• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Would you postone getting pregnant for Oasis?

Me (25) and my husband (26) got married this past October and are thinking about starting a family sometime over the next two years. Ideally, we would start trying near the end of this year. BUT, that would mean we would have to cancel our Oasis cruise which we have put down the deposit for September 4, 2010 (it is the only time of year we can afford to go).

It seems like our options are to move forward with trying late this year/early next year, and risk the possibility that we would have to cancel our cruise. We would eventually be able to cruise Oasis a couple years down the line with the child. Or...we could postpone the pregnancy a bit and aim to be no more than 5 months pregnant on the cruise. Or....we could wait to even start trying after we have cruised in September 2010.

I feel like if I were able to experience Oasis, I could be completely satisfied with taking a break from cruising for a couple years as we wait for our child to get older. Or, I could say to heck with it, let's have the baby and Oasis will just have to wait.

Any thoughts? How would you plan things?

I'd get to know each other better, travel the world, purchase home, etc.. then start with the rug rats... that's what we did, it was the best thing we could've ever done.... Started cruising in 83, married in 87, first child arrived in 92... Of course, all of this is IMHO!

I'd get to know each other better, travel the world, purchase home, etc.. then start with the rug rats... that's what we did, it was the best thing we could've ever done.... Started cruising in 83, married in 87, first child arrived in 92... Of course, all of this is IMHO!

Thanks for your advice. I will tell you that we have been together for 9 years....since we were 16 and 17. We have purchased a home last August and have already done extensive traveling (Italy, France, Germany, Caribbean, all over continental US). Of course we want to do more travel and will always want to do more.

I have an excellent idea

Why dont you get pregnant on the cruise?

Everyday can be baby making day on the Oasis

plus you can join the balcony club :D just joking on that one

I wish you guys a long wonderful marriage

take care!

If having children is really important to you, then I would say that to let nature take its course. Book the cruise, and then see what happens. If you get pregnant and it would interfere with the cruise, then cancel at the final payment time. I would hate to think you delayed having a baby and then find out later you can't because of something you can't control just to take a cruise. The Oasis will most likely still be sailing a decade from now.

JMHO, and you should feel free to ignore it completely as I have no kids. :D

jc

Thanks for your advice. I will tell you that we have been together for 9 years....since we were 16 and 17. We have purchased a home last August and have already done extensive traveling (Italy, France, Germany, Caribbean, all over continental US). Of course we want to do more travel and will always want to do more.

I see said the blind man! Well... seems like you' may not be ready to have children, if your divided between travel/fun and having a child. I don't mean this in a negative way, not at all... But then again, when is someone 'ready' to have a child?! I'd weigh out the pros' and cons... I can help:

COSTS:

Children 18 year span:

$1.2 million

Travel over 18 year span:

$108,000 (ave. $6,000 a year on travel)..

That's exactly what my husband and I are doing! Our 10th anniversary is December 26th. We decided 2 years ago we were ready to have children. When we heard about Oasis OTS, we decided to wait to start trying until this August so that I wouldn't be more than 24 weeks along during our January 2-9, 2010 cruise on Oasis!

If having children is really important to you, then I would say that to let nature take its course. Book the cruise, and then see what happens. If you get pregnant and it would interfere with the cruise, then cancel at the final payment time. I would hate to think you delayed having a baby and then find out later you can't because of something you can't control just to take a cruise. The Oasis will most likely still be sailing a decade from now.

jc

Thanks for the response. There are times when I feel exactly as you described...that we should let nature take its course and see what happens. But then some days I think....if we could just wait 10 months.....

I see said the blind man! Well... seems like you' may not be ready to have children, if your divided between travel/fun and having a child. I don't mean this in a negative way, not at all... But then again, when is someone 'ready' to have a child?! I'd weigh out the pros' and cons... I can help:

COSTS:

Children 18 year span:

$1.2 million

Travel over 18 year span:

$108,000 (ave. $6,000 a year on travel)..

lol! No, I definately don't take your comments negatively. I wouldn't say we are divided between child and fun/travel, I would more say that we are trying to deteming the ORDER of the child and fun/travel ;)

That's exactly what my husband and I are doing! Our 10th anniversary is December 26th. We decided 2 years ago we were ready to have children. When we heard about Oasis OTS, we decided to wait to start trying until this August so that I wouldn't be more than 24 weeks along during our January 2-9, 2010 cruise on Oasis!

