• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

car rental near the port of Miami

BarJen

While searching for a rental car post cruise, I am coming up with multiple locations for rental agents. Can someone tell me please which locations, or better yet which location codes I should be using closest to the cruise port?

Thank you,

Barry

Ok, got a good rate from Budget....my only concern is did I make the reservation with the right location. I am picking up from the Collins Ave location, is this the correct one for the shuttle service?

There were a few in the area to choose from.

We arranged car hire in Miami last month. None of the rental companies has a drop off on the pier. The nearest depots are at downtown locations. You then catch their courtesy shuttle bus to or from the pier. We saw shuttles for Thrifty, Dollar, Budget and Hertz whilst we were waiting to be picked up.

We used Hertz as they have a depot close to the airport and a depot downtown, about 5 minutes drive from the pier just off Biscayne Drive. Once debarked, we were "shuttled" to the downtown depot, picked up the car and spent the day doing some shopping at Dolphin Mall before heading back to the airport for our evening flight. We dropped the car at the Hertz airport depot and got a 5 minute shuttle ride to the terminal...very easy process. There was no extra charge for picking the car up downtown and then returning it to the airport. I would assume you can do the same thing in the opposite direction..... collect at airport and drop at downtown.... then shuttle to the pier.

Has anyone used Thrifty? The web site says they have pick-up at the pier, but do they have drop off?

Thrifty does pick up/drop off at pier. Their office is a short drive away. They share the shuttle with Dollar as they are in the same building off site.

Avis had a downtown location at 99 SE 2nd Street. Its location code M6I. They don't have a shuttle but taxi is about $10. We pick up at FLL and drop there. Use rentalcarmomma dot com and you'll get a good rate with their AWD #d454000. Open to everyone. They don't charge a drop fee.

Ok, got a good rate from Budget....my only concern is did I make the reservation with the right location. I am picking up from the Collins Ave location, is this the correct one for the shuttle service?

There were a few in the area to choose from.

Answering my own question, lol......for future reference in case anyone else runs into the same situation.....it's the Budget location on 8th street you want location code is M3M.

also came across this discount code which saved me some $...it's X797726

;)

Barry

That is a great site - with a lot of good deals. Unfortunately, the sunday hours for that avis location are very short - have to be there by noon. So, Budget with the code listed from barry, is the cheapest with a shuttle from the miami airport to the port. This is also without a drop fee.

We are doing this on Sunday, we will let you know how it works out.

Tina

UPDATE - BUDGET DOES NOT HAVE A SHUTTLE FROM MIA TO THE PORT.

Just finished checking with them directly at the airport. There is no shuttle. Now I am back at square one, Avis is sold out, thrifty and dollar have a shuttle but also a big drop fee...I am going to pay the premium and go with Hertz with a drop off right near the port at their downtown location.

What a mess!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished checking with them directly at the airport. There is no shuttle. Now I am back at square one, Avis is sold out, thrifty and dollar have a shuttle but also a big drop fee...I am going to pay the premium and go with Hertz with a drop off right near the port at their downtown location.

What a mess!

I was going to say that! I dropped off a car at Budget at the Airport a few years ago and was told that they stopped a long time ago, so we had to grab a cab.

Thrifty does and so does Alamo. They shuttle to the port and back to the airport. Last summer, we went with Thrifty and they were all out of the fullsize that we reserved. The attendent pointed part of the lot that had minivans/SUV's and even a Volvo and said "Take your pick!".

I like to stick with Alamo or Thrifty, but I noticed that Thrifty is charging a $50 drop off fee for one way, so will probably go with Budget.

That is strange:confused:, did this last year and Sister family just did this on her cruise, beginning of this month.

Guess I will call them directly an get my answer.

Btw, this was at their MIA airport location, not the 8th street location.

Correct, the 8th street Budget location picks from the cruise port only, no shuttle from the rental office to the cruise port.

We will have to take a taxi after we drop off.

Does anyone know what the cab fair would be? I cant imagine that it would be much more $25.

Archived