• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Tips and free things (Secret things?) on Serenade of the Seas??

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread has generated no activity, I will start with a few things I found out.

Take the outside elevators to the 13th deck. COWS! (Crazy cows)

Earplugs and motion sickness pills are free at the ship's doctor.

The Vortex is dead quiet during the day. Comfy seats. Great view of the main pool.

I'd sure like to know any tips for cool things, free things, "secret things", the best places, the best things to do on board, and what NOT to do on board.

Thanks, veterans!!

If we told you then they wouldn't be "secret" anymore would it? I'm not letting the cat out of the bag. Get on board and roam the ship. Don't you want to be surprised?

if you want free coffee and cookies, you have to go the the windjammer....latte-tudes doesn't have free anything...that's what annoyed me! and the WJ hardly ever had coconut cookies...SOooooo our headwaiter, Eardeley (sp) hooked us up with them every night.

ear plugs are handy if you are under the pool deck or above a noisy bar or under a big huge suite......or if your cabin mate snores!:)

Since this thread has generated no activity, I will start with a few things I found out.

Take the outside elevators to the 13th deck. COWS! (Crazy cows)

Earplugs and motion sickness pills are free at the ship's doctor.

The Vortex is dead quiet during the day. Comfy seats. Great view of the main pool.

DSCF4972.jpg

I agree. Seaview cafe is great. There are steps outside the WJ that take you up there.

Also, on this ship WJ has outside seating

Glass elevators on outside of ship - don't miss it

Forgot about the cows:D can't wait to see them again.

Solarium - gorgeous. Take pictures on the solarium bridge. It also has "rain" shower heads. DH loved cooling off in there on the sea day that was blistering hot.

Cafe/grill in the solarium is also good.

Gorgeous ship, walk around and explore

We are on her for the 2nd time in 3 weeks! Can't wait, so excited!!

The shows are too loud. Hence the earplugs.

There ARE, in fact, doors that lead to cool places but we are NOT supposed to open them!

The onion rings are GOOD but the Reubens and fries are GREAT in the Seaview Cafe. You DO need to ask for (or carry from the Windjammer) a pack of French Dressing. Oddly, they are not on the sandwich!

It is illegal to take food ashore unless it is pre-packaged.

It is illegal to wear camouflage (of ANY color - including pink) ashore in most Caribbean Islands.

It is illegal to use FRS radios ashore in most Caribbean Islands.

Your cell phones will PROBABLY work on the islands but tell EVERYBODY they won't!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ziggypup - "Knowledge is Power". I prefer power to being a lost adventurer.

Besides, we could load this thread down with tips and still never be able to reveal the grandeur of Serenade of the Seas!

Not sure if the same will happen on your cruise- but- we were on the Serenade last June in Alaska. The first night my husband and I were wandering the ship- it was after dinner- probably 9:30 or so. We wandered into the Congo Bar. It was totally empty. There are some great tall couches right next to the window. Wonderful place to sit and enjoy the evening- since sunset wasn't till around 10- the view was beautiful. It is nice, on a ship of this size, to be able to find places where you don't realize how many other people are on the ship! We were there a few nights later- and the place was hopping! So- check it out on your first night!

-JC in CA

To get to the Helli-pad (sp) take level 5 all the way to the front. You will run into a set of stairs, go up them and you are there.

Also we had been looking for a place to star gaze at night. We we found it on the last night. Its near the shuffle board court, and the Clubhouse. Near that there will be a set of stairs, where there is no lights on at night. Its the best spot to see the stars!

Try as I might, I can't find the Shuffleboard court and the Clubhouse ojn the deck plans. Which deck are they on?

Also, thanks for the info about the Congo lounge. I will definitely try that on my Alaska cruise in May.

To get to the Helli-pad (sp) take level 5 all the way to the front. You will run into a set of stairs, go up them and you are there.

Whenever we had the chance to go to the helipad, it was blocked off. I did see it open once, but we were going to dinner and by the time we finished, it was blocked off again.

