• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cagney's Steakhouse- What are your honest opinions?

Iluvmypuggle

I ate in Cagney's on the NCL Gem last year. Unfortunately, we were a littled disappointed. The appetizers, dessert, ambiance and service were excellent. The disappointment came from the steak itself as I didn't think it was up to par with a filet mignon at Outback. My boyfriend described his steak as "livery".

So I was talking about my upcoming trip to Bermuda on the Dawn and we were thinking about trying Cagney's again. I'm curious if we just had a not so great cut of meat that night, or if Cagney's is overrated. What was your experience there?

We have never been disappointed with any of the meals we've had in Cagney's. My DH loves his steaks rare as possible---they have always prepared them to his liking and I usally go for med. rare. The best meal we have ever had in Cagney's was this past Oct. on the Jewel---I had crab legs that where so huge they covered a platter and not overcooked. DH had a steak that looked like a roast--not sure what the cut was, but very good. We have not sailed the Gem, but Cagney's on the Jewel, Pearl and Star have all been excellent for us.

I am not really a beef type person, but when we eat at Cagney's I always get a filet of beef. Trust me when I say if there is the least bit "off" with it, I won't eat it (as I am not that into beef. 8-)). I told Doug just today that on the Dawn in Nov when we are onboard her I am going to actually get the crab legs in Cagneys as I have heard SO much good about them.

I think maybe you guys just hit them on an off night. I have never been disappointed with the food we got there.

I'll have to agree we have never had a bad meal at Cagney's. Infact its my DH's favorite place to eat. He loves the prime rib, which they wheel out and cut right infront of you, I usually have the ribeye.

Terry I'm with you think I'm going to have to try the crab legs on one of our upcoming trips

We've been to Cagney's once.

I liked the filet mignon, but it didn't knock my socks off. The cut of beef was good, but the seasoning wasn't as good as on other filet mignons I've had. I'll try the steak again to see if the preparation is the same or if it varies by ship and chef.

The rest of my meal was very good.

Hubby liked his dinner.

When we visited Cagney's on the Star last year we upset the staff by asking for our table to be changed twice. There was an unacceptable vibration that was making my teeth and the cutlery rattle! The first time they were fine, second time I could see they were not happy. It was really bad, it had to be or my husband would not have asked for us to be moved. I have known him 20 years and this is the first and only time I have ever seen him complain to staff about anything.

The food was fine, I asked for plain fries as I don't do cheese but got the special fries so didn't eat them. I didn't want to complain, it had been made clear to us that we were already marked as being a nuisance and anyway we are British so tend to grin and bear most things and not cause any kind of scene.. My steak was very nice. Tony enjoyed his prime rib but it was just brought out not carved for him like others have indicated. I would go again definately for the food and hope that next time I get better service as there was a definate vibe going on with the staff. Be aware that we are very low maintenance people and hate fawning, just like service to be given with a smile not grudgingly given.

This was my only bad experience with anything on the star and it did not affect the enjoyment of my cruise.

Jean

We have been to Cagneys twice - once on Pride of America, once on Jewel. Our first trip on POAm was fantastic, I told my husband it was the best meal I ever had!! Last year on the Jewel it was good, just not great. Maybe I was spoiled from the first time. We will certainly try Cagneys again, it is a great place for a nice, quiet dinner.

I ate in Cagney's on the NCL Gem last year. Unfortunately, we were a littled disappointed. The appetizers, dessert, ambiance and service were excellent. The disappointment came from the steak itself as I didn't think it was up to par with a filet mignon at Outback. My boyfriend described his steak as "livery".

So I was talking about my upcoming trip to Bermuda on the Dawn and we were thinking about trying Cagney's again. I'm curious if we just had a not so great cut of meat that night, or if Cagney's is overrated. What was your experience there?

We've done Cagney's twice,and both times we thought it was OUTSTANDING..So,can you get a table for 2 by a window overlooking the sea,without eating with 400 people and all the noise for $20 at the Outback? Try the NY Strip next time or the Rack Of Lamb..Don't miss Le Bistro,either..try the escargots,medallions of beef,and DON'T MISS THE FRUIT FONDUE for dessert (I suggest having a medic stand by...)-all for $15..you can't eat at Denny's for $15!!!! I think the Outback is overrated-best thing there is the Blummin' Onion and their 2-for-1 drinks..I find their steaks fair-if you want a great steak,you must spend some $$ and my favs are the Capital Grille,Ruth Chris,Morton's,and the Palm....just my O.....

Big Al

My daughter who is not a meat eater loves Cagney's filet mignon. I have noticed if you order medium, it can come out very rare. You could always ask for them to cook it slightly longer. We have. I love the shrimp cocktail and my DD loves the crab cake.

Service has never been a problem. We have always had friendly servers that have gone out of their way for us.

BTW.. I enjoy the Outback too!

