• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Price difference on same Med cruise

ludlowcruiser

Hi Folks,

My DW and I are booked on the Ruby's Grand Mediterranean 12 day cruise, starting May 4 in Barcelona and ending in venice. This cruise repeats itself in reverse on May 16, starting in Venice with the exact itinerary. I recently checked the prices for these two cruises on the Princess Website, and found the May 16 cruise to be about 25% cheaper than the May 4 cruise! As an example: inside cabin on May 4 is $2,090, but only $1,399 on May 16. Why such a large difference? If I had known the May 16 cruise was going to be so much cheaper, I would have booked it instead.

Hi Folks,

My DW and I are booked on the Ruby's Grand Mediterranean 12 day cruise, starting May 4 in Barcelona and ending in venice. This cruise repeats itself in reverse on May 16, starting in Venice with the exact itinerary. I recently checked the prices for these two cruises on the Princess Website, and found the May 16 cruise to be about 25% cheaper than the May 4 cruise! As an example: inside cabin on May 4 is $2,090, but only $1,399 on May 16. Why such a large difference? If I had known the May 16 cruise was going to be so much cheaper, I would have booked it instead.

Its all supply and demand.

You are looking very close to sailing and are likely seeing deals for the cruises that are more lightly booked. Remember a filled cabin at almost any price is better then an empty cabin. I doubt if you had looked at these two sailing 6-9 months ago you'd have seen the difference. It's always painful to look at, so I never look back once I've booked.

I'm not familar with European holidays, but maybe it straddles some vacation break? I do know that 2nd week of June thru Labor day many fares go up because of supply / demand. Whats the difference between June 2nd versus say June 15th, the summer vacation for the Americans.

Cruise fares are a lot like airline fares, you can't always predict if they will go up or down, you simply got to buy when you can afford it and then get ready to go on vacation :D

Hopefully you didn't pay the 2090, I find that expensive regardless. Last summer even summer inside was cheaper, May should be lower prices for this early in the season??

If you haven't made your final payment, you can get your deposit back and apply it to any other cruise, including the cheaper Grand cruise. You also get credit for any price decreases that occur after you book but before you make your final payment. So don't make your final payment until the last possible moment (usually 60 days out). The prices you are seeing now will fall in the next month or so. I'll bet an inside cabin on either of these cruises will be below $1,000 if you wait.

If you haven't made your final payment, you can get your deposit back and apply it to any other cruise, including the cheaper Grand cruise. You also get credit for any price decreases that occur after you book but before you make your final payment. So don't make your final payment until the last possible moment (usually 60 days out). The prices you are seeing now will fall in the next month or so. I'll bet an inside cabin on either of these cruises will be below $1,000 if you wait.

There is wisdom in waiting to the last minute tp make the final payment to capture any price adjustments with a rebook to a lower fare or an upgraded cabin.

To wait this late for a big travel, just be careful as the cruise price may fall but you could end up paying a health sum for the last minute airfare or its change if you are flying across the atlantic.

Last minute cruise deals aren't all they appear if you have to fly in and for trans-atlantic. Many who do these might desire potentally a day or two for time change adjustments and additional time to explore the emarkation/disembarkation ports. Between last minute airfare and schedule challenges sometimes these savings are what they apper.

4th May is the early May bank holiday in UK and probably the rest of europe, so that's probably why it's so expensive. We never go on holiday over a bank holiday period because of the increase in cost.
This is a good reason for the higher price. Remember, many passengers on Med Princess cruises are non-American; I've been on some cruises where Americans constituted only 10% of the passengers. As said above, it comes down to supply and demand.

There is wisdom in waiting to the last minute tp make the final payment to capture any price adjustments with a rebook to a lower fare or an upgraded cabin.

To wait this late for a big travel, just be careful as the cruise price may fall but you could end up paying a health sum for the last minute airfare or its change if you are flying across the atlantic.

Last minute cruise deals aren't all they appear if you have to fly in and for trans-atlantic. Many who do these might desire potentally a day or two for time change adjustments and additional time to explore the emarkation/disembarkation ports. Between last minute airfare and schedule challenges sometimes these savings are what they apper.

True. We use airline miles, so usually don't have a problem. Deferring the booking till the last minute only works if you schedule is flexible. But if it DOES work for you, it is a great advantage.

I am looking at a TA for 2011, Ft lauderdale to Barcelona, 17 days, stopping in Madeira, Seville, Gibralta, Sardinia, Rome, Florance, Monte Carlo end of April does anyone know if that is a good time to see these places. I don't see a reverse, except with differant itnerary in Sept or Oct, from Rome or Copenhagen. These latter dates, the prices are much higher. Thank you for any tips/information.

Hi Folks,

We were on this cruise on the Emerald last year on the same week that you have booked. The crowds were huge at every port and shore excursion. We had a great time, but never expected the crowds as we had no knowledge about the bank holiday. If you can change your date, you will not only get a lower price but also no crowds.

I am looking at a TA for 2011, Ft lauderdale to Barcelona, 17 days, stopping in Madeira, Seville, Gibralta, Sardinia, Rome, Florance, Monte Carlo end of April does anyone know if that is a good time to see these places. I don't see a reverse, except with differant itnerary in Sept or Oct, from Rome or Copenhagen. These latter dates, the prices are much higher. Thank you for any tips/information.

Although the TA portion may be a bit dicey in April weatherwise, it is certainly a lovely time to see Europe before the heat sets in. The big cities you mention get unbearably hot later in summer and some can be quite wet in October/November. There are usually only TAs west to east in April and east to west in October/November. Prices will be higher because you will get much better weather on the seadays during the east to west TAs.

Archived