Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4luv2cruise

The Shrimp Factory

Househunter,

Just returned from the Carnival Splendor 7-night cruise yesterday, and during our day in Cabo this past Friday, I made it a point to take the family and our good friends traveling with us to two of your recommendations from this board.

We had breakfast at Mama's Royal Cafe. I had the lobster benedict which was very, very good....but I have to tell ya', both of my daughters ordered the stuffed french toast and once I had a taste from their plates...wow, best I've ever had.

Later that day, made our way over to Gordo Leles. 'Exactly' my kind of place....off the beaten path, hole in the wall, lots of character and charm, loved the Beatles and Elvis posters....plus incredible tacos for 15 pesos a piece. Had the carne asada and the chorizo versions.....very, very good. No question I will be back to Gordo Leles next time in Cabo. The proprietor apologized that he was a bit hoarse and could not sing, but within a few minutes, he put on his Beatles wig and gave a song his best shot.

Thanks again for your insights!

ibspy

What day were you in Cabo? We just got back Saturday from a 10 day trip! I am so glad you enjoyed 2 of my very favorite places and that Javier was able to try to sing, even with his sore throut. I had 20 people there for a party on the night of the 25th and we kept him very busy cooking and singing. Yum, I wish I had one of those tacos now!:)

Oh, I just re-read your post and you were there on Friday, the day after our big party. Sorry we worked him so hard that he was hoarse!!!! And I am just looking at my note, we were at Mamas for breakfast on Friday too! We were sitting out on the patio. Were you at a table with 2 cute teenage daughters outside? If so, we were sitting right behind you~!

What day were you in Cabo? We just got back Saturday from a 10 day trip! I am so glad you enjoyed 2 of my very favorite places and that Javier was able to try to sing, even with his sore throut. I had 20 people there for a party on the night of the 25th and we kept him very busy cooking and singing. Yum, I wish I had one of those tacos now!:)

Oh, I just re-read your post and you were there on Friday, the day after our big party. Sorry we worked him so hard that he was hoarse!!!! And I am just looking at my note, we were at Mamas for breakfast on Friday too! We were sitting out on the patio. Were you at a table with 2 cute teenage daughters outside? If so, we were sitting right behind you~!

Househunter,

That is so funny.....For breakfast, it was my wife and I, plus our daughters and son on the patio....our friends joined us later at Gordo Leles! The patio definitely filled up during our time there at breakfast. Those two stops were the highlight of 'my' day, since I'm not a shopper like the ladies in my family.

Thank you so much for the tips!

ibspy

Question - Does the owner of Gordo Leles speak any english? As i dont speak much spanish at all. Other then hi, bye and 2 beers please.

Just curious plan on being there one week from today.

He doesn't speak much but enough to understand what you are ordering. There are only about 5 things on the menu plus beer and margaritas. He didn't even have menus at all until one of our trip advisor membersd made some up and took them down for him.

dos carne asada tacos y dos cervasas is about all you need to know!:)

Can I add my favorite? Oh good, because I am anyway!

The best fish tacos, smoked marlin tacos, and shrimp tacos in my humble opinion is Los Claros. Walk around the marina sidewalk, where the sidewalk comes to the street in between UltraFem and Plaza Bonita (where Burger King and Hard Rock are) you need to cross the street, walk to corner and cross going up/against traffic on the street coming down - Zaragoza. It will be one block up on your right. FAB and cheap. Big salad type bar with many salsas, veggies, chilies you can put on them. Each taco about $1.50US. They also have quasadillas with the same stuff. They do have other items but those 3 are my fav. Super clean place, family owned and run. Menu with pictures and they do speak English.

Yum! Sounds good! I have put it on my list for October. We are there for 2 weeks this time so we will hopefully have time to try everything that we want to.

Yum! Sounds good! I have put it on my list for October. We are there for 2 weeks this time so we will hopefully have time to try everything that we want to.

Oh wow...2 weeks? That is alot of time for good eatin'! Here are some more suggestions you may or may not know about.