Very exciting! I just wish I were taking a January 2010 (as opposed to September) cruise....then it would be so much more simple!!

jc

Sage advice, Grasshopper. ;) (and we have one kid)

Is it wrong that when I think about adding another child I think about having to take 2 cabins instead of 1? :p lol

But seriously, my kids were planned better than the Normandy Invasion. But I think if you are ready to have a baby, then don't obsess over having to cancel a cruise. You try when you are ready. If you have to cancel, then at least look at it this way, you'll get your deposit back and you can buy baby clothes with it. :D

And rest assured. Babies don't side track a cruise for that long. Oasis will have a nursery onboard. ;)

Personally, I'd want to experience life as a young married couple before starting to raise kids. Go explore the world, get to know each other better, do spontaneous things as a couple before introducing children to the family.

They've been together since they were 16 (I met my husband when I was 16 so I know what it's like). Basically, 9 years later, there isn't much left to "explore" lol. :p

Is it wrong that when I think about adding another child I think about having to take 2 cabins instead of 1? :p lol

But seriously, my kids were planned better than the Normandy Invasion. But I think if you are ready to have a baby, then don't obsess over having to cancel a cruise. You try when you are ready. If you have to cancel, then at least look at it this way, you'll get your deposit back and you can buy baby clothes with it. :D

And rest assured. Babies don't side track a cruise for that long. Oasis will have a nursery onboard. ;)

I've always wondered what people do with their children when they're in port and want to go on an excursion like zip lines. Do you leave the children onboard (well obviously) and how does the cruiseline get ahold of you should there be an emergency?

Oh I have much to learn in this area...

They've been together since they were 16 (I met my husband when I was 16 so I know what it's like). Basically, 9 years later, there isn't much left to "explore" lol. :p

Hmmm...that bit of information kinda changes the picture, doesn't it?

*Note to self - read ENTIRE thread before responding...* :D

I've always wondered what people do with their children when they're in port and want to go on an excursion like zip lines. Do you leave the children onboard (well obviously) and how does the cruiseline get ahold of you should there be an emergency?

Oh I have much to learn in this area...

Are you asking about people, in general, or me specificially? ;)

Generally, yes, people do leave their kids onboard and do excursions. You cannot be reached when you are off the ship. You sign over "permission to treat" to the Adventure Ocean staff. If you are at Labadee, then the kids club is moved TO Labadee, so you could do the ziplines and the kids would be right there at the club.

More often, people take the kids with them and just hold off on the more adult excursions until the kids are old enough to do them themselves. :)

For me, personally, it took me until my kids 8th cruise to do my first excursion without them. The kids asked to stay onboard when we went to Belize. So it took all of these cruises to finally get comfortable enough to do it. But everyone has a different comfort level. ;)

What are Kids???

If they mess up with my travel plans I dont want nothin to do with 'em!!!

JK we are childless by choice so cant be of any help!

I know if I cant help why the heck did I even post;)

Are you asking about people, in general, or me specificially? ;)

Generally, yes, people do leave their kids onboard and do excursions. You cannot be reached when you are off the ship. You sign over "permission to treat" to the Adventure Ocean staff. If you are at Labadee, then the kids club is moved TO Labadee, so you could do the ziplines and the kids would be right there at the club.

More often, people take the kids with them and just hold off on the more adult excursions until the kids are old enough to do them themselves. :)

For me, personally, it took me until my kids 8th cruise to do my first excursion without them. The kids asked to stay onboard when we went to Belize. So it took all of these cruises to finally get comfortable enough to do it. But everyone has a different comfort level. ;)

8 cruises before you felt comfortable with leaving them? I'm just trying to work on getting to 8 cruises BEFORE I introduce kids!

As I said, I have much to learn. And miles (and miles and miles) to go before I sleep.

Archived