• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Dissapointing cruise

dunaldo

We were on the Feb. 12-22 Carribean cruise and had many issues. We sailed this ship last year. The staff this year overall was indifferent and in most cases rude (reception, accounting etc). We talked another couple into going on the cruise and had confirmation for the four of us together at the first seating. Onboard we were both (couples) scheduled for 2nd seating and at different tables. Talked to the head Maiter'D and he said he would see "if he could do something for the next night". There were plenty of tables available he could have seated us at the first seating but refused to do so. The next night we were changed to the first seating but the other couple weren't. The following night they finally changed the other couple to the 1st seating but at a different table. He flatly refused to do anything further and was extremely rude and arrogant. The rest of the cruise he never spoke to us nor even looked at us as he walked past our table w/his nose in the air. We later learned we were definitely not the only ones where seating was incorrect. If it weren't for our wait staff the entire cruise would have been miserable. We found everything to be worse than last years cruise. Unfriendly, unconcerned staff that ignored customers. We came to the conclusion (don't know if it is true) that because of the overwhelming problems w/ the Orchestra that MSC pulled staff from Lirica and replaced them w/ the inexperienced ones from the Orchestra which were probably all new hires. I asked accounting and reception about reducing the gratuity charged to my account and giving it directly to the wait staff and was told I wasn't permitted to do that. Last year I did this and reception gave me envelopes (and my cabin peoples names) to leave in the cabin for them. Seems there were only a few of the entire staff on board that were there last year. Only 2 assistant Maiter'D and one entertainment person. Probably won't sail w/MSC again knowing what we would be faced with even if they gave me a cruise (won't happen). Spoke w/ many people onboard that had many cruises and went on this because of the price and itenary but said they wouldn't come back to MSC. At some point the cheaper price is not worth the indifference and aggravation you are faced with. BTW don't ever book a cabin beside a supply (storage) closet, ie: 8133. Because the floors are not carpeted and the staff wears dress shoes, you are rudely awakened at 6 AM to the sounds of clopping feet and slaming doors.

Momma mia thats Italian. Probably wont cruise again on MSC??? After that experience. Send 2600 people a dollar and you may have more fun than you had. MSC not the cruise line for well to do.

Wow, that is a valid complaint, we were on the orchestra in jan w/ 10 people & they had us half early & half late, went directly to maite`d on arrival & they changed it with a smile immediately. Sorry for your experience, but your right this problem should have been avoided as they were aware of our little group.

Being rescheduled to a late sitting in the dining room seems to be an ongoing complaint. It happened to us (because there was a large groupp of 1200 Irish who ALL wanted to eat early), but we spoke with the maitre d' who organised an early sitting for us immediately. No fuss, no 'arrogant sneers'. The chap just obliged, and was very friendly.

This seems to be a particular problem in the caribbean especially on those cruises with very high percentages of North American passengers. The problem is that so many want early seating and the reality is that there is simply not enough room for the majority to eat early, some have to be at the later seating. if the cruise has more Europeans, especially Southern Europeans, this will be less of an issue as they all tend to want the second seating.

I know it is tough if you get something you don't like. I would not want to eat on first seating ever as this is far too early for me but fortunately up until now, I've always got second seating.

Sorry you were not happy with the cruise. We were supposed to have first seating, and upon arrival at the ship, we were changed to second seating. We arrived at the ship at 12:00 and were checked in within 15 minutes. We were told that the Maitre d' would be available at 12:30 to change seatings. He was there, we changed our seating right away, with a smile and a joke. I told him I wanted a beautiful Italian waiter because they know how to make a lady feel special! I'm not on the make.......I'm 66 and married! But we both laughed about it and had a ball on the cruise. The way you will be treated, will depend on how you approach these kids who a long way from home. A smile and hello go a long way:)

mdelacono

Archived