As you know from being in Cabo so much, there are alot of touristy types places that have ok/good food but EXPENSIVE prices for what you get - example I just went a restaurant on Hildalgo and had lobster fajitas. There were 5 tiny pieces of lobster (I counted) and the rest was about half a pound of onions. It was only enough to make one small taco. And the cost was 280 pesos with a local discount! Good taste...yes, worth it...NO WAY! Went to another restaurant for dinner on my birthday that is further up Hildalgo and is always packed with tourists. Thinking that was a good sign, I went. Super slow service, the rice was so salty I could not eat, the vegetables inside the enchiladas were stone cold but they did have some great tortillas...cost for dinner, 1 lemonade and no dessert...465 pesos!

As a normal, non-vacationing, working person who loves good food at reasonable prices, all of the places I list below are very affordable for me with one exception. I have also listed them as a breakfast, lunch or dinner place to help you out. And all them are places you can go and order without knowing a ton of spanish and can also be assured the food will be safe :) I am not a conceriege that gets a kickback from these places, I don't own a share in any of them...these are just some of my fav places.

Breakfast

Mary Chuy Birria...this is an outdoor, tent place in a dirt lot that has amazing birria. It is located back about 10 blocks from the marina but easy to find. It is on the corner of Matamoras and Felix Ortega. If you come up Morelos go through the 4 way stop stop at Juventud and turn left on Ortega. Or come up Hildalgo and turn right on Ortega. I like the crispy birria tacos with cheese (dorado style) - this is the only place around that serves them. They have both res and chiva birria most of the time. They also serve menudo (with or without pancita/stomach) but I have never been a fan - mexican locals rave about it though - again, they serve it blanco/white style which is unusual for Cabo. Tacos are about 15 pesos. 2-2.5 tacos fill me up. Bowls of birria/menudo about 30 pesos. I like it better than the tiny corner birria place downtown El Terminal where you sit a stool on the sidewalk. Closed on Mondays. Open about 7-10:00 most days, later on Sunday. ZERO tourists!

Cafe Canela...this is one of the few places on the marina that I can eat at regularly and still pay my rent! It is tucked in next to Wambongo (next to Solomans Landing) and has a large coffee cup outside above the entry stairs. Everything I have tried has been good and plentiful...love the migas, huevos mexicanos and omelettes. All served with this delicious homemade bread as well as tortillas. All about 35-50 pesos. Some tourists, some locals. They serve lunch and dinner too but I only like the breakfast items.

Villa Serena... not an everyday place but a nice treat 2x a month. Located on the corridor road heading towards San Jose basically off the sideroad just past Home Depot but on the right. Turn right at the sign and follow the dirt road back to the restaurant. Killer view of the water, can see alot of whales during the winter and super yum food. The chiliquilles are great - both with green or red sauce! Great coffee too. Prices about 60-75 pesos. Some tourists early in morning, all locals later especially on Sundays.

Lunch

El Torito...hands down the best seafood in Cabo. SUPER fresh seafood. Most taxi drivers will know where it is because they eat there but tell them Mariscos El Torito on Calle Janet Wilson and Calle Felix Ortega. Not a fancy place at all...lots of plastic tables and chairs under thatched roof. Menu has pictures and some of the waitstaff can speak alittle english. Best items in my opinion: large stuffed baked clams/almejas relleno (cheese, veggies and clam mixed together in large foil wrapped clams in shell and grilled) about 20 pesos each, crab claws (the large ones not the small ones) 55 pesos, whole fried fish 85 pesos, Sierra tostado (type of fish) 15 pesos...all of this could easily feed a group of 4-6! I usually order 1 Sierra tostado and 1 clam... enough to fill me up for about 50 pesos including a limonada. Good for an early to late afternoon lunch. Just a warning to those who love ceviche ... everyone here makes it Mazatlan style where they use cucumber in it and some even catshup...way different than the caribbean! They do serve beer. Occasional tourists...many on the board know about but too far out for the regular tourist to ever find or hear about. Packed late Saturday and Sundays afternoons with mexican locals. Closes at 7pm.

