• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

June 5 Constitution day in Copenhagen info

Help!! Maybe some of the locals can answner my questions.

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess and will be disembarking in Copenhagen on June 5. We are planning a 2 night post stay in Copenhagen and am trying to plan what we will do during our time there. I understand that this is a national holiday in Denmark, Constitution Day. I have done some research trying to find out what effect this will have on any sightseeing (museums, etc.). I have read that some places close early---but what places and how early??? What about the out laying areas? Thanks, Marcia

I posted the same question in January and this is the response I got from Danish Viking. ( Thanks again.)

"All museums and cafés and restaurants are open but shops are closed.

If you still are in Copenhagen the 6th of June you can go to a concert with the dutch trance dj Tiësto. "

When are you arriving, Marcia? Are you aware that museums/sites are closed on Mondays? We are arriving on the Monday before the cruise so will have to plan our sightseeing carefully.

Thanks for that info... I am hoping to get a little more detail info as to what closes and the approx. Times.

We arrive on may 23 in the evening and sail on the may 26 emerald sailing. After disembarking on the 6/5 staying around till early on 6/7 then flying home. Besides the june 5 holiday i just found out that on may 24 is the copenhagen marathon. Had planned to doing a lot of our " in town " sightseeing on sunday, may 24 but with the marathon running thru town alot of the streets will be closed, a lot more people will be in town.... So....trying to reorganize our touring plans. Want to go to fredrikborg castle one day--- wondering if it might be worth doing it on either the 24th or the 5th. Just need to get some verification that it is open regular hours on 6/5. From my readings i have found a few places are open on monday, rosenborg castle, resistance museum, christiansborg palace & tivoli. Canal tours so i am sure we can fill the day with one thing or another. Marcia

Thanks Danish Viking for the info on the Resistance Museum. Can you suggest some things of interest that we might consider doing on Monday. None of us have been to Copenhagen before.

We were originally going to go to Frederiksborg on Monday and do the museums in town on Sunday, but now we are thinking about doing Frederiksborg on Sunday to avoid all the in town traffic (crowds) that will be in town for the Marathon. Are we correct to think that the Marathon will effect the HOHO & bus service or do you thinnk we should just stick to our original plan?

Marcia

Danish Viking

I think we will plan to go to the Frederiksborg castle on that Sunday, May 24. How much time do you think we should allow for the entire trip, there and back with sightseeing?

Since so many places of interest seem to be closed on Monday I am trying to come up with a plan. We will sail on Tues. but then after the cruise (June 5) will be in town for that Fri and Sat. We had planned to go to Roskide post cruise to the Viking Ship Museum, but do you think we might be better doing this on that Monday May 25 and leave our city stuff until after the cruise? When we do go, how much time should we allow?

We would still have Tues before the cruise to see a couple of museums or a castle in town.

Another Question.....

What would you advise: We had planned to buy a 72 hr. Copenhagen card for the time before the cruise, but with so much closed, and if we spend both Sun & Mon out of town is it worth it? If I am correct the card does not include admission into Frederiksborg Castle or the Viking ship Museum, it would only cover the transportation train/ bus to these places? I don't have any idea how much the transportation tickets would cost vs. the CPH card? Can you help me figure that out? The only other thing that we were planning to use the CPH card for pre cruise was getting from the airport to town on May 24 in the evening.

**A THOUGHT** Is the HOHO ticket good for 24 or 48 hrs? WE are staying at the Marriott and I understand from some other post that the HOHO bus stops in front of the hotel, so couldn't we just use that to get around "in town" on Monday afternoon & Tues?

Thanks===your help is greatly appreciated . Marcia

It takes 40 minutes with the S-train line E to Hillerød and a nice 15-20 minute walk from the train station and around the castle lakes to the main entrance.

The Viking Ship museum is open all days from 10:00 to 17:00 and is located 20 minutes on foot from Roskilde station or with bus number 216 and 607.

