• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Quite possibly the most interesting question ever posted

People_Mover

We had a seeing eye dog on our cruise to Alaska. There was a large litter tray set up on one of the outside decks, tucked away in the corner. That's where she went to the bathroom. It was cleaned by crew members regularly and never bothered anyone.

Every cruise we have been on has had at least 1 service dog. Generally Golden Retrievers so it makes me sad that our dogs are not on board with us. (One sniff of the buffet or a look at the pool and everyone would know ours were not service dogs :eek:)

What we have seen is a wood box covered with grass and it's usually been tucked away in a corner on the Prom deck. I've never seen it "dirty" so I'm sure the crew cleans it up as soon as the dog if done.

Every cruise we have been on has had at least 1 service dog. Generally Golden Retrievers so it makes me sad that our dogs are not on board with us. (One sniff of the buffet or a look at the pool and everyone would know ours were not service dogs :eek:)

When we were last on the QE2 a woman had a Whippet who was a diabetic service dog. Since we have 4 Italian Greyhounds it made me very homesick for my dog too.

His owner had doggy diapers for him but I think he also had a place he could go to relieve himself. The QE2 had kennels and the QM2 still does, but only for crossings.

The Poop Deck... Of course!

*Edit* Doh someone beat me to it.... Note to self... Read all posts first!

Actually I read in the RCI forum that they set up a large litter pan on one of the decks for the doggie doo!

If the guest is in a veranda cabin, they sometimes set up a box with sod for the animal. We've cruised a number of times with service animals on board. What wonderful contribution they make for their partners.

Well, instead of a little litter box, perhaps they can be trained to use the "reserved" lounge chairs. That would stop the problem pretty quickly!

You don't even need a service dog for that....you can buy very real looking "stuff".:D:p

We have seen several Service dogs on HAL -- and there has always been a box with a grassy area in it set up in a corner on the Promenade Deck.

On the Westerdam last month the box of grass (pieces of sod) was located on the promenade deck but in the forward section. Hanging from a railing was a box of air-sick bags - I'm assuming those were for the owners to use to take away the poop. I saw that grass & the bags almost all week before it finally sunk in as to what they were for - when I finally saw the couple with the dog headed there.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

Archived