• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Disappointed in Cunard's service

southender

My husband and I travelled on the trans Atlantic voyage out of NYC on QM2 on Oct. 16, 2008. The cruise was great as the QE2 on her last trans Atlantic voyage sailed along side us all the way to Southhampton. Our trouble began when we arrived in Southhampton, we had purchased through Cunard, the add on package to Scotland and a couple days in London. There was no Cunard rep to meet us as we dismebarked, no one knew anything about the trip and no paper work was there. We had been informed in our cabin a few days previous, that all paper work would be waiting for us on disembarkation. No such luck. Well to make a long story short, we finally did get our documents at the airport in London before flying to Edinburg. However when we arrived later in the week at our London hotel, the Millennium, they had no record of our reservation. We tried to get in touch with representative's name in our paper work but no answer. We finally did get a room but were told breakfast was not included, even though we had prepaid for it and it stated such in our documentation, Millennium said take it up with Cunard. When we arrived home I contaced Cunard Guest Relations and asked for a refund for the breakfasts that we paid for but did not get. They have refused to do this. The Guest relations department leaves a lot to be desired as does the whole Cunard operation. They need to realize that the customer comes first, just a little research on their end would have told them that we did not get breakfasts that we had paid for. I doubt very much if we will ever sail on a Cunard ship again. :(:(:(:(:(:mad:

Hi

Sorry for your experiences but I hope you will not allow these snafus to keep you from sailing on such a marvelous ship in the future. Your tale reminds me once again to not let the cruise line make such arrangments. In almost every case you are really far better off making your own off ship plans because it is usually far cheaper and you are in better control. Try it that way in the future and you will see that I am right. I hope to see you on the Queen Mary again. Please.

Deck Chair.

It is just breakfest, it is too bad that Cunard did not get the work. You could of gone to the pursers desk and get the documents and confermations from them. :confused:

Don't let this experience ruin your entire trip!:confused:

Once again a complaint against Cunard from someone posting here for the very first time...

Yes , but a very valid complaint dont you think, we all have to start on at some point.

This has happened to me, I am a platium VIP member of hilton hotels, we booked the waldorf (never again) NYC, after we were kept waiting an hour and got a good upgrade from them, we informed breakfast was not included, lucky for us I had my print out etc from the booking and of corse they had to honour the breakfasts.

if southender had breakfast agreed bu cunard then the hotel should have given it, or cunard refunded the price, I would contact them again, I think you need to write to Pete Moss at terminus house and point this out to him.

Cunard customer service is a little odd at the best of times, Pete Moss should be able to sort this out

rob

Your experience does not surprise me. The Cunard "Customer Care" in the USA is a nightmare.

They mix up Cunard and Princess, they have no idea what is a ship, they reply beside the point with a template letter, they mix mail and if ever you manage to talk with them, they seem to know nothing about cruises.

A complete display of incompetence.

My husband and I travelled on the trans Atlantic voyage out of NYC on QM2 on Oct. 16, 2008. The cruise was great as the QE2 on her last trans Atlantic voyage sailed along side us all the way to Southhampton. Our trouble began when we arrived in Southhampton, we had purchased through Cunard, the add on package to Scotland and a couple days in London. There was no Cunard rep to meet us as we dismebarked, no one knew anything about the trip and no paper work was there. We had been informed in our cabin a few days previous, that all paper work would be waiting for us on disembarkation. No such luck. Well to make a long story short, we finally did get our documents at the airport in London before flying to Edinburg. However when we arrived later in the week at our London hotel, the Millennium, they had no record of our reservation. We tried to get in touch with representative's name in our paper work but no answer. We finally did get a room but were told breakfast was not included, even though we had prepaid for it and it stated such in our documentation, Millennium said take it up with Cunard. When we arrived home I contaced Cunard Guest Relations and asked for a refund for the breakfasts that we paid for but did not get. They have refused to do this. The Guest relations department leaves a lot to be desired as does the whole Cunard operation. They need to realize that the customer comes first, just a little research on their end would have told them that we did not get breakfasts that we had paid for. I doubt very much if we will ever sail on a Cunard ship again. :(:(:(:(:(:mad:

That certainly sounds very unsatisfactory and I hope you can get it all sorted out soon. BUT, please know that Cunard shoreside and Cunard shipboard are two very, very different things. I encourage you not to let this experience put you off travelling on Cunard ships again. Just do as was suggested and make your own forward travel arrangements, then all should be well. It's very difficult for ship's personnel to pick up where shoreside leave off, and as the ship's staff are not responsible for making the arrangements, please don't blame them and allow this to stop you sailing Cunard again. You will miss such great experiences if you cut off your nose to spite your face.

I am very sorry there was a mix up on your shore part of your vacation.

Personally, I would have made all my arrangements myself as I like to feel in charge.

I'm glad that you did enjoy your voyage on the Queen. :D

smiley_cheerleader_pink.gif.42018aeb8be39c9a1d91901594565f8f.gif

Once again a complaint against Cunard from someone posting here for the very first time...

What is this supposed to mean? Are you suggesting that just because it is from a first time poster that it is not a valid comment? Southender's statement appears reasonable and, given, the responses of others and my own personal experience with a pre cruise Cunard package in London last summer, quite likely to have happened. Don't shoot the messenger...

What is this supposed to mean? Are you suggesting that just because it is from a first time poster that it is not a valid comment? Southender's statement appears reasonable and, given, the responses of others and my own personal experience with a pre cruise Cunard package in London last summer, quite likely to have happened. Don't shoot the messenger...

I fully agree here, who does peppern think he is, an new forum monitor maybe, no southender found this website and made the first post about cunard service, which we all know both isdes is hopless unless you get the right people.

