• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

ATM's now on board Pacific Dawn

I have just read in the Sunday Telegraph that they have installed 2 ATM's on board the Pacific Dawn and are going to do the same on the Pacific Sun as well.:)

This will be better than carrying a large sum of cash at the start of the cruise for shore trips and paying on board account if you don't want to use your credit card for the cruise. I'm just wondering what the charges will be like for using these ATM's? Does anyone know yet?:confused:

There was a recent report that the ATMs on the Pacific Dawn were out of order for a period of time. Anyone counting on using them would have been left in an awkward spot if they didn't have a back-up source of funds. I don't know how much money the machine is stocked with, or how often it is filled up. Just consider, if (say) 50 passengers each go and withdraw money for all their shore tours and on-board expenses, it could easily come to $100,000. It is not like an ATM at a bank that would be re-filled probably every day. My suggestion - if you are counting on using the ATM, get the money at the start of the cruise and keep it in your safe.

There would be the normal ATM fees, and there could be fees from your own bank for using another company's ATM. Some of the major banks will be charging this, but ANZ announced yesterday that they will not.:)

Evon.

There was a recent report that the ATMs on the Pacific Dawn were out of order for a period of time. Anyone counting on using them would have been left in an awkward spot if they didn't have a back-up source of funds. I don't know how much money the machine is stocked with, or how often it is filled up. Just consider, if (say) 50 passengers each go and withdraw money for all their shore tours and on-board expenses, it could easily come to $100,000. It is not like an ATM at a bank that would be re-filled probably every day. My suggestion - if you are counting on using the ATM, get the money at the start of the cruise and keep it in your safe.

There would be the normal ATM fees, and there could be fees from your own bank for using another company's ATM. Some of the major banks will be charging this, but ANZ announced yesterday that they will not.:)

Evon.

Evon

I had the same thoughts regarding refilling of the ATMs I would imagine it could only be done when in port and possibly only in Sydney. Unless the banks have left the moneywith PO to actually refill the machine or they have representatives on board to refill. None of which seems likely.

Megan

I have just read in the Sunday Telegraph that they have installed 2 ATM's on board the Pacific Dawn and are going to do the same on the Pacific Sun as well.:)

This will be better than carrying a large sum of cash at the start of the cruise for shore trips and paying on board account if you don't want to use your credit card for the cruise. I'm just wondering what the charges will be like for using these ATM's? Does anyone know yet?:confused:

i posted a thread regarding this about 4 weeks ago. Here's the link for some answers. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=922122

Liz

i have never use an ATN and wouldnt now how to and im 45 yrs old , and im not an old f-rt i just dont like paying the banks for some we pay for when they use our money any to make money.

i have never use an ATN and wouldnt now how to and im 45 yrs old , and im not an old f-rt i just dont like paying the banks for some we pay for when they use our money any to make money.

There is a simple way not to pay fees for using an ATM - use machines belonging to your own bank. There are no fees.:):)

Evon.

you still have bank fee,s of some sort i only have a company account a charge card to it it like a visa card it can be used anywhere but an atm.but only costs $5.00 per month for the hole account,but the down side is no interested paid to the account, so when there is to much there i move it some where else that dos pay

I have read on a thread somewhere that the staff from the pursers desk top up the ATM's on the ships, BUT I still would not want to rely on just these to pay for my cruise card account.

im with you

I agree that one should not rely on them for your sole source of obtaining funds.

ATM s are handy though for withdrawing just enough foreign currency for the country you are visiting, maybe for just the one day.

A handy tip....

When you withdraw ask for an amount that will give you small notes.

eg.. if you wanted say $100 ask for $90 and then wont get 1 $100 note that may prove hard to change or to purchase a small item.

I agree that one should not rely on them for your sole source of obtaining funds.

ATM s are handy though for withdrawing just enough foreign currency for the country you are visiting, maybe for just the one day.

A handy tip....

When you withdraw ask for an amount that will give you small notes.

eg.. if you wanted say $100 ask for $90 and then wont get 1 $100 note that may prove hard to change or to purchase a small item.

I don't think the ATM's on the ship would be stocked with foreign currency, and that you would have to go to the Purser's Office counter for that.

As for using an ATM ashore for foreign currency, I think it is simpler and probably cheaper to get the currency from your own bank before you go. Don't spend the time queueing to use an ATM when you only have one day in port. If you only want a small amount and it is available on the ship, get it there. The problem is that the ships operating out of Australia seem to only have Pacific francs and not US dollars, NZ dollars, pa'anga or tala. :):)

Cheers,

Evon

Archived