Dawn

We ate at Cagney's on the Dawn in December '08. Shrimp cocktail was outstanding, killer fries, filet.....? Not so much. Had a 10 oz. medium rare filet that was picture perfect but that's about it. Had a tough time cutting it even with a serated knife. Ate about half and then gave up. They did offer to cook me another one but I declined and just chalked it up to a bad experience. Wife wasn't to nuts about her prime rib either. Maybe it was just an off day for the chef. You'll have that ya know.

I was disappointed. But then again who orders salmon in a steak house.

I LOVE Cagney's it is always on our agenda when we cruise. I always have lobster and DH a fillet always done perfect. I also love and don't count the calories on the fries, they are made with TRUFFLE OIL of my Goodness they are wonderful. In Oct we took a one night and took my mom who is 71 and almost blind, the assistant matride (sp?) came over took the lobster out of the shell for her, cut it up and even fed her, the first piece, she was trilled. We made sure to tip him for making her day!!!

Can't wait to go again on the GEM!!!

mew1

I loved Cagneys on the Jade. To me, the very best parts are all of the appetizers, salads, side dishes etc. The filet was good, but I hardly noticed because I was already so full from the shrimp coctail, salad, bread, creamed spinach, special fries, etc. I can get good beef at home, but rarely find anywhere that serves such a fabulous shrimp coctail, and offer to package up another to take back to your cabin if you wish. Oh, by the way, the bananas foster was excellent also. We didn't walk out of there, we waddled out!

We didn't walk out of there, we waddled out!

lol. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for everyones responses. It seems like most people had a great experience, so maybe we will try Cagney's again.

Big Al- You're right- you can't go to Outback and sit at a window overlooking the ocean for $20. And I realize Outback is not in the same category with Ruth Chris, Palm, etc. but the reason I mentioned it was because I didnt think the steak I had that night was even as good as one at Outback.

Reading everyone's reviews, we probably went on an "off" night because most of you seem to be more than satisfied. And I do think the ambiance alone might be worth the $20 upcharge.

My question is what cost extra in addition to the cover charge? Are the crab legs extra, prime rib, lobster? Anyone have a menu to post?

That's exactly my question...I'm on the Gem this Saturday and was wondering too if there are extra charges for the entrees. Thanks!

I agree with everything the OP said, everything was great except the steak which was average. I considered the steak itself equal to steakhouse chains such as Texas Roadhouse, Longhorn, etc. It just wasn't "high end" like a Ruths Chris or Flemings.

I think it's worth it if you are in the mood for a good steak on the cruise. Definitely better than the steak cuts in the main dining room. However, I'd suggest cruisers check out the beef on all the specialty restaurant menus. DH had an awesome steak dish in SoHo on the Star.

Is the $20 per person or per couple? We are on the Dawn in a week or so and I told DH I wanted to try Cagney's

thanks

Leigh-Anne

The $20 surcharge is per person. I remember on the Gem last year, that there was an additional $10 fee on top of the $20 if you wanted to order lobster (I think it was lobster). Make sure to read the Freestyle Dailies because sometimes there are 2 for 1 specials in the specialty restaurants. It may or may not include Cagney's; and the specials vary week to week.

I've been to Cagney's on the Pearl. I would rate it as "good" but definitely NOT "outstanding." The best part of my meal was the uniquely seasoned clam chowder.

I'll probably do Cagney's again sometime, but will hold out for a 2-fer-1 special.

Is the $20 per person or per couple? We are on the Dawn in a week or so and I told DH I wanted to try Cagney's

thanks

Leigh-Anne

My question is what cost extra in addition to the cover charge? Are the crab legs extra, prime rib, lobster? Anyone have a menu to post?

That's exactly my question...I'm on the Gem this Saturday and was wondering too if there are extra charges for the entrees. Thanks!

Currently the cost is $20.00 PP, not per couple. There are things you can order that have a charge on top of the $20.00 PP and they are things like crab legs, lobster and my memory is there was some HUGE steak you could also get for the additional charge. The additional charge items area and additional $15.00 PP (for those who order whatever addition charge item). So if you were to get the crab legs, your charge would be $35.00.

Have really liked Cagneys other than on the Jade - but then instead of the filet I ordered the TBone (my personal fav) - turned out to not be such a great choice - just goes to show you that all steak is not created equal. Best steak had on the Jade was at the Teppenyaki - rib eye - mouth watering and cooked to perfection.

I just thought of this. If I have one complaint of Cagney's it is the Cagney's on the Pearl. WHO did they buy the chairs in that restaurant for?? LOL.. I can't imagine how tall you have to be to be able to sit in those chairs and have you back against the back of the chair. I am all for comfort and when I sit at a table and eat I want my back to rest against the back of the chair. Maybe that is something that is done in upscale restaurants or something, but I always had them bring me a pillow to put between me and the back of the chair.

In 2007 on the Spirit,I thought it was overrated..It was good, but not THAT good.

On my last cruise (SKY) It was 100x better for some reason.

:confused::confused:

I'm taking my 3rd NCL cruise in less than 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it is on the Star when I get back.

Archived