• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

US$$ or pound sterling?

Pisti

Comparing the British pound versus the US dollar, the better rate at the moment for the Canadian dollar is the pound. Can I pay my account on board in pounds?:confused:

Comparing the British pound versus the US dollar, the better rate at the moment for the Canadian dollar is the pound. Can I pay my account on board in pounds?:confused:

You probably could, but the pounds would be converted into USD by Cunard, so you would end up with two currency change transactions and charges.

Nice try though.

David.

On this point, I was wondering today (as Nationwide announced we would be charged for using their card abroad now, in non-EU countries) - if the currency on board is US dollars, but we are leaving from the UK, will this then be considered to be out of EU spending, and therefore incur the extra charges?

Sarah

Talking of currencies, Cunard have put there onboard prices up - this is in the current climate does not seem very wise IMHO!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Can anyone give an idea of the new prices eg a martini (gotta have my Commodore fix!), bottle of nice but lightish wine and a beer?

Thanks

Talking of currencies, Cunard have put there onboard prices up - this is in the current climate does not seem very wise IMHO!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Not good for us, but Cunard have to make a profit, interesting to know how much they have gone up, I think its all still good value for money and we can just take on a few bottles

You probably could, but the pounds would be converted into USD by Cunard, so you would end up with two currency change transactions and charges.

Nice try though.

David.

Does that mean that even UK residents must pay in US dollars?

I meant paying in cash, not credit card when I pay my account on board.

Does that mean that even UK residents must pay in US dollars?

I meant paying in cash, not credit card when I pay my account on board.

Onboard accounts (along with all purchases) are recorded in $US. You may pay with other currency at the Front Desk, but you will receive an exchange rate that is not favorable to you. Pretty much worse than the worst bank rate. So if you are intent on paying with cold, hard cash, better to exchange into $US at home, if you have a general idea of what you intend to spend. Myself, I refuse to look at the bill (paid through the recorded credit card) until I am several martinis deep once back ashore!:eek:

Onboard accounts (along with all purchases) are recorded in $US. You may pay with other currency at the Front Desk, but you will receive an exchange rate that is not favorable to you. Pretty much worse than the worst bank rate. So if you are intent on paying with cold, hard cash, better to exchange into $US at home, if you have a general idea of what you intend to spend. Myself, I refuse to look at the bill (paid through the recorded credit card) until I am several martinis deep once back ashore!:eek:

Have to agree with Seamates - martinis make it better!

Re the currency question & one used onboard for Cunard, in the 80s & 90's I believe they used to use dollars for QE2 on the crossings but then revert to UK Pounds for the Med cruises. It's a shame they don't still do that nowadays as us Brits are losing out big time!

Rob6852 - I am not quite sure if the drinks are still good value with the recent dollar increases from a recent bar list I've seen - they equate to a more expensive pub or 3 / even 4 star plus hotel when you factor in the dollar rate against Pound & add the 15% surcharge - they of course seemed very reasonable last year with the good rate of exchange against the dollar.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Archived