• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Celebrity cruisers looking at HAL.....

krca11

Hi-

We've been on Celebrity for the past 9 cruises but the latest one fell really short in dining & service - we're looking at perhaps an Alaska cruisetour this fall (Ryndam) or the circle Hawaii (Zaandam). We've done both destinations and prefer smaller ships (Celebrity's Mercury is our favorite size) to the megaships and expect good dining and a high level of service. Do you think HAL would be a good fit? The itineraries are great and we like the size of the ships on HAL.

We're in our early 60's - active but not looking for a lot of nightlife, looking for decent entertainment and usually cruise in a suite. We like the extra space and during sea days spend a lot of time on our balcony, reading, listening to music.

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks.

Because of the economy, all the cruise lines are having to slash their prices on the majority of their cabins, inside/outsides and lower grade balcony cabins. No business can continue to cut prices without cutting the product and stay in business.

If you have the resources, this might be the time to consider Crystal. If like most, you cannot afford or chose not to spend more, Celebrity and HAL are comparable. The Deluxe Suites on HAL are very special and I am most certain they will meet with your approval.

Entertainment on HAL is hit or miss. There will be something to enjoy and something that will leave you wanting, not too dissimilar to Celebrity.

We prefer the crew and service on HAL to that of Celebrity because it feels more genuine, in the execution. Mileage varies. Each cruiseline has its strengths and weaknesses and fans.

Sometimes change is as good as a rest. It helps you to articulate what's really important. Only way to know, is to give HAL a try.

I know Celebrity CC board has a lot of loyal members as this HAL CC board does. I personally enjoy trying different cruise lines out and see first hand the differences (haven’t been on one cruise that was perfect and likely never will:rolleyes:…lol).

But saying all that, I have seen on both boards that the majority that have tried both lines say they are comparable. I would agree with this now that I have tried both. The only difference I have felt is the overall atmosphere of HAL. We enjoy a much more casual, friendly, and non-pretentious surroundings which I personally have found on HAL.

So, I would suggest you try HAL out yourself and see what you think.

Enjoy your cruise!

John

I have been on HAL and Celerity. They are similar cruise lines. I, also, like to try different cruise line which include RCI, Princess, NCL, Disney, and Carnival. Everyone has their own personal taste. so only you can decide, but I encourage you to try HAL.

We've decided to give HAL a try again after 25 years. I loved the old Rotterdam on my first Alaska cruise in 1984 but for some reason never went back with them The last 10 cruises have been on Celebrity who used to have a product that was perfect for us but we've just seen too much erosion of that product recently. We were extremely disappointed in the food on our Alaska cruise last summer so we figured we'd go back to try HAL. If nothing else, the excitement of 'new and different' should make the trip great plus the itinerary is fantastic on the Zaandam out of Seattle. I'd be interested in any thoughts of folks who have sailed both lines recently.

We've decided to give HAL a try again after 25 years. I loved the old Rotterdam on my first Alaska cruise in 1984 but for some reason never went back with them The last 10 cruises have been on Celebrity who used to have a product that was perfect for us but we've just seen too much erosion of that product recently. We were extremely disappointed in the food on our Alaska cruise last summer so we figured we'd go back to try HAL. If nothing else, the excitement of 'new and different' should make the trip great plus the itinerary is fantastic on the Zaandam out of Seattle. I'd be interested in any thoughts of folks who have sailed both lines recently.

We have sailed both recently and can say that we have not noticed a deterioration in HAL. Other people have though and as has been noted, in this new economic adventure we are embarking on HAL will have to trim a little here and there.

As far as X is concerned, we have found it also to be generally excellent with the very surprising exception of some misses in the main dining room of Century. By and large we would sail X in a minute if the itinerary was right but that is the principle reason we sail HAL - X itineraries are a bit of a yawn.

We agree that Century class is a perfect size. We also like Statendam class and Rotterdam class on HAL.

We are booked on HAL next year, and this year on Azamara. The trend toward larger ships on HAL (and X for that matter) just doesn't work for us, so we are sailing the Quest and Amsterdam respectively.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise on HAL. They do a fine job.

Smooth sailing to you...

Archived