• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Best Family Excursion?

norsie

What excursion is your favorite (and favorite tour guide) for a family with a 9 year old on Antigua? We have a 2 and 9 year old. If you would recommend something for a 9 year old but not 2 year old, we do have the ability to split up because there are others in our party. We'll be on the Serenade but are very open to an independent tour guide. Thanks for your suggestions!

We have used Eli Eco Tours - when we went they had a toddler and a baby. They have several to choose from. We chose a trip around the island snorkelling, swimming, and a visit to devils hole.

We will be back in March and we are just going to the beach - probably Dickinson Bay because it is the easiest to go to from the cruise ship.

Followed by lunch at a particularly nice hotel.

Regards

Suzanne

We've been Eli's Eco Tour 4 times (and his Xtreme) once. He also has a new sailboat excursion, which we're booked on for this coming January. We've been on the EcoTour with some kids in the 9-10 year old range, and they had a blast, along with the adults on the tour. I'd be willing to bet a kid would love the sailboat, too! Eli's website is www.adventureantigua.com.

We rode horses in Antigua last week. We took a taxi to Sandals Resort and they were right there. He only charged us $30 a person and our 6 year old got her own horse. The horses were very well behaved and very gentle. It is right down the road from Runaway where Carnival does their horseback from, but they charge $89 a person.

I would recommend The Eco Tour through Adventure Antigua as well, but you may want to consider not taking the 2 year old. The tour is pretty much the FULL day, and the 2 year old would spend quite a lot of time in the boat, as the last hour or so is spent out quite a ways from shore to allow for some good snorkeling. I am pretty sure that 2 year olds cannot snorkel. Also, the hike up to Hell's Gate would be virtually impossible for a 2 year old.

However, this tour is wonderful for those old enough to enjoy it. The hike is fun and the scenery beautiful. The guides are informative and the snorkeling is among the best I have ever done in the Caribbean. Lunch was also fantastic! Much better than I expected.

We rode horses in Antigua last week. We took a taxi to Sandals Resort and they were right there. He only charged us $30 a person and our 6 year old got her own horse. The horses were very well behaved and very gentle. It is right down the road from Runaway where Carnival does their horseback from, but they charge $89 a person.

So is the horseback riding part of the resort? Meaning do you have to pay a fee to access the resort and in turn have access to the horseback riding? Or can anyone just have access to the horseback riding of course paying the $30.

I would love to hear some of the details on this. Did you go directly to Sandals to find them or were you on Runaway Beach? Do you have to have a Sandals day pass to use them? My 13 year old really wants to ride horses in Antigua and I would prefer not to book the Carnival package if possible. Any details on your trip and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

We told our taxi driver what we wanted to do and he recommended this place. We did not have to pay a resort fee for Sandals. We didn't use any of their stuff. All beach in Antigua are public. We had planned on doing horseback riding in St. Lucia, but changed our minds. I was feeling really guilty about not doing it as our 6 year old had looked forward to it so much. I was so happy to find the $30 price. This is per hour, so if you want to go 2 hours you can. I will get pics tomorrow and put them on. if you want me to send you, just send me an email (schafermom5@yahoo.com). I'm happy to help. I wish I would have known about this before we went!

Archived