• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Transportation to NY port

Just wondering if anyone else is providing transportation for their guest to the port of call. The cruise I am looking at leaves out of NY. My aunt suggested stongly I provide transportation to the port however when i called to check prices for a charter bus they said it would cost about $1000 each way. I just don't have an extra $2000 to provide this for my guest. Is that wrong of me not to do so??? Does anyone have suggestions as how to go about this?

Just wondering if anyone else is providing transportation for their guest to the port of call. The cruise I am looking at leaves out of NY. My aunt suggested stongly I provide transportation to the port however when i called to check prices for a charter bus they said it would cost about $1000 each way. I just don't have an extra $2000 to provide this for my guest. Is that wrong of me not to do so??? Does anyone have suggestions as how to go about this?

I'm actually spending $2000 for a round trip charter bus for my non sailing guests. The bus is a 56 passenger and is picking up my fiance's family in MD, then my family in South Jersery before heading to NYC. The bus will wait and then return them to NJ and MD.

How many guests do you have? Are they mostly sailing or not? Perhaps they could pay to ride? Is the train or bus an option?

We are not paying for transportation to the pier, however we are paying for the cruise itself for most of our guests, although I don't think this is expected at all. I would just be very upfront with your guests far in advance of the cost of everything. We have some guets flying to the cruiseport while others are driving. So those who are flying have to pay their own airfare, yet those who are driving have to pay the outrageous parking fees:eek: But I don;t think you are obligated to pay for their transportation, but understand that the cost may be way too high for some guests to attend.

We have 2 coach limo buses. 1 is leaving from my FIL and the other from my parents. They are a $900 each, so we're splitting that between everyone, so it's costing people $90ish for transportation both ways. Way better then having to pay for parking, gas and tolls.

It's there choice to attend the wedding along with all the costs. They should know they have to pay to get to and from the port.

It's not rude at all not to provide it.

We're coordinating a shuttle bus from Maryland to NY picking up our guests along the way in MD, PA, & NJ. Everyone is paying their own way, about $75 pp round trip. Some people are choosing to drive themselves but it seems like most are joining in for the ride.

JerseyGirl79 - Which company are you using?

I am still going to have to think about what I will do. I got a quote from land jet for $879 one way and then another quote from gateway for $900, again only one way. I am thinking about sending out information regarding taking the bus or train into the city. We live about and hour and 40 minutes. I also want to suggest to my guest to car pool and split the cost of parking which would be about $52 per person. We have right now 25 sailing guest who said they would come and about 30 non-sailing or who havn't decided yet. Those who are not sailing will just have to pay the parking rate for the day or should I try to cover that for them?

Lindsey

I'm so confused and undecided right now. At least I have plenty of time to figure things out. Thanks for your feedback.

I really wouldn't sorry about paying for parking, especially for non-sailing guests. Look at it this way: If you were having a traditional wedding, and your reception was somewhere in a city which required people to park in a parking garage, you wouldn't pay for your guests to park, would you? Yeah it stinks that parking is expensive but I am sure your guests will realize that you have a wedding to pay for, and won't think twice about having to pay to park their car. That's just my thoughts anyway:)

We're coordinating a shuttle bus from Maryland to NY picking up our guests along the way in MD, PA, & NJ. Everyone is paying their own way, about $75 pp round trip. Some people are choosing to drive themselves but it seems like most are joining in for the ride.

JerseyGirl79 - Which company are you using?

I'm using US Coachways. They quoted me $1895 complete for the 56 passenger RT.

I have a second limo bus that will pick up the 10 cruisers. On the return trip we're getting dropped off in NJ and driving our minivan home with the FIL.

I am still going to have to think about what I will do. I got a quote from land jet for $879 one way and then another quote from gateway for $900, again only one way. I am thinking about sending out information regarding taking the bus or train into the city. We live about and hour and 40 minutes. I also want to suggest to my guest to car pool and split the cost of parking which would be about $52 per person. We have right now 25 sailing guest who said they would come and about 30 non-sailing or who havn't decided yet. Those who are not sailing will just have to pay the parking rate for the day or should I try to cover that for them?

Lindsey

I'm so confused and undecided right now. At least I have plenty of time to figure things out. Thanks for your feedback.

25 people sailing is a lot of luggage on public transportation. I took Greyhound to the Port Authority in 2006, but I was 26 and traveling with my BFF. This time around I'm traveling with guests of varying ages and physical abilities. Plus there's the issue of dress attire. Also, we had to wait about 20 minutes for a taxi to the pier.

With that many sailing guests they shouldn't have a problem chipping in for the bus. The non sailers can drive and I wouldn't pay for their parking.

Another reason I paid for the bus is because I have a couple of relatives with disabilities that I didn't want to leave out. My one uncle would probably try to drive himself and he shouldn't be on the road!

I'm using US Coachways. They quoted me $1895 complete for the 56 passenger RT.

I have a second limo bus that will pick up the 10 cruisers. On the return trip we're getting dropped off in NJ and driving our minivan home with the FIL.

That's significantly cheaper than the quote I got. I will give them a call. $34 pp round trip is a no-brainer! Thanks for your help!

That's significantly cheaper than the quote I got. I will give them a call. $34 pp round trip is a no-brainer! Thanks for your help!

You have a lot of stops along the way. I wonder if that makes a difference. My fiance and I live in DE with his family in Bel Air, MD and mine in Cherry Hill, NJ. So we just have the two stops. If you still get a high quote with US Coachways maybe you could condense some of the stops.

***Update*** Just got off the phone with them. They quoted me $1943 1 way from MD. I'm in Montgomery County which is an hour plus south from Bel Air. We're also stopping in Cherry Hill and Philly (right across the bridge). She said it's based on the mileage not on the number of stops. Still a significant difference.

***Update*** Just got off the phone with them. They quoted me $1943 1 way from MD. I'm in Montgomery County which is an hour plus south from Bel Air. We're also stopping in Cherry Hill and Philly (right across the bridge). She said it's based on the mileage not on the number of stops. Still a significant difference.

Glad you found a deal. That's a long haul from Montgomery County. My MD in-laws will have to board the bus at 5:30am to be in NJ by 7:30. We're leaving NJ at 8:00 to be in NYC by 10:30. I'm going to provide a continental breakfast when we leave NJ for the ride to NYC.

Glad you found a deal. That's a long haul from Montgomery County. My MD in-laws will have to board the bus at 5:30am to be in NJ by 7:30. We're leaving NJ at 8:00 to be in NYC by 10:30. I'm going to provide a continental breakfast when we leave NJ for the ride to NYC.

LOVE the idea of the continental breakfast!!! : )

LOVE the idea of the continental breakfast!!! : )

Yeah...I thought that would be good since it's going to be such a long day. Plus I'm not paying the extra $10 pp for the non sailing guest to eat at the Lido Deck.

I'm going to do OJ, apple juice, coffee, bagels, muffins, crossants, danish, breakfast bars, fresh fruit, etc.

Archived