Roskilde is located a 18-26 minute train trip away from Copenhagen, but must of the fast Intercity trains has a extra charge between Roskilde and Copenhagen.

I think that you can use at least 1,5 hours at each place.

There is free entrance to Frederiksborg Castle with the CPH Card but not the Viking ship museum.

But i have no idea about with dates you have to go, but i sugest that you go out of town when the marathon is on.

Maybe you can combine a trip to Frederiksborg with a trip to Kronborg (aka Hamlest castle).

http://www.ses.dk/55e655f0

About the ho/ho bus tickets, these are valid for one day but some special tickets are valid for 2 days.

http://www.sightseeing.dk/regado.jsp?id=0&type=booking

http://www.copenhagentours.net/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=9902

Danish Viking

Thanks for the info and the web sites. It's very useful. Have some ideas-would appreciate your feedback.

My friend said that except for the trapestries the rooms inside Kronborg castle are empty, is that correct?

Sunday head out of town to Hillerod Evening open Any ideas?

Do you know how we go about making reservations for the Ice Bar? I know it's at Hotel 27, but on a number of the threads that I have read people don't seemed to be able to get a response.

I am tossing around this idea for Monday---what do you think?

Take Richard Kaplans 10:30 walking tour (Castles & Kings) (90 min.) ends approx 12 noon.

Have a Hot Dog for lunch somewhere on the Stroget

Head over to Rosenborg Castle, tour it ( maybe pick up Richard's Castle & Royal treasures tour at 1:30pm. (90 min.) I understand that most of the signs inside of Rosenborg are not in English so Richards tour is very helpful..it that true?

Stay around after tour, view gardens .....or consider taking a canal cruise

Head back to hotel

late afternoon/early evening head to Tivoli gardens--dinner and maybe a concert

(I understand addmission to Tivoli is included if you buy a ticket to the concert. How far in advance do they list who is performing? Will this allow you to get in early in the day if you show the concert ticket?

Anything else that's open on Monday that you might suggest???? (this group likes to keep busy!!)

How late do the shops on the Stroget stay open on Mondays. I have read that most are closed on Sunday and a number of them close around 2pm on Saturdays, is that correct?

thanks again, look forward to hearing from you. Marcia

Tuesday before going to ship: Try and see a couple of the museums

Head back to Hotel--pick up luggage

check in on the ship 1pm=== grab some lunch on board (save us some $$)

go back out sightseeing (maybe HOHO bus if we buy the 2 day pass)

Q: My friend said that except for the trapestries the rooms inside Kronborg castle are empty, is that correct?

A: That is correct, but as you can see in the link above there are other museums in Kronborg.

Q: Sunday head out of town to Hillerod Evening open Any ideas?

A: Im sorry i don´t know this event but Do you have a link to a website or something.

Q: Do you know how we go about making reservations for the Ice Bar? I know it's at Hotel 27.

A: http://www.hotel27.dk/icebar/

http://www.hotel27.dk/website/ or phone number +45 70 27 56 27.

The big tour :)

I read a review on this forum some days ago and they told that the signs at Rosenborg was very informative and you can also ask the guides at the castle about anything related.

But Karpens tour sound wonderful

So far there is no show posted for monday but there is sunday with someyhing called Nordic Light with Danish public radios girls choir, junior choir and childrens choir and some solist including Herborg Kråkevik.

The composers are Michael Bojesen and Susanne wendt.

http://www.tivoli.dk/media(6714,1030)/KoncertsalensS%C3%A6sonprogram2009.pdf

Q: Anything else that's open on Monday that you might suggest???? (this group likes to keep busy!!)

All the things that i would suggest are closed but if you can´t get enough of the amusementsparks i would suggest the oldest park in the world Bakken.

http://www.bakken.dk/english.html

Q: How late do the shops on the Stroget stay open on Mondays. I have read that most are closed on Sunday and a number of them close around 2pm on Saturdays, is that correct?

