• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Hawaii Cruises

thunderbird56

Does anyone know the status of the Celebrity cruises to Hawaii out of San Diego? Is it just that Celebrity hasn't released their 2010 itineraries or are they dropping that trip. I was looking forward to scheduling that one for next February or March.

Does anyone know the status of the Celebrity cruises to Hawaii out of San Diego? Is it just that Celebrity hasn't released their 2010 itineraries or are they dropping that trip. I was looking forward to scheduling that one for next February or March.

Interesting. It appears they are dropping that run. The 2009 Hawaii sailings are actually repositioning cruises, not Hawaii "runs". And nothing for 2010.

My only guess would be they are finding it harder to fill the 2 week runs and are putting their ships in Europe, where the economy is stronger and putting them on 7 day runs.

Shame, I did the 14 day out of San Diego on Infinity in 2007. It was great.

They never used that class for Hawaii runs, too small. Always M Class.

Again, it appears for some reason, RCCL has decided to discontinue them.

:confused:

I've noticed Bermuda is popping up again (a welcome change) and Euro is the biggest marketing push. Alaska will always have a run as it's only 7 days.

Hi Thunderbird !

I recall one of our Cruise Critic Members saying that Constellation is doing one Hawaii sailing from San Diego in Mid-March 2010, though I do not see it on Celebrity's website yet.

As for other 2010/2011 Hawaii sailings, all of the new itineraries are being announced through the end of April. I would suggest calling Captains Club in a few weeks, as they may have additional information about Hawaii then. Good luck !

Hi Thunderbird !

I recall one of our Cruise Critic Members saying that Constellation is doing one Hawaii sailing from San Diego in Mid-March 2010, though I do not see it on Celebrity's website yet.

As for other 2010/2011 Hawaii sailings, all of the new itineraries are being announced through the end of April. I would suggest calling Captains Club in a few weeks, as they may have additional information about Hawaii then. Good luck !

Guess why--it is a NUDE cruise sponsored by BareEssence. Saw it through a link from a thread about group cruises.

Interesting. It appears they are dropping that run. The 2009 Hawaii sailings are actually repositioning cruises, not Hawaii "runs". And nothing for 2010.

My only guess would be they are finding it harder to fill the 2 week runs and are putting their ships in Europe, where the economy is stronger and putting them on 7 day runs.

Shame, I did the 14 day out of San Diego on Infinity in 2007. It was great.

No big deal! Both HAL & Princess do Hawaii roundtrip cruises! Always other choices!

While on the Infinity in Jan, we learned that HI does not want ships of "foreign flag" any longer. Why, given the current economic situation? It appears that some lines have contracts booked further out than others. I am not sure how accurate this info might be...just passing along what we heard directly from the future cruise consultant.

In another conversation with a Capt's Club rep. it was confirmed no future bookings with Celebrity.

They never used that class for Hawaii runs, too small. Always M Class.

Again, it appears for some reason, RCCL has decided to discontinue them.

:confused:

I've noticed Bermuda is popping up again (a welcome change) and Euro is the biggest marketing push. Alaska will always have a run as it's only 7 days.

You are mistaken. Mercury has done Hawaii previously, and as recent as last year. Not a Circle cruise, but the one-way route.

Now that everyone has given their best guesses, I will tell you the real reason.

Fuel and money, the R/T from S.D to Hawaii and back are just too expensive with the 8 days at sea and the many miles traveled even with the fuel costs going down. This run is not cost effective anymore.

This was told to me by Celebrity's executive office.

While on the Infinity in Jan, we learned that HI does not want ships of "foreign flag" any longer. Why, given the current economic situation? It appears that some lines have contracts booked further out than others. I am not sure how accurate this info might be...just passing along what we heard directly from the future cruise consultant.

In another conversation with a Capt's Club rep. it was confirmed no future bookings with Celebrity.

The info you received is not accurate, Hawaii would love to have all the foreign flag ships which are all cruise ships except the Pride of America stop in their ports. Hawaii makes 95% of their income from tourists on land and ships. The economy is killing the income of the Islands and they want every dollar they can get.

