• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

New Ports for Carnival?

What ports would you like to see Carnival add in the future?  

661 members have voted

1. 1. What ports would you like to see Carnival add in the future?

• Cancun, Mexico (Western Caribbean) - Tendered
    • St. Thomas de Castilla, Guatamala (Western Caribbean) - Tendered
    • Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (Eastern Caribbean) - Docked
    • Samana, Dominican Republic (Eastern Caribbean) - Tendered
    • Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (Eastern Caribbean) - Tendered
    • Fredericksted, St. Croix, USVI (Eastern Caribbean) - Docked
    • Tortola, British Virgin Islands (Eastern Caribbean) - Docked
    • Other

Reading the recent Cruise Critic article about the "hot and cold" ports of the Caribbean got me to wondering, what is next for Carnival in the Caribbean?

Royal Caribbean seems to do well with Samana and Dominica and Norwegian has added St. Thomas de Castilla, but what's next. Surely Carnival must be working on something to spice up their classic Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries that many seasoned cruisers have sailed several times already.

I found a Carnival charter itinerary that includes Cancun as a tendered port a few weeks ago, and it made me wish that Carnival would add Cancun to at least one regular Western Caribbean itinerary, possibly in place of Belize, Grand Cayman, Calica or Progreso. Given its close proximity to Cozumel, Cancun could easily become a late-night port, similar to what Nassau is on some 4-night Nassau/Freeport sailings, where a ship could remain at Cancun (or Cozumel) until say midnight or 1am and still be able to be in port in Cozumel (or Cancun) by 7am the next morning.

Cancun certainly has the beaches, restaurants, bars shopping, and nightlife to entertain a cruise audience, and would actually be more convenient for excursions to places like the ruins at Tulum beacuse it would avoid the 45-minute ferry ride to the mainland that deters many guests from booking the excursion from Cozumel.

The only down side to Cancun is that it requires tendering since it lacks a pier, but this should not be a big deal as Carnival already tenders to Grand Cayman, Roatan and Belize on Western Caribbean itineraries. If Carnival can offer it as an option for charter itineraries, why can't they offer it on regular 7-night Western Caribbean itineraries.

What other ports would you like to see Carnival add to Caribbean Itineraries in the future?

What other ports would you like to see Carnival add to Caribbean Itineraries in the future?

*St. Croix

*Grenada

*Aruba

*Bonaire

*Curacao

I'll have to sail on Royal Caribbean to get to these ports since they are in R.C.'s line-up.

I don't want to see Belize or Roatan go out of Carnival's line-up. We still have things we want to see and do at each of these ports.

Tortola is already a port of call (Docked)......Been there twice, once on Carnival.;)

Guatemala is a little different. Been there twice on HAL. I hate to say I wasn't really impressed and yet the people were very nice.....

I would be a happy camper if they would start sailing back to Aruba. Went there on Destiny, and loved that itinerary. Change up the "old standards" - St. Marten, St. Thomas, Nassau, etc. I am now at the point of using those ports as ship/sea days. Looking at a cruise for Xmas 2010, and the itineraries they have posted right now are pretty much the same itinerary, different ship!

Would like to see Carnival come up with some round trip cruises from the west coast to Hawaii and the west coast to Alaska. Other cruise lines are able to do so (and manage to get a foreign port tucked into the itinerary to meet the intent of the law).

I would be on the first ship to Havana CUBA. I think that this cruise would sell-out every sailing. This has been a place that most Americans have NOT been able to see.

I would be on the first ship to Havana CUBA. I think that this cruise would sell-out every sailing. This has been a place that most Americans have NOT been able to see.

It'd be a ship full of Canadians and Germans because US Citizens are not permitted to visit Cuba unless they have family there or get a special permit, even if they are sailing on a foreign flagged ship. There is no way the US Government would let a major cruise ship schedule Cuba as a stop on a ship that home ports in the United States. You'll have to wait for the Castro family to die and a democratic government to take over before you'll see that embargo / travel ban lifted. That said, once it happens, you will see tremendous growth of new resorts on the island with practically hourly flights from South Florida and cruises calling and maybe even home porting there once the infrastructure can support the influx of tourists.

