• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Oh Oh Passport Question

VOLEYMOM

My daughter and I will be on the March 22 sailing of the Westerdam. Recently married she forgot about changing her passport to her married name. I booked the cruise in her married name and probably thinking about it now should of just used her maiden name. Has anyone had this happen and were they able to get on the ship without any problems. She does have her drivers license in her married name. I guess worst case scenario I could do a name change and just pay the $50.00 that Holland America wants for a name change but it sure seems like a waste of money. I could be using that for drinks on the cruise!!

My daughter and I will be on the March 22 sailing of the Westerdam. Recently married she forgot about changing her passport to her married name. I booked the cruise in her married name and probably thinking about it now should of just used her maiden name. Has anyone had this happen and were they able to get on the ship without any problems. She does have her drivers license in her married name. I guess worst case scenario I could do a name change and just pay the $50.00 that Holland America wants for a name change but it sure seems like a waste of money. I could be using that for drinks on the cruise!!

They are quite strict now about having the name on the passport and the name on the booking match. I would expect that you will either have to change the passport (expensive to do on such short notice) or change the name on the booking. It's probably easiest and least expensive to do the name change. However, you may want to call HAL and confirm this.

Good luck!

They are quite strict now about having the name on the passport and the name on the booking match. I would expect that you will either have to change the passport (expensive to do on such short notice) or change the name on the booking. It's probably easiest and least expensive to do the name change. However, you may want to call HAL and confirm this.

Good luck!

Actually, she doesn't need to do either because a passport isn't even required for that cruise since it is a closed loop cruise. The individual can just bring her drivers license, marriage license, and a certified copy of her birth certificate. (Note: I am not recommending this course of action since I would never leave the country without a passport. I am merely pointing out that it can be done to avoid the fee.)

Actually, she doesn't need to do either because a passport isn't even required for that cruise since it is a closed loop cruise.
HAL is very adamant about an exact match on the passport and booking names. About a year before you joined Cruise Critic there was an instance where a couple sailing to the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego was denied boarding because of a spelling error. HAL will let you get away with a missing Jr or Sr, but that's about it.

There is no NO FEE to have your Daughters Passport amended in her married name..

Suggest she contact the U.S. Passport office & find out the turn around time for the amendment..

You should have enough time to get it ammended..But if there is not enough time, perhaps HAL could hyphenate her maiden & married name together if she carries both her marriage certificate & her passport..

We used to do that all the time in the Airline Business..

Suggest you contact your TA or ask to speak to a Supervisor in Res. before paying HAL for a $50.00 name change..

Betty

HAL is very adamant about an exact match on the passport and booking names. About a year before you joined Cruise Critic there was an instance where a couple sailing to the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego was denied boarding because of a spelling error. HAL will let you get away with a missing Jr or Sr, but that's about it.

You missed the point. She doesn't even need to bring her passport. The name on the booking matches her DL. SHe just needs to bring her DL, her BC, and her marriage license.

I would suggest just doing the right thing and pay the expedite passport charge with the correct name change. May cost the most but there will be no gamble she gets on and off the ship. Don’t know the exact charge but have to think a few hundred $ is worth it’s weight in gold on this vacation.

Good luck,

John

I may be wrong about the fee though..If her passport is more than a year old it lookls like she has to apply for a new one..

MadMan you might be correct but what happens if something such as or accident or illness & she has to fly home, then she must have a passport..

I would never travel without my passport. Too many things can go wrong! I think that calling HAL & asking to speak to a Supervisor is the OP's best bet..We should not advise her about HAL policies..

JMO..:)Betty

I may be wrong about the fee though..If her passport is more than a year old it lookls like she has to apply for a new one..

MadMan you might be correct but what happens if something such as or accident or illness & she has to fly home, then she must have a passport..

I would never travel without my passport. Too many things can go wrong! I think that calling HAL & asking to speak to a Supervisor is the OP's best bet..We should not advise her about HAL policies..

JMO..:)Betty

I wasn't advising her about HAL policies, I was informing her about U.S. Government policy. A passport is not required for the trip.

I also specifically noted that I would never leave the country without a passport and that I was not advising that her daughter travel without a passport, but merely pointing out that she could. There is no reason to hide that information from her.

Voleymom,

Your daughter can use her Driver's license as her legal ID document (which matches her booking name) and her passport as her citizenship document. Although she might have to explain why she did not change her passport when she changed her DL. She would be wise to bring along her marriage license as a bridge document between the two. If the HAL check-in clerk has any problems with all those, immediately ask to see the supervisor and then ask the supervisor to request the CBP officer. As noted above, she does not even need a passport legally to cruise, and having all the above will be enough to cruise from a US port.

What do newlyweds do on their honeymoon about the name change?

Don't book in your married name. You can't change your documentation until the marriage is legal and you usually go on your honeymoon fairly soon after the wedding. I sailed on my honeymoon cruise as Ms. K instead of Mrs. G.

As far as the passport is concerned, I had to change my name in my passport for business. It was easy and the expedited fee including FedEx was less than $100 and I had a less than 5 day turn around time.

You missed the point. She doesn't even need to bring her passport. The name on the booking matches her DL. SHe just needs to bring her DL, her BC, and her marriage license.
Yes, I shouldn't have quoted you when I was commenting on the general question of name discrepancies. Sorry.

There is no NO FEE to have your Daughters Passport amended in her married name..

Suggest she contact the U.S. Passport office & find out the turn around time for the amendment..

This is old and outdated advice, unless the passport is less than a year old. I seriously doubt that if the daughter recently was married, had time to change her SSN & DMV licenses, but didn't think about her passport, then the passport was not that recently issued.

Here is the name change info straight from the state department

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

This is old and outdated advice, unless the passport is less than a year old. I seriously doubt that if the daughter recently was married, had time to change her SSN & DMV licenses, but didn't think about her passport, then the passport was not that recently issued.

Here is the name change info straight from the state department

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

Did you fail to see my subsequent post where I corrected myself & acknowledged my error..? ;)

Why would you doubt that she forgot her passport...Many young people don't travel frequently & it would be quite easy for them to forget their passport changes & still do DMV's & SS changes...

Also, since we don't know how old her passport is, my suggestion still stands..

The Mother should contact HAL & see if they would be willing to hyphenate her maiden & married name..Then the daughter can take her marriage cert. her Drivers license & her passport, which is needed only if she has to fly home in an emergency...

Betty

Archived