Arts and Sushi...open for both lunch and dinner. Kinda expensive (rolls about 150-180 pesos) but by far the best I have had anywhere in the world so good for 1-2x month. On the marina in Plaza Bonita right by the boat ramp beside the mall. My favs: huracane roll, no name roll, volcano roll, and marlin sashimi with serano peppers. One roll and sashimi good for oen person. Opens most days at 11:00. Full bar. But the lemonade made with mineral water is great. Some tourists during day because of location but many locals as well.

Mesa Poblano...good mexican food but no bean burritos here...all regional style cooking from Puebla area. Located on calle Ninos Heroes (one way going to the right - which is the street that runs behind El Squid Roe and Arambaro Grocery) on the corner before Zaragoza (one way going towards Marina blvd). They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I only like the stuff at lunch. They have a menu with more traditional sounding items but what I like best are the lunch specials or comida casera that changes daily. Chicken breast with chipotle cream sauce, meatballs in salsa verde, rajas in cream sauce (pablano chili pieces with corn, cream and cheese) are a couple of my fav items but not available each day, variety changes. Lunch specials include fresh water melon, horchata, etc (my fav is Jamaica is made from red hybiscus flower, dried, brewed in boiling water and chilled). All about 50-60 pesos. Not a tourist spot.

Dinner

Taquiera Marissa...my choice for the second best arrachera tacos in Cabo...the first being at my house. This is a small place that opens at about 6:30 and stays open til about 11:00 most nights. I forget which night they are closed...Tuesday? It is located on calle 20 de Noviembre between Hildalgo (one way away from town) and Matamoras (one way towards town). Across the street is the large school Secundaria Moises that takes up a whole block. So depending on when you go since the school lets out at 8:30pm parking is usually easier if you park on Hildalgo on the right hand side next to the school just before you get to 20 de Noviembre and then just walk around the corner to your right and Marissa is across the street on left. If on weekend or during school vacation time you can find a spot in front of Marissa usually. The tacos, vampiros (crispy tostada with cheese), beans and the potatoes all are arrachera - no other choice...just wonderful grilled arrachara. My fav is a bowl of beans (cheese and arrachera mixed in) with a couple of tacos (on small corn tortillas) - they will ask flour or corn tortillas and if corn - small or large size. Cost of special beans and 2 tacos is about 50 pesos. The stuffed potatoes loaded with meat and cheese is the most expensive item at 70 pesos but is BIG. They only have soft drinks and bottled water. But they have a large selection of stuff to put on everything with 6-7 salsas, guacamole, sauted and raw onions, many types of chiles, cucumbers (great with fresh lime squeezed on and eaten like chips on the side), shredded cabbage, etc. Totally mexican locals.

Alcaravea...means party or fiesta in Spain spanish. Dynamite Italian food! I always call this the Italian parking lot place because I can never remember the name. It is located on corner of Zaragoza and 16 de Septembre on left almost across from Los Claros. Don't let the looks fool you...very simple setup with just a few tables but some of the best Italian food (see my other fav below). The chef/owner is from Mx City and he can cook. Unique kind of menu with selection of starters and entrees. My fav starter is the pasta with white sauce if I get caprese salad for entree. Or green salad if I get the chicken breast with white pasta for entree (large enough for 2 meals for me). Sometimes I just go and ask the chef to surprize me with a choice...last time I did that I had medallions of veal with pasta side that melted in my mouth. Prices range from 75-150 pesos for your whole meal. They serve limited alcoholic beverages (beer and vino) but you can also bring your own and they will open for you! Not a tourist spot but some non-mexican and mexican locals.

Capo San Giovanni ...this is my spurge place! Right across from the entrance of Cabo Wabo on calle Vicente Guerrero. The prices are higher than Alcaravea so I don't go more than 3-4X a year. They do have valet parking because parking is impossible in that area. The veal is heavenly, as are all the pastas, the lasagna, and the salads. Great wine list. I prefer to sit in the back on the outdoor patio area but it fills up quickly so this is the only place I make reservations to insure an outdoor table. I have sat inside but doesn't have same atmosphere although the owner/chef comes over and talks to the tables inside as he cooks. Prices for entrees run from about 160-350 pesos. So a meal for 2 can get pricey with starter, entree, dessert, and adult beverages. But oh so occasionally worth it. Very few tourists (most seem to go to La Dolce or Romeo & Juliets or Galeon or Salvatorre's which are ok) but many locals with mucho $$$$$ frequent.