I think I've mentioned this elsewhere before, but if you want a fancy cold coffee drinks like those that they sell... you might want to try this...

Take a plastic cup at the windjammer. Fill it about 1/3rd to ½ full with coffee. Then carefully pour soft serve into the glass to fill it. Stir with a stir stick. Add extra sweetener, if you are sugar or sugar substitute addicted.

You can adjust the amount of coffee to your liking. If you want it thicker, add a cube of ice to cool the coffee before you add the ice cream.

You can even do different flavours by using different flavours of ice cream. Enjoy.

Deck 12 for shuffleboard - Port (It MAY be on deck 11??) PORT

Deck 6 for Congo Bar - Aft

FYI:

What Is Starboard?

By Joan Reinbold, eHow Editor

Starboard is the official name for the right-hand side of a craft. It is part of the terminology of mariners and pilots. Starboard started out as a nautical term. However, with the development of aircraft, people started to use starboard as part of the terminology. This is because some early aircraft were called "airships."

Identifying starboard can be tricky if the person explaining isn't careful in presenting perspective. One way to determine the starboard side is to stand at the back of a ship, called the stern or aft. Once there, face the front section of the ship, called the bow. Starboard is on the right.

History

Language experts have determined that the origin of the word "starboard" came from Old English. Two words were combined: "steor" and "bord," which mean "steer" and "side," respectively. These words originally came from the Old Norse "styri" and "borth." People used to build ships with the steering side on the right hand of the boat. The side of a ship used to be called a board. Therefore "steorbord" meant "steering side."

Features

Determining where the right and left side of a ship is located can be difficult at night or in a storm. Standardized lighting systems were developed for ships and aircraft. The starboard side light is green, the port is red and the aft has a white light. The captain's flag is usually flown on the starboard side. The starboard side of a ship's quarterdeck is usually designated for the captain. It is there that official ceremonies are traditionally held.

Function

The term "starboard" serves to orient the crew to locations throughout the ship. In a more critical situation, if the crew were to use the terms "right" and "left," confusion could result. Everyone's right and left depends on which way they are facing.

Considerations

The opposite of starboard is port, which used to be called larboard before the middle of the 1840s. Larboard stands for the loading side of the boat. It was common for cargo to be put onto the boat from the left side. The term is derives from "ladeboard," meaning the "loading side." This, however, caused confusion with starboard since the two words were so similar. So in 1846 the U.S. Navy Department issued a general order that "port" would be used instead of larboard. Starboard remained the same. The British Admiralty ordered the name change to port for clarity in the middle of the nineteenth century.

Whenever we had the chance to go to the helipad, it was blocked off. I did see it open once, but we were going to dinner and by the time we finished, it was blocked off again.

They block it off in rough seas, as well as at night because they cannot turn the light on. I guess i would rather the bridge be able to see then to go up there.

FIRST - check your seating for the main dining room. TRY to change it if unhappy.

SECOND - Make reservations for Portofinos or Chops if you haven't done so.

THIRD. If the bed feels too hard, ask the cabin steward to bring a mattress pad (egg crate). (Extra blanket if you get cold easily).

Want your fridge cleared out? Put the drinks under your bed or in the cabinet above the fridge. It is easier than having the steward carry it out.

ALWAYS - Do NOT call it a BOAT. It is a ship.

Among sailing vessels, the distinction between ships and boats is that a ship is a square-rigged craft with at least three masts, and a boat isn't. With regard to motorized craft, a ship (Serenade of the Seas) is a large vessel intended for oceangoing or at least deep-water transport, and a boat is anything else.

But that's too much to remember. Try this: ships have to be big enough to carry boats and boats have to be small enough to be carried by ships.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

just booked a GS on the Serenade of the Seas (i have a hard time typing SOS) -

got burned on a BOS balcony (it was partially obstructed but it never said it was - on a 12 night Med!)

Looking for advice on a Grand Suite suggestion --

Thanks for all the great tips so far !!!

Lisa

Archived