• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

first time cruising on IOS accessibility...

Hi,

Me and my family 6 of us altogether 2 adults and 4 children are going on a cruise on the 27th of may on the Independence of the seas just after my 16th birthday. This cruise is being funded my the make a waish foundation who grant wishes for terminally ill children.

I am in a wheelchair and on oxygen all the time. I can walk around but just not long distances before becoming very very breathless. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with excursions and a wheelchair my wheelchair is powered anad non-collapsible. I have a few excursions in mind as I can walk small distanses and up some stairs it just depends if the transport is accesible i it involves alot of walking I have emailed roal caribbean about this and am awaiting a reply. any advice or experiences are appreciated.

xxx

p.s I am SOOOO excited

I can't help with the accessible excursions, but RCI will do all it can to make you and your family comfortable for your cruise. I'm sure you'll be in an accessible cabin, and the ship is pretty wheel-chair friendly.

Good luck with your excursions....there is a section on these boards for disabled travel--you may get some good excursion ideas there! Good luck.

Welcome to CC ayesha90 - we met a couple last year on the IOS and the lady was in a wheelchair and i believe they were well looked after.

Try contacting RC UK and explain your situation - have a great trip anymore questions just asked.

jj......

Hi ayesha90

We could be the couple who coxwain mentions in his previous post as we cruised with him and his wife on IoS last year and my wife is a full time wheelchair user.

The ship is brilliant and you won't have a problem,access is fine with alternate routes everywhere.Staff go out of their way to help and 95% of fellow cruisers are so nice.

Excursions are trickier and need carefull planning,get advice from the excursions or explorations desk but be carefull because they don't always have the latest information.Buses or Shuttles are the main consideration and if they can accomodate you and your chair-does it collapse,can you climb a few steps,do you need a lift for you both,toilet stops that sort of thing.

The main thing is just go and relax and do what you can with no pre requisites. Have fun

Regards Doc 07 :D

thanks for the replies my wheelchair is powered and doent callapse fully only the back rest does, it can be lifted it a large trunk thou or spare space on a bus or something. unfortuinatly all the diabled cabins had been booked up im in anormal one which is fine as i only use my wheelchair for long ditance walking e.g when out or goign around the huge cruise ship. and climbing a few steps ontp a cpah would be fine aswell.

ayesha90

Sounds like you'll be fine-like your attitude.You need to discuss things on board with the explorations people but one thing you might think of is asking RCCL to lend you a manual chair for on-shore use ( Which they would do ) as this will be much easier, it will be just a case of if your oxygen supply can be stowed somewhere while using it.

John - Margaret sends her love to you and Julie

Regards Doc07

Archived