• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Brazil Visa Problems

PAgang

Has Anyone ( except Carnival Splendor- 2009 trip) experienced not being allowed to board a cruise ship due to not having a Brazilian Visa? I understand that Royal Carribbean had a problem. Did the company take any positive action to reimburse you for your lost cruise, for a portion of the cruise lost while you obtained a Brazilian Visa, or for expenses incurred while obtaining a visa and getting to a port to board the ship midcruise?

frankly, it is the responsibility of the passenger to check what documentation was required and obtain it for yourself.

that is assuming that you were actually on that cruise and not just posting something to stir a ruckus.

that's really all it comes down to...

Has Anyone ( except Carnival Splendor- 2009 trip) experienced not being allowed to board a cruise ship due to not having a Brazilian Visa? I understand that Royal Carribbean had a problem. Did the company take any positive action to reimburse you for your lost cruise, for a portion of the cruise lost while you obtained a Brazilian Visa, or for expenses incurred while obtaining a visa and getting to a port to board the ship midcruise?

PAgang,

How many times has Carnival been to Brazil? I don't know of any other stops there, but perhaps there are?

Why would a cruise line reimburse a pax for the pax failing to obtain proper travel documents? Doesn't make sense to me that it would ever occur. It would be like a car rental agency reimbursing a passenger in your rental car that ended up driving for not having a driver's license. :rolleyes:

Interesting questions. I took a cruise from Rio last year....we were specifically told that it was our responsibility to get a Visa. In fact, the airline out of Atlanta checked to make sure we had the Visa in our passport before we boarded the plane (that was landing in Rio).

Did you not know to get a Visa to enter Brasil?

It is definately not any cruise line's responsibility.

However, I have read of one instance (with the Splendor) where the cruisers specifically asked their Travel Agent if they would need a Visa and the TA told them no.

This couple does have recourse with the TA (not the Cruise Line)...because the TA excepted renumeration for services provided. (via a commission)

By not giving this couple the correct information, the TA was negligent in providing the "standard of care" that they were paid for.

Why would one think they should be paid/reimbursed while one was obtaining something they were responsible for having from the getgo? :confused:

I can't address your question about RCCL specificallly....what I can tell you is this:

Brazil requires a visa....this information is given at the time of reservation by both TA's and cruise line reservationists. It is also readily available online for anyone who might have a specific question. In addition, it's in the brochure and in the documents received.... It is ALWAYS the passengers responsibility to make sure they have all documents required for their trip....

Just like on an airline.....if you don't have the proper documents, you will be denied boarding...period. It's not their fault that required visas are not in the passengers possession. Just like an airline, there is no compensation for incompetence.

Many folks love to blame others for their lack of research, their "nobody told me" excuses and for other mishaps that could have easily been avoided had they paid attention, listened to what was said and took action to get what was needed.

Archived