• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Where Do I Go In Seattle?

Cuzin Vinny

Hi All,

We are going to Seattle in August to embark on a 7 day RC cruise to Alaska. Our ship, Rhapsody of the Sea's is leaving from the Terminal 91 Cruise Facility. We will be spending 2 days in Seattle before embarkation and would like to know of any nice, medium-priced hotels near this area. We would also like to try Seattle's best pizza, hotdog and Chinese restuarants. Any info would be appreciated.:confused:

terminal 91 is not walking distance to any hotels..you may want to

consider one of the downtown hotel s..then take a taxi to the pier the

day of your cruise..

check easyclick or priceline for a listed hotel..or take a chance on bidding

on priceline..

Hi All,

We are going to Seattle in August to embark on a 7 day RC cruise to Alaska. Our ship, Rhapsody of the Sea's is leaving from the Terminal 91 Cruise Facility. We will be spending 2 days in Seattle before embarkation and would like to know of any nice, medium-priced hotels near this area. We would also like to try Seattle's best pizza, hotdog and Chinese restuarants. Any info would be appreciated.:confused:

My 2 cents on the Pizza is Pegasus on Alki Beach. Here is the link:

http://www.pegasusonalki.com/.

You would probably want a rental car to get there on Alki Beach

For Pizza in Seattle it doesn't get any better than Northlake Tavern & Pizza. I recommend the "Logger Special".

http://www.northlaketavern.com/

For Chineese I recommend Louies.

http://www.louiescuisine.com/

For a hotdog nothing special comes to mind. I guess maybe Safeco Field if the Mariners are in town.

Downtown hotels are quite pricey during the Summer. For less expensive alternatives look at hotels around the Seattle Center area (Best Western Executive Inn comes to mind, but there are several others).

We would also like to try Seattle's best pizza, hotdog and Chinese restuarants.

Opinions vary. While Seattle's first name was "New York Alki" ("Alki" = "some day" in the local Indian language,) NYC we ain't. Still...

Pizza: For the real (Italian) deal, try Tutta Bella, several locations including downtown. http://www.tuttabellapizza.com/ The Northlake Tavern is an old-fashioned student bar, where the cholesterol will be delivered in great quantities, slowly.

Hot dogs: Taxi Dogs in the Pike Market, or Shultzy's on "the Ave" (University Way) in the U district not too far from the Northlake.

Chinese: Lots of regional options; we like Duk Li and House of Hong, both in the Chinatown/International District for dim sum; Snappy Dragon in Maple Leaf for sit-down or delivery, but probably not good for tourists.

My strongest recommendation for Asian food, however, is to take advantage of our Pacific Rim location and try out other Asian cuisines. A great, affordable, fun place for visitors to sample the choices is the terrific pan-Asian food court at Uwajimaya (http://www.uwajimaya.com/) in the I.D. at lunch time or before a ball game etc. Pick from Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese or Hawaiian food stalls, or one of the great Chinese bakeries, then eat at the communal tables surrounded by locals and shoppers.

Then wander around Uwajimaya itself - amazing fish department, play "name that vegetable" in the produce section, stock up on kitschy Japanese candy/toy thingies... it's a ball.

Hi Gardyloo,

Thanks for all the good info. I will make good use of it. Can you also point me out to a med-priced hotel close to attractions I can walk too. My wife and I are true urban New Yorkers and we do not drive. No need to - greatest transportation system ever.

Anyhow thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it.

Opinions vary. While Seattle's first name was "New York Alki" ("Alki" = "some day" in the local Indian language,) NYC we ain't. Still...

Pizza: For the real (Italian) deal, try Tutta Bella, several locations including downtown. http://www.tuttabellapizza.com/ The Northlake Tavern is an old-fashioned student bar, where the cholesterol will be delivered in great quantities, slowly.

Hot dogs: Taxi Dogs in the Pike Market, or Shultzy's on "the Ave" (University Way) in the U district not too far from the Northlake.

Chinese: Lots of regional options; we like Duk Li and House of Hong, both in the Chinatown/International District for dim sum; Snappy Dragon in Maple Leaf for sit-down or delivery, but probably not good for tourists.

My strongest recommendation for Asian food, however, is to take advantage of our Pacific Rim location and try out other Asian cuisines. A great, affordable, fun place for visitors to sample the choices is the terrific pan-Asian food court at Uwajimaya (http://www.uwajimaya.com/) in the I.D. at lunch time or before a ball game etc. Pick from Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese or Hawaiian food stalls, or one of the great Chinese bakeries, then eat at the communal tables surrounded by locals and shoppers.

Then wander around Uwajimaya itself - amazing fish department, play "name that vegetable" in the produce section, stock up on kitschy Japanese candy/toy thingies... it's a ball.

Yup Northlake Tavern and pizza is definitely a UW student hangout, but is there a better judge of pizza than college students, lol. Definately not the floppy fold in half NY style pizza though, more of a 5 pound eat with a fork kind of pizza.

Hi Gardyloo,

Thanks for all the good info. I will make good use of it. Can you also point me out to a med-priced hotel close to attractions I can walk too. My wife and I are true urban New Yorkers and we do not drive. No need to - greatest transportation system ever.

Anyhow thanks for the tips. Really appreciate it.

Peak period of course, but you might want to look at a the Arctic Club Hotel, a recently opened property adapted from one of the best historic buildings in the downtown area. It's walkable from both the commercial/Pike Market areas and also the International District and baseball field. I can see rooms in mid-August for $199, which for a place of that quality is a helluva deal.

On the baseball note, if you're on the 8/14 sailing, the Yankees will be in town to lose to the Mariners. ;)

http://www.arcticclubhotel.com/

Peak period of course, but you might want to look at a the Arctic Club Hotel, a recently opened property adapted from one of the best historic buildings in the downtown area. It's walkable from both the commercial/Pike Market areas and also the International District and baseball field. I can see rooms in mid-August for $199, which for a place of that quality is a helluva deal.