Southender, welcome to CC and take no notice of people who try to pick on you. most of us are here to help

rob

Hi southender,

Sorry to hear about the bad part of your trip.

The poor service started in 2004 when Carnival Corp put Princesss in charge of Cunard. Before that, my wife and I didn't have problems with Cunard. After that, we have had a lot of bad times. Everything from ruining our birthdays and anniversaries on ship to removing bookings on ship that we had made and had paperwork for. I have also tried to call Cunard/Princess about other issues and they don't want to write an email about the issue to their managers, they tell you to find out who to write and do it yourself. That is why things get poor and why I also have to do everything on my own now.

Princess has ruined what used to be a great service by Cunard. I hope you do try Cunard again, just do your own tasks.

Ed

Just a very small, silly example is that I am now Platinum, I have asked 3 time for my new card and twice they say they have sent, to my correct address, I am now on the 3rd attempt to get one, on a better note they did send me the pin, when you ask them , they simply "Dont know".

as for southender, they are fully justified in getting a refund on there breakfast, something small, but at the time it would have been hard for them, trying to sort out a small problem.

as for being there first complaint on there 1st posting on this board, I see nothing wrong it that.

I hope we hear more from them in the future

That certainly sounds very unsatisfactory and I hope you can get it all sorted out soon. BUT, please know that Cunard shoreside and Cunard shipboard are two very, very different things. I encourage you not to let this experience put you off travelling on Cunard ships again. Just do as was suggested and make your own forward travel arrangements, then all should be well. It's very difficult for ship's personnel to pick up where shoreside leave off, and as the ship's staff are not responsible for making the arrangements, please don't blame them and allow this to stop you sailing Cunard again. You will miss such great experiences if you cut off your nose to spite your face.

I fully agree with this, I do hope this wont put you off, Cunard and QM2 and QV are wonderful ships, read the posts on here and you will see that

Just a very small, silly example is that I am now Platinum, I have asked 3 time for my new card and twice they say they have sent, to my correct address, I am now on the 3rd attempt to get one, on a better note they did send me the pin, when you ask them , they simply "Dont know".

I only ever have to ask once, if at all, for anything. Wonder why that is :eek:

There again i am a Diamond :D :p :rolleyes:

Gav :cool:

"valid"... ? Not convinced...

quote]

Of course it's valid. The OP did not get what he had paid for. That it was only of relativley small value is beside the point, and the real loss he had was having this dispute in the first place. But then he is only a first time poster, so who cares.

David.

I only ever have to ask once, if at all, for anything. Wonder why that is :eek:

There again i am a Diamond :D :p :rolleyes:

Gav :cool:

Of course YOU only have to ask once darling, would you like to share Captain McNaught's email address with us common folk?

I know that Cunard rarely actually read complaints (or listen at the Pursers desk) but those of us who post here should , READ and CONSIDER before we "shoot the messenger"

Bad thing can and do happen and we should all be thankful if they do not happen to us.

Perhaps "Southender " used Cunard package because they were not familiar with the UK.

I have had similar experiences, last year flew to JFK, no rep, no transport (for which I had paid)took a cab to Hilton Towers - Cunard package , no reservation in my name. Finally got that sorted out, rep did not come to hotel that night , next day rep came to oversee transport to ship, my "reservation" on that was also missing, she told me I would have to get a cab. I asked how many passengers were on the bus, and found there were quite a few empty seats, so informed her (and showed my documentation) that I would occupy one of the empty seats. She argued but realised I was NOT going to go away and get a cab when I had already paid Cunard.

She shrugged and went to walk away when several other passengers came up complaining that they had NOT been met, no transport, and no reservations at hotel - to learn they also had no seats on the bus to the port.

I am not a new poster, yes I did demand refund of my payment from airport to hotel,and finally got it.

Recently on QV my on board account did not show my on board credit ,($126) after 4 days asked politely at Pursers desk for it to be applied, three days later found only half of it was on the account , back again, shrugs and suggestions that my agent had misled me, or I should contact Cunard on my return home. I insisted on getting it on the voyage. finally after more days passed, the full amount was credited.- no apology of course

Such events should NOT happen, and if they do, Cunard should at least apoligise for the trouble that has been caused. and refund money if necessary.

Southender, I realise you are unhappy, I would be in your place, but do not judge all Cunard passengers by the few who treated you with unpleasantness on this page.

Lynn

Well done Lynn, good for you for doing what you did.

southender as she says dont jundge all by a few, and take no notice when someone says a complaint on your 1st post, I say well done for joining us, come and join in and sail cunard again

At least it wasn't posted by alfnbetty. They were so looking forward to their trip. I'd hate for them to be disappointed.

When everything was transferred from Princess in Santa Clarita to P&O in Southampton last year it's possible the documentation got lost. A friend of mine in the States ended up with about 8 A4 pieces of paper as tickets for her cruise with just over a week to go while I (on the same one trip but in the UK) had the new P&O-type around the same time. Also as I was going with a UK friend too, they sent the tickets to us separately instead of both coming to me since I made the booking. Yet P&O never did that at all.

I do agree about standards. Sadly I only began my Cunard cruising under Princess but have noticed a marked drop and other differences since P&O took over. I felt more like I was on one of their cruises last year than Cunard. Now if they brought back the band on the dockside I'll be very happy. :D

I have received great information from this and other on-line forums. However, unfortunately, there are relatively rare instances where stories are posted out of spite or competitive attempts that are absolutely unfounded. Every online reader has to decide for themselves what to believe and what not to believe. One valid indicator that I and others use in determining believability is the number of posts an author has made. It is not an absolute, but can be a bit of a red flag. Of course, another red flag is the apologist who believes that a certain company can do no wrong and every criticism is petty, a fabrication or an aberration. I would tend to discount that author's viewpoints somewhat as well.

Archived