• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Steps to Metro in Rome

pennies2

Just a quick question.. we are planning to take the train into Rome and using the Metro to the major sights. My husband is only 60, but has emphysema and I am not sure how well he will do if there are lots of steps down to the Metro.. I am assuming there will be escalators like in London ect. (He is not on oxygen or anything) Does anyone know??

Just a quick question.. we are planning to take the train into Rome and using the Metro to the major sights. My husband is only 60, but has emphysema and I am not sure how well he will do if there are lots of steps down to the Metro.. I am assuming there will be escalators like in London ect. (He is not on oxygen or anything) Does anyone know??

Unlike London,there metro is not so deep, yes there lifts & escalators.

If you do go by train from Civitavecchia.buy a special day return,this will give you free travel on the metro.

Another suggestion,get off the train @ Vatican, ST Piero, for the Vatican,Sisteen Chapel, work your way from there to Travi Fountain- Spanish steps,metro to Coloseum or main train terminal.

Not all metro stops have escalators; often there are one or more flights of stairs to negotiate. Most are supposed to have elevator access. I haven't ever looked for them but I've read reports on tripadvisor that they are often hard to find and/or not working.

If you are only in Rome for the day, I might suggest just taking a taxi from point to point. Most times a taxi ride within the historic center of the city is around 7-10 euro. It may be worth it to have an easier day and see more.

Or go to Termini station and get a ticket to the hop on hop off bus. If you only have a day, you may not have time to do the Sistine Chapel as the lines can be long (shorter after 2 pm but it closes early 4 or 4:30). I seem to think it is a fairly long walk from St Peter's to the entrance of the SC. At least on the tour bus you'll see all the sites and can leave the bus at sites where the attractions are clustered. The bus stops are listed on their website along with a map.

Or go to Termini station and get a ticket to the hop on hop off bus. If you only have a day, you may not have time to do the Sistine Chapel as the lines can be long (shorter after 2 pm but it closes early 4 or 4:30). I seem to think it is a fairly long walk from St Peter's to the entrance of the SC. At least on the tour bus you'll see all the sites and can leave the bus at sites where the attractions are clustered. The bus stops are listed on their website along with a map.

Driving by a site is not seeing a site, especially if you only have a day.

I concur with cruisemom42, a taxi can really help you out in Rome.

Thanks for your help! Might look into the hop on hop off bus. There are 8 of us, so not sure about taxi's. Normally we just drive in Rome. Taking a couple teenage grandkids, so the bus might be a great way for them to see more! I am thinking about pre-purchasing the tickets for the Vatican. We have all been there before except the kids, so we can limit our time there....Don't want to wait in line an hour just to get the tickets.

Anyway thanks!:)

Archived