• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Serenade 11/21/2009 Gets Chartered

I just got the call, I have to change to another sailing or ship. This is due to someone buying out the whole ship. Anyone else get the call? Also what was offered? I was told $200 Shipboard credit if I booked back on the Serenade or Adventure in Nov or Dec.......................Time to look at another sailing for Nov...............

Closest that ever happened to me was a cruise I had booked on Carival. The ship we had booked was offered to New Orleans Katrina victims as temporary housing. We were told we had to selecte a different cruise. None were available at the same price, so we had to down-grade to inside cabins to make it affordable. They did give us onboard credit for each cabin - maybe it was $100/cabin? I don't recall now.

Fortunately I had not booked my air travel yet, as the new cruise left from an entirely different port. I appreciated the OBC, but wish they'd offered to swap one 5-day cruise for the other - EVEN.

Oh yea, I got the call. But, I was scheduled on the Nov. 28 & Dec 5 b2b. Boy, what a mess. We can not go on the Dec. 12. We will probably cancel the Dec. 5 cruise also. Too bad as we had a beautiful hump cabin both weeks that we booked months ago....grrrrr.

As you have read, the sailing on the Nov. 21 and Nov 28, 2009 Serenade cruises have been canceled out.

I was supposed to sail on Nov. 28 and Dec. 5, 2009 on the Serenade.

There are other cruises being offered to us, along with on board credit, to change to them.

I am going to sail the Adventure instead. Having sailed her before, her itinerary now is almost the same as the Serenades.

I believe there are actually 7 different cruises, on several different ships, being canceled at this time. :confused:

:confused: I find if a bit amusing that this ship was chartered after a stimulus bill was past. I wounder what company it was that booked the whole ship. AIG comes to mind. Is it possible??? If anyone knows who it was that booted me from this cruise, I would be interested to know.

So far, I have heard nothing from Royal C. about what they are going to do for me. My wife really wanted to visit Tortola, B.V.I. So I'm curious about what they are going to do to accommodate me? I hope I can transfer to a Celebrity cruise. I think I should be given something... after all I had 2 suites booked.

Royal C. contacted my agent finally. Things went from bad to worse. This snobish company (Royal C.) only offered me $200 onboard credit if I sailed on another date of thier choosing. This is no good... I picked this date because I can't have my children miss school to go on vacation. It looks to me like Royal Caribbean doesn't care about the customers that come back year after year. They also seem to have the "Greed Feaver" that has effected use all and why the US is in the current financial position its in. So the liitle guy gets pushed around again. Congradulations Royal Caribbean! You've shown me your true colors.:(

I went over to the Princess boards and RCCL is offering the same thing that Princess offered for their ship that is being chartered at the same time for the same event.

Yes! Inquiring minds wish to know. :) Any idea what the multi line "event" is? 2 week charters on both Princess and RCCL from San Juan? Is it a world cup soccer event? :) Thanks.

Maybe its General Motors. They had a big group on our January cruise sailing all-inclusive. All their bar tabs had 0.00 on them, charged to General Motors. So many things are just not right.

I went over to the Princess boards and RCCL is offering the same thing that Princess offered for their ship that is being chartered at the same time for the same event.

From what I've read over there, passengers who have been "bumped" from overbooked sailings have been offered both a full refund, as well as an alternative sailing for free (save for taxes and fees). That, and an additional credit for airline change fees if you've booked air independently. I don't know what they do where full charters are concerned. I was bumped once by Holland America, and our compensation was similar (75% refund, upgrade from a balcony to a suite on a sister ship sailing the identical itinerary).

Maybe its General Motors. They had a big group on our January cruise sailing all-inclusive. All their bar tabs had 0.00 on them, charged to General Motors. So many things are just not right.

Not so sure they're going to be around come November. Canada should buy them and sell it off piecemeal, or something.

hey wrona...if you mean that government stuff, that's in april-may....or did i miss something......

gee could that be a reason that they're going to be basically broke on 3/16??? heard on the news that they need billions more by then....

The 5 week summit is in April - the CB is being used as a hotel for the summit because there aren't enough hotel rooms available. But the CB is also being chartered for 11/22/09 and 11/29/09 - the same weeks as the Serenade. I went and looked at threads about those cancellations to find out how much Princess is compensating passengers for the exact same weeks. And on the thread about the 5 week summit they mention that another shorter summit is happening in Trinidad and Tobago in November - the same weeks as the CB and Serenade cancellations.

Yikes! We debate booking the Serenade for either Nov 21st or Nov 28th but at the last minute my husband decided on the Adventure as we were just on the Serenade in 2007 and he liked the itinerary better. Hopefully those people who are affected are still able to cruise and don't lose on airfare and hotel reservations.

Anyone interested in the Enchantment for 11/28? We did the Wild Turkeys Serenade cruise this past Thanksgiving, loved the ship but decided to try a different itinerary, and then I thought why mess with something that worked so well. I tried to book the Serenade for the 28th and could not believe it was sold out. Now I know why!!!!

Archived