Is decorating your door tacky?

geneology

I am a first time cruiser and after reading about people decorating their doors I thought it would be fun. I dont want to offend anyone.:( Just want to put up CC symbol, Palm tree, dry-erase board - Battery operated lights and lots of bling!! JK about the last two items!! :D

We have someone on our cc board that has had some great decorations that she shared. This time we will have more then the CC sign. We have even come up with a name/theme. Check out Voyager 3/22/2009

I don't think it's tacky, though I know some here have STRONG opinions on the subject. You will see a lot of decorations on doors throughout the ship, so you will certainly not be alone. We purchase a package through Disney, and our door always has some type of decoration. Don't worry about what others think, just do what will enhance your own experience! Happy sailing!

We did it as did many others over Christmas and New Year's and some had there favourite college football teams represented for the bowl games, but there are lots more holidays that can be celebrated with door decorations...just use some taste,.... I guess.:o

I don't think it's tacky, I think it's fun! I print mine on ink jet magnet stuff - full sheet. It has our names on it, so less incentive to steal it. And it's not cute little magnets, so again less incentive to steal it.

I think it's a cute idea, as long as people don't go too overboard. It's especially nice at holiday time. I'm surprised at how some people get really into it - lights, photos, the whole nine yards. It takes a lot of time to put that stuff up!

If you want to do it, go for it! Just don't put anything up there that you would mind losing, as it can develop feet of its own and walk away. :rolleyes:

We've been on several Christmas cruises. Those have been the ones where we've seen more door decorations. I took the Christmas cards we had received and used double-sided tape to attach them to the door. (I tried it out first to make sure it wouldn't leave a mark when it was removed.) Some people had their doors decorated like packges--completely covered with wrapping paper and a big bow. Others had stockings. Some had wreaths.

For our next cruise in a couple of weeks, I may take a little St. Patrick's Day decoration. Having something on our door may keep me from trying to open our neighbor's cabin door by mistake.

Since this thread calls for strictly opinion since there is no rule, that I know of, by the cruise line regarding it.

Yes it is tacky! I don't feel that any guest has the right to use public space, and the outside of your door facing a hall is public space to decorate, advertise etc.

To those who have recieved positive comments on board, I don't doubt for a minute that there have been others who rolled their eyes as the passed your door but who is likely to say something negative to you about it, unless it was something obviously offensive. So just because you did not get negative comments doesn't mean there were not negative opinions of it.

I have seen people hang banners from their balcony in port as well, again very tacky.

So to the OP in answer to your question, There will be those on board who think it is fine and those who think it is not.

There will also be those that will remove such items from your door, and no, as much as I dislike them I don't but I have seen people do it, and especially kids do it.

I've never actually seen a decorated door on any of the cruises I've been on. The CC readers are only a small percentage of actual cruisers.

Ditto this... I've never seen it either. I don't know about tacky, but I couldn't be bothered. Too many other things to think about and do.

Probably helpful for kids, Alzheimers, and boozers.

Probably fun for those celebrating events.

Probably stupid for wet blanket types.

Probably entirely up to cabin inhabitants.

Hey, have fun.

Ditto. Keeps the world a much more interesting place.

Pearl

I am a first time cruiser and after reading about people decorating their doors I thought it would be fun. I dont want to offend anyone.:( Just want to put up CC symbol, Palm tree, dry-erase board - Battery operated lights and lots of bling!! JK about the last two items!! :D

in the end its your cabin door not thiers, decorate your door how ever you wish & screw who ever dislikes it, they are just upset your having more fun then them anyway.

Life is too short..If you want to decorate your door, cabin or yourself go and have fun.

We DO decorate our cabin doors according to a theme, that suits us, (Easter this year) makes it easy to fine our room- helped when mom came along in August, also travel with a disabled teen.....

Sooooo, if it does not agree with you, I guess you can walk down the hall with your eyes closed?:)

Those door decorations can sometimes be sneaky little devils.

They decide they want to see other parts of the ship and get lost in doing so

.... never to be seen again.;)

Yeaahh only put stuff you're prepared to lose and can do without...

which brings me to the subject of placing things there with a view to giving them away!

Geez, I'd love to buy a box 100 of those magnetic Cruisecritic magnet

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=23

put them on the door and watch them 'move' - just fer fun

magnet.jpg.5f94f31710539f0e54b39094c3f7bf19.jpg

We just got off the Freedom and decorated our doors. We had adjoining cabins and even decorated the connecting doors. We only had a little banner hanging about birthdays!! One gal that was with us had no sense of directions!! She said you don't know how many times that helped me find my cabin!!!!:D

Archived