On the baseball note, if you're on the 8/14 sailing, the Yankees will be in town to lose to the Mariners. ;)

http://www.arcticclubhotel.com/

Hope they do. I'm a Mets fan.

I would take the Arctic Club Hotel with a grain of salt right now. They have just downgraded from a 4 star to a 3 or less star hotel (that's still up in the air). They are changing over their restaurant and lowering both prices and quality there, and there are rumors in the local hospitality industry of financial reasons for all of the above. While the building is historical and very unique, you might not find it to your liking until they right the ship and find their true identity.

Hi All,

Not sure what you have in mind for budget for the hotel, but the nicer hotels near the waterfront run toward pricey in my book. I would go for the area near the seattle center personally, not far from the cruise ships and in general less expensive. Here is a link to several, just scroll down. http://www.seattle-downtown.com/seattle-center/

Can't help with the pizza or hot dogs, but as far as Chinese Restaurants (just my personal opinion, please no flaming!) my guess is the food would be much like Chinese restaurants anywhere. For something more reflective of the area, I would go for an Asian Fusion restaurant like Wild Ginger, Monsoon or many other choices. Wild Ginger is spendy, an inexpensive choice would be a pho house. Wonderful, flavorful fresh soups with your choice of meat, veggies, noodles etc and at a budget price. There are scads of pho houses here, can't throw a rock without hitting one. A really good one is pho cyclo http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/41896121/ looks like it would be a convenient location for you too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,13202873403255424615&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&dq=pho+cyclo+seattle&daddr=2414+1st+Ave+S,+Seattle,+WA+98134&geocode=4404950877389953991,47.581800,-122.334198&ei=shCzSfH4IIHasAPBqOCOAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=directions-to

We are cruising out of the same peir in May on the Golden. We are staying at the Springfield Suites downtown. They offer shuttle service to all the downtown attractions at no charge and have a shuttle to the port for a nominal charge.

Have a look at the Mayflower Park hotel--great central downtown location and reasonably priced for downtown Seattle.

Having lived in NYC for years before moving out here, I'd venture to guess you might be a little disappointed with what Seattle has to offer in those food categories--NYC does all of those so well it's hard to top. But we have our own strengths--if you like seafood, try some fresh local varieties like wild Pacific salmon and dungeness crab and as has been mentioned, other Asian cuisines besides Chinese are very well represented here, particularly Vietnamese and Thai. Oh and it's not hot dogs but you might want to check out the salami and other charcuterie at Salumi in Pioneer Square (run by Mario Batali's family)--great sandwiches, open for lunch only.

We are cruising out of the same peir in May on the Golden. We are staying at the Springfield Suites downtown. They offer shuttle service to all the downtown attractions at no charge and have a shuttle to the port for a nominal charge.

I think you may mean SpringHILL suites by Marriott??

Having lived in NYC for years before moving out here, I'd venture to guess you might be a little disappointed with what Seattle has to offer in those food categories--NYC does all of those so well it's hard to top. But we have our own strengths--if you like seafood, try some fresh local varieties like wild Pacific salmon and dungeness crab and as has been mentioned, other Asian cuisines besides Chinese are very well represented here, particularly Vietnamese and Thai.

I agree. Seattle is nothing like NYC, so why come here and eat the same food that you eat there?! Sample some of the foods that Seattle is famous for instead! I live out on the Eastside, so I can't give specific recommendations for downtown Seattle. A trip to the International District/Uwajimaya is always fun and educational. There's plenty of fresh seafood to be found. Why would you want a HOT DOG?! :eek:

Okay stupid question alert. :)

What are some of the foods that Seattle is famous for?

We don't do seafood so looking for other suggestions.

Thanks

If by "seafood" you mean shellfish, there's still salmon of course.

Otherwise, there is excellent lamb from central Washington, and fabulous fruit in season - Rainier cherries (better than any cherry you've ever eaten, promise) and of course apples and stone fruit, also from eastern Washington. Seattle is a big organic/green center, and many of the restaurants feature "Northwest" cooking - or some kind of fusion cuisine, that makes the most of abundant locally produced ingredients. It's quite the foodie heaven, actually - check out http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/4. Or try Ezell's chicken - http://www.ezellschicken.com/ - allegedly responsible for one or more of Oprah's "expansionist" periods - sent by air express, really.

There's also coffee, beer and wine aplenty. Oh, and candy - some of the best chocolate made in the USA is made here, including Fran's chocolate-covered caramels, which are the fave chocolates of our most famous power couple these days - you know, the two that live on Pennsylvania Avenue in a big house with their kids.

Seattle is a port city with restaurants from many different cultures. There is fairly large Asian population here, you can find good Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese & fusion restaurants.

Like the previous poster, I would say Seattle is known for its coffee, salmon & fruit.

Thanks for all the local food tips. I do fruit :D and would be great to try. I'm looking fowrad to trying the cherries, :) hope they are in season.

What is stone friut? Never heard of it.

Chocolate sounds good too. :D :D

I will skip, all the meat and fish options ;):p

What are some of the foods that Seattle is famous for?

I thought of one more; Fran's Chocolate. Obama's favorite candy.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2252-Seattle-American-Food-Examiner~y2009m1d14-Obamas-favorite-Seattle-treat-Frans-Sea-Salt-Caramels

No matter your political leanings, Fran's makes delicious chocolate. Truly a bipartisan delight. :)

Might want to check out Palisades which is out by Terminal 91 where your ship will be leaving from. Also, Anthony's is always good. The Pier 66 location is right by the other cruise ship terminal downtown.

Archived