On a completely unrelated subject, I am amazed at the number of votes that St. Croix is getting. I believe Carnival may have sailed there back sometime in the 1990's, but pretty much every cruise line left in 2001 and 2002 due to the petty theft and crimes that were going on. I think Disney's announcement that they will add St. Croix to some of their itineraries now might make other lines, including Carnival look at it more closely.

It'd be a ship full of Canadians and Germans because US Citizens are not permitted to visit Cuba unless they have family there or get a special permit, /quote]

A lot of people assume that when Castro kicks the embargo will be lifted ... that's what the poster is talking about.

Been to Cancun, cruising there is pointless except maybe for the younger crowd during spring break ... isn't Progresso in that neighbourhood anyway?

Love to see any and all they can add; variety is the spice of life!

YUP!!!!

I voted for a couple but I agree that I would love to see variety amongst the ships.

One thing I would really like is a Southern Itin that was not so port intensive!! And having Aruba as one of the ports would be great!

... On a completely unrelated subject, I am amazed at the number of votes that St. Croix is getting. I believe Carnival may have sailed there back sometime in the 1990's, but pretty much every cruise line left in 2001 and 2002 due to the petty theft and crimes that were going on. I think Disney's announcement that they will add St. Croix to some of their itineraries now might make other lines, including Carnival look at it more closely.

Disney said they would be going back. I haven't looked at their itineraries so not sure if they're listed currently.

Royal Caribbean has St. Croix in their itineraries.

So I'm hoping you're correct and Carnival will consider going there again.

... On a completely unrelated subject, I am amazed at the number of votes that St. Croix is getting. I believe Carnival may have sailed there back sometime in the 1990's, but pretty much every cruise line left in 2001 and 2002 due to the petty theft and crimes that were going on. I think Disney's announcement that they will add St. Croix to some of their itineraries now might make other lines, including Carnival look at it more closely.

Disney said they would be going back. I haven't looked at their itineraries so not sure if they're listed currently.

You can check here for ships calling on St. Croix

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=669&date=7

st barts & st croix in the eastern

trinidad, st vincent, grenada, guadalope, martinique in the in the southern and a close as possible drive by of montserrat.

maybe a different southern route, drop out st thomas and antigua and add some of the above, as a second choice from san juan.

Would like to see Carnival come up with some round trip cruises from the west coast to Hawaii and the west coast to Alaska. Other cruise lines are able to do so (and manage to get a foreign port tucked into the itinerary to meet the intent of the law).

I agree!! We are looking at both AK and Hawaii in the future and will probably have to go off Carnival if they don't get a round trip cruise. There is one for Alaska (and I mean one), but not Hawaii. :(

Long ago I was on a RCCL cruise that went to Puerta Plata in the DR.

The island itself was beautiful, but it was a really scary place.

If you went off the dock without the protection of an approved "body guard" you would be "besieged" by beggars and who knows...

We hired a young man and walked out for about 15 minutes, turned around and went back.

A guy even offered to sell us his baby.

We acted like it was a joke.

I still wonder if it was or not...

So, yeah, I would rather go to the beach at Cozumel...

Longer south American Cruises would be nice... I hate to leave Carnival but I might have to next year. :( I want some new ports!! :D

I agree!! We are looking at both AK and Hawaii in the future and will probably have to go off Carnival if they don't get a round trip cruise. There is one for Alaska (and I mean one), but not Hawaii. :(

Those are not Carnivals market..........it is the market of their sister ships......I don't see that ever happening.....

Carnivals market is primarily shorter cruises........

You can check here for ships calling on St. Croix

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=669&date=7

Awesome website, just added it to my favorites, thanks for posting its link! :cool:

That link shows that Disney IS sailing to St. Croix. Also sailing to that port are Royal Caribbean, Azamara, and HAL.

Cuba is actually a scary place to go off resort and I don't think I would ever cruise there. Went once to an all inclusive and people in the airports were getting pick pocketed, I can't imagine what it would be like to be in one of the major cities like Havana. I would love for them to add Cancun as its one of my favorite places to go, amazing nightlife, I would hope they would have a very very late departure time. Dominican is nice, I think it would be nice to go into Punta Cana but Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata I have no desire to go there ever again.

I think Carnival should dump Freeport, I hate that port.

I would be on the first ship over, will be interesting to see what happens in the years to come

Archived