

Really, our only complaints were:

1) Room service left us a form on Day 1 asking what kind of fruit we wanted in our room, then never brought it, even when we ordered a second time. Not a major life crisis but annoying.

2) The muster drill on the first day was very confusing. At least my husband thought so. He went to our muster spot early to figure out where it was, and there were already people there with life jackets on. Maybe it was a language barrier for some of the folks. (Not for my husband, however!) But I have to agree that the instructions were confusing.

3) I wouldn't bother with the specialty restaurants for breakfast. We tried it one day and discovered they serve the same icky mass-produced scrambled eggs they have on the buffet. I didn't eat most of what they brought me, and I am NOT a picky eater. And at least on the buffet you can look at the food before you order it, so you know what you're getting into!

I agree service in the Liberty is better than in the Skyline, but we had no complaints about either. The wait staff was working their butts off in both restaurants, but it seemed even more so in Skyline. I suspect servers have more tables in Skyline than in Liberty. For both restaurants, I highly recommend going when they first open. The staff is fresh and less hurried, the wait is shorter, and service is quicker.

Average age on POA is probably at least 60, except maybe during spring break or school holidays. It's not a wild crowd!

Breakfast in the buffet was great - but don't order anything carved on the line for dinner!! We literally could not cut the "prime rib" "suckling pig" or anything else with our knife!! Good ribs the first night, and good ham. Great hamburgers - but I wasn't expecting hamburgers to be the best thing I could eat on a cruise! ;) Lots of choices for Asian food, but seldom any potatoes (other than fries) for my meat & potatoes man.

Loved most of the entertainment! And great steward!

Archived