Cruise ships help the economy, the only persons on the Hawaii Islands that do not want tourist is the true "Native Hawaiians" who feel the tourists have ruined their paradise. Without the tourist on land and cruise ships there may not be any Hawaiians Islands for the "Natives"

So you figure it out. :):)

The info you received is not accurate, Hawaii would love to have all the foreign flag ships which are all cruise ships except the Pride of America stop in their ports. Hawaii makes 95% of their income from tourists on land and ships. The economy is killing the income of the Islands and they want every dollar they can get.

Cruise ships help the economy, the only persons on the Hawaii Islands that do not want tourist is the true "Native Hawaiians" who feel the tourists have ruined their paradise. Without the tourist on land and cruise ships there may not be any Hawaiians Islands for the "Natives"

So you figure it out. :):)

We were in Kona for a week last November. The lady that runs the Mac Pie Factory at the International Marketplace said that she will soon be mail order only. She told us of other merchants in the marketplace that had $0 days. The cruise ships were all that was keeping them going with tourism to Hawaii down by 20%. NCL has pulled two from the islands and it appears that Celebrity is done after spring. Even Hilo Hattie has filed for bankruptsy protection. So yes, the merchants want the cruise business.

Regards

Guess why--it is a NUDE cruise sponsored by BareEssence. Saw it through a link from a thread about group cruises.

Wow, I didnt know that. A Nude Cruise. I must have been "Behind" on this :)

That would surely explain why its not on Celebrity's website :)

Thanks for the info.

What is up with geriatricnurse posting pro HAl posts on the Celebrity boards?Are we supposed to ignore them?I haven't seen it addessed all week.Or should I call them anti Celebrity posts?Anyway we went roundtrip out of San Diego on the Mercury in November of 2008.Great trip despite missing a day due to a medical emergency.We understand Celebrity is taking a break from doing this cruise for the next year at least.Too bad...

What is up with geriatricnurse posting pro HAl posts on the Celebrity boards?Are we supposed to ignore them?I haven't seen it addessed all week.Or should I call them anti Celebrity posts?Anyway we went roundtrip out of San Diego on the Mercury in November of 2008.Great trip despite missing a day due to a medical emergency.We understand Celebrity is taking a break from doing this cruise for the next year at least.Too bad...

???

No big deal! Both HAL & Princess do Hawaii roundtrip cruises! Always other choices!

Was there a particular reason you felt it necessary to use bold (shouting) response to this post?

We've heard in Vancouver that RCI is pulling Serenade OTS next year from Alaska due to low bookings this year - so I wonder if it's also possible that Celebrity is having trouble filling all of it's West Coast itineraries as well.

Time will tell I suppose.

Wow, I didnt know that. A Nude Cruise. I must have been "Behind" on this :)

That would surely explain why its not on Celebrity's website :)

Thanks for the info.

Don't mention it. I think the sponsor is actually Bare Essentials and not Bare Essence (the cosmetics company); Bare Essentials is listed as a Vegas lingerie clothing store, etc. (Just funny thinking of the Bare Minerals people sponsoring a nude cruise :D)

Don't mention it. I think the sponsor is actually Bare Essentials and not Bare Essence (the cosmetics company); Bare Essentials is listed as a Vegas lingerie clothing store, etc. (Just funny thinking of the Bare Minerals people sponsoring a nude cruise :D)

You're both wrong. The travel agency chartering the ship is Bare Necessities. They have been chartering 3-4 ships a year for nude cruises for 20 years.

Was there a particular reason you felt it necessary to use bold (shouting) response to this post?

We've heard in Vancouver that RCI is pulling Serenade OTS next year from Alaska due to low bookings this year - so I wonder if it's also possible that Celebrity is having trouble filling all of it's West Coast itineraries as well.

Time will tell I suppose.

I think that's the reason as well. I also think perhaps some elderly people, like my dad :rolleyes:SHOUT AND USE LARGE FONTS because they can't read easily otherwise.

Archived