A: the shops do close 18:00 on weekdays (19:00 on fridays) and 16:00 on saturdays and if there is sunday open it will be from 10:00 to 17:00.

Do i miss anything???

Danish Viking,

thank you for everything.

the Hillirod thing I was referring to was our day trip there to the Frederiksborg Castle.

I was reading my Rick Steve's Scandinavia book and he mentions it's possible to do the Frederiksbory Castle & the Louisiana on the same day outing. Would you suggest that for that Sunday, May 24 or do you think that would make it too long of an outing?

If we decide to go out of town and do the above trips how late do the trains from these areas run to take us back into downtown Copenhagen?

I was able to find out that our ship, the Emerald Princess will be using the Freeport (Frihaven) pier on May 26 (C245). Unlike at Langelinie does the Freeport pier have a lot or shops, restaurants, etc. close by? Will we still be able to catch the #26 bus & the HOHO one from right there?

Thanks to you and others I think I can sit down now and come up with some itinerary for our time in Copehagen. Once again thank you so very much.

Marcia

Q: the Hillirod thing I was referring to was our day trip there to the Frederiksborg Castle.

I was reading my Rick Steve's Scandinavia book and he mentions it's possible to do the Frederiksbory Castle & the Louisiana on the same day outing. Would you suggest that for that Sunday, May 24 or do you think that would make it too long of an outing?

If we decide to go out of town and do the above trips how late do the trains from these areas run to take us back into downtown Copenhagen?

A: Oh i thought that you wrote Hillerød Evening open but it was of course that you had the evening open.

Last September i did a tour with a couple here from Cruisecritic and we started at Frederiksborg Castle when and the took the train to Elsinore/Helsingør and the Kronborg Castle.

After a long day (we started from the central station at 08:00) we ended back at the Central station around 18:00 and headed for a nice dinner at Cafe Ultima in Tivoli.

You can easily start at 09:00 from the Central station because we where at the Castle around 09:00 and it opens at 10:00.

So in short, both Frederiksborg Castle and Louisiana are indeed duable in one day.

If you want to avoid the busses you can get from Hillerød to Humlebæk where louisiana is located in 2 ways.

1) take the local train heading for Helsingør and get of at either Snekkersten or Helsingør.

From here you take the Øresund/Airport train heading for Copenhagen and get off at Humlebæk.

This is the Sunday schedule so the train don´t goes that often but here is the schedule

The local train goes every hour at XX:00 from Hillerød station to Helsingør and will be at Helsingør at XX:28

The train from Helsingør to Humlebæk goes at XX:15, XX:35 XX:55 and the trip takes 9 minute.

2) Take the S-train line E back to Copenhagen and get off at Hellerup.

From here you take the Øresund/Airport train heading for Elsinore/Helsingør (not Nivå) and get off at Humlebæk.

Again we are talking about the sunday schedule but here it goes

S-train line E heading for Køge (my town :)) goes at XX:02, XX:22 and XX:42 and are at Hellerup at XX:28, XX:48 and XX:08.

The Øresund/Airport train from Hellerup to Helsingør goes at XX:10, XX:30 and XX:50 and the trip takes 22 minutes.

The last train from Humlebæk to Copenhagen goes at 00:02.

Q: I was able to find out that our ship, the Emerald Princess will be using the Freeport (Frihaven) pier on May 26 (C245). Unlike at Langelinie does the Freeport pier have a lot or shops, restaurants, etc. close by? Will we still be able to catch the #26 bus & the HOHO one from right there?

A: No it is a industral port but there are a terminal with café´s and stuff

I don´t know about the Ho/Ho but the bus number 26 only goes to the freeport area monday to friday, but Nordhavn S-train station is a 10 minute walk away from the pier.

