• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Question about using a "cash account" for sail & sign card & past guest party quesito

ashxoxo89

My brother and his fiance chose to do the cash account for their S&S card instead of doing their debit or credit card (which I think is pointless)

I just want to have some things clarified because they are confused (& so am I :) :

1) There is a recommended deposit of $200 (5 day cruise), some people have been telling me its not optional.. but I'm pretty sure you can choose how much

2) When and where do they give the cash to Carnival? (before we leave, at the pursers, or where?)

3) I heard something about Carnival putting a freeze on your card if you use one or something, not really clear..

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!!

Oh yeah, while I'm posting..

I'm going on the Holiday, 5 day cruise, will there be a past guest party?

Also, I heard you are allowed to bring one non-past guest person if youd like, is this true??

THANKS!!!

My brother and his fiance chose to do the cash account for their S&S card instead of doing their debit or credit card (which I think is pointless)

I just want to have some things clarified because they are confused (& so am I :) :

1) There is a recommended deposit of $200 (5 day cruise), some people have been telling me its not optional.. but I'm pretty sure you can choose how much

2) When and where do they give the cash to Carnival? (before we leave, at the pursers, or where?)

3) I heard something about Carnival putting a freeze on your card if you use one or something, not really clear..

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!!

Oh yeah, while I'm posting..

I'm going on the Holiday, 5 day cruise, will there be a past guest party?

Also, I heard you are allowed to bring one non-past guest person if youd like, is this true??

THANKS!!!

Can't help you with the location of the past guest party on the Holiday but I can tell you that it's invitation only. Draw your own conclusions...

Regarding the Sail & Sign account, you can go to the Purser's Desk when you board and put any amount you want on your account. The $200 is for credit or debit card accounts.

If you elect to use a card to pay for your S&S they will put a $200 hold on your card to cover at least that portion of what you might spend.

Anything else???

:)

Check this link from the Carnival website about credit cards and holds.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Sail_And_Sign_On_Board_Account.aspx

Now here is the interesting thing about putting down cash. We were just on a 3 night cruise and met a woman who's charge privileges were suspended. She had but down $30 in cash. No one had told her about auto tips and such. When she ordered a few drinks she had used up her $30 and was still going to be obligated to pay the auto tips. She ended up having the auto tips removed so she could pay off the drinks. I hope she ended up tipping her room steward and waiters etc. but I'm not sure.

So, if your brother insists on the cash, I hope he realizes that the tips should come first and then all the extras. Tell him what the extras are.

You can bring your cash to the pursers desk. And you can start off with however much you want.

What my cousin did, she started off with $100 and then at the end of each day before she called it a night she went and paid off how much she spent for the day.

If you go down later at night, nobody is there and you don't have to wait in line :)

We frequently use the cash system (very easy), as stated above after you board go to the Purser's desk and have whatever amount you like applied to your account. You can check your balance as little or as much as you like (in case you want to add more money). I have found that the easiest way to close the account is go down late on the last night (when you are through buying with the card) and close the account. If you have any money left they will hand you the cash then. You really don't need the card the day of debarkation. If you choose not to close the account the night before, they will put a check under your door on the last day along with your statement of charges. Put down any amount you like. I personally would not use my debit card, however many people have and have not had a problem. On our first cruise we used the debit card and had a rather large hold still on the card for about 3 days after we returned home (the charges had cleared the account, but there was a hold above that).:)

I always use cash and always put up 300.00 for a 7-day. If I don't spend it all, I get a check at the end of the week. If it looks like I'm running short, I pony up some more money.

I could put down less money but don't want to spend my time running back and forth putting more money down......

First question...... I always use cash for my sail and sign. I used the debit card once and like someone else has alread said they will post the money you spend plus the original hold for a few days after you return. Go to the purser office late the first night (lines are too long before that) and put cash down for the card. You will be fine to charge before that the first night. Remember, your tips are $10 per day so on a 7 day cruise that would be $70 and that comes directly out of your cash first. So remember to always put plenty of money down and you will get it back at the end of the cruise if you don't spend it.

Second question....... There is a past guest party for 5 or 7 day cruises. You will get an invitation if they have your past guest #. I believe that you can also bring a guest to the party. Hope this all helps.

Archived