Please post the itinerary with the date when it is ready and i will double check it for opening hours, public transport and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

We spent a week in Copenhagen last summer pre-cruise and I have to say Louisiana was a highlight. Wonderful art, beautiful location on the water, good (although expensive) resturant. Lots of children playing on the grass. Plus it was very easy to reach by public transportation. I would certainly suggest you keep this on your itenerary. The Hamlet castle we had trouble finding... and there was a long way to walk to get back to the train. That would be further down on my list. Rosenborg was wonderful. We also took a city tour (on foot) that Rick Steves recommended that gave a great overview of the city - and ended with the changing of the guards. I loved every minute of Copenhagen!

• 1 month later...

There are 3 events going on on constitution day.

Start Festival

http://www.startfestival.dk/

The Vesterbro Festival, named after the trendy, gentrified neighborhood, has gained its grounds in the Copenhagen music scene in recent years. However, this year the festival has transformed into the aptly titled Start!Festival, which will offer more than 100 concerts on six stages within the genres of rock, indie, world/folk, singer-songwriter and electronic/jazz. As before the festival wants to pave the way for upcoming bands.

From happy-go-lucky pop to underground electro

In the industrial setting of the meatpacking district you will get the chance to experience established Danish names such as Diefenbach, Mike Sheridan and Turboweekend alongside a broad spectrum of upcoming names, which represent everything from alternative pop, keyboards and catchy tunes to experimenting, progressive electronic orchestras. When you buy a day ticket of DKK 150 you can listen to as much music as you feel up to. Expect cascades of musical ingenuity in the Vesterbro summer night.

Copenhagen Distortion

http://www.cphdistortion.dk/

Distortion is a leading force within Copenhagen's party, street, fashion and music culture. It is a mobile festival, where local and international icons of street and club culture are invited to host one party each. The result is Copenhagen's most vibrant and impulsive festival.

A battle between neighbourhoods

During the five day long extravaganza of electronic underground beats the different neighbourhoods of Copenhagen battle to set up the craziest and most intense party experience. Think green party busses, fire truck concerts and street gay weddings. Exhibitions of upcoming art and live concerts further ad to the urban and dynamic feel. Distortion is famous and notorious for its ability to create intense chaos, always pushing frontiers to their limit as to what and how a party should be celebrated. There are no frames, no boundaries, the event is meant to be the ultimate city event. The festival has thus become synonymous with the energy, style, and underground flair, which so quintessentially define the city.

Soundscape09

www.soundscape09.dk

Copenhagen is bumping with electronic music these days. A Tiësto concert will hit the venue of Forum the night after, but tonight a full blown house lineup is ready for the event Soundscape 09.

In the mix

You will have the chance to shake it to names such as Roger Sanchez, Erik Prydz, Lulu Rouge, Axwell, Booka Shade and Kato, when the dance floor is inaugurated in Forum. The event can house 10.000 guests, so if you want to dodge the crowds you can always seek refuge at Stage 2, where a selection of the best Danish DJ's can be found behind the mixer. Expect lots of stomping and loudness.

Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Gaugain

http://www.arken.dk/content/us

ARKEN Museum of Modern Art, which is located in Ishøj just outside of Copenhagen presents the fine collection of French Impressionists and Post-impressionists from The Israel Museum, Jerusalem. 53 paintings and sculptures come to Denmark for the exhibition: Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Gaugain.

Once controversial - now adored

It is a unique opportunity to experience a number of masterpieces by the many innovative artists who revolutionised world art from the 1870's and onwards. The artists caused an outrage when they appeared. Today they rank among the most reproduced, popular and priceless artists.

The collection of Impressionist and Post-impressionist art includes some of the Israel Museum's most beloved works. While individual works have participated in numerous exhibitions worldwide, and images from the collection are included in many publications, this is the first time that an ensemble of major works from this collection travels outside Jerusalem.

Many more events (29 in total) can be found here. http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/content/tourist/what_to_see_and_do/events/what_is_on?Period=2009-06-05

Archived