So hope you enjoy - PROVECHO!

Oh wow...2 weeks? That is alot of time for good eatin'! Here are some more suggestions you may or may not know about.

As you know from being in Cabo so much, there are alot of touristy types places that have ok/good food but EXPENSIVE prices for what you get - example I just went a restaurant on Hildalgo and had lobster fajitas. There were 5 tiny pieces of lobster (I counted) and the rest was about half a pound of onions. It was only enough to make one small taco. And the cost was 280 pesos with a local discount! Good taste...yes, worth it...NO WAY! Went to another restaurant for dinner on my birthday that is further up Hildalgo and is always packed with tourists. Thinking that was a good sign, I went. Super slow service, the rice was so salty I could not eat, the vegetables inside the enchiladas were stone cold but they did have some great tortillas...cost for dinner, 1 lemonade and no dessert...465 pesos!

As a normal, non-vacationing, working person who loves good food at reasonable prices, all of the places I list below are very affordable for me with one exception. I have also listed them as a breakfast, lunch or dinner place to help you out. And all them are places you can go and order without knowing a ton of spanish and can also be assured the food will be safe :) I am not a conceriege that gets a kickback from these places, I don't own a share in any of them...these are just some of my fav places.

Breakfast

Mary Chuy Birria...this is an outdoor, tent place in a dirt lot that has amazing birria. It is located back about 10 blocks from the marina but easy to find. It is on the corner of Matamoras and Felix Ortega. If you come up Morelos go through the 4 way stop stop at Juventud and turn left on Ortega. Or come up Hildalgo and turn right on Ortega. I like the crispy birria tacos with cheese (dorado style) - this is the only place around that serves them. They have both res and chiva birria most of the time. They also serve menudo (with or without pancita/stomach) but I have never been a fan - mexican locals rave about it though - again, they serve it blanco/white style which is unusual for Cabo. Tacos are about 15 pesos. 2-2.5 tacos fill me up. Bowls of birria/menudo about 30 pesos. I like it better than the tiny corner birria place downtown El Terminal where you sit a stool on the sidewalk. Closed on Mondays. Open about 7-10:00 most days, later on Sunday. ZERO tourists!

Cafe Canela...this is one of the few places on the marina that I can eat at regularly and still pay my rent! It is tucked in next to Wambongo (next to Solomans Landing) and has a large coffee cup outside above the entry stairs. Everything I have tried has been good and plentiful...love the migas, huevos mexicanos and omelettes. All served with this delicious homemade bread as well as tortillas. All about 35-50 pesos. Some tourists, some locals. They serve lunch and dinner too but I only like the breakfast items.

Villa Serena... not an everyday place but a nice treat 2x a month. Located on the corridor road heading towards San Jose basically off the sideroad just past Home Depot but on the right. Turn right at the sign and follow the dirt road back to the restaurant. Killer view of the water, can see alot of whales during the winter and super yum food. The chiliquilles are great - both with green or red sauce! Great coffee too. Prices about 60-75 pesos. Some tourists early in morning, all locals later especially on Sundays.

Lunch

El Torito...hands down the best seafood in Cabo. SUPER fresh seafood. Most taxi drivers will know where it is because they eat there but tell them Mariscos El Torito on Calle Janet Wilson and Calle Felix Ortega. Not a fancy place at all...lots of plastic tables and chairs under thatched roof. Menu has pictures and some of the waitstaff can speak alittle english. Best items in my opinion: large stuffed baked clams/almejas relleno (cheese, veggies and clam mixed together in large foil wrapped clams in shell and grilled) about 20 pesos each, crab claws (the large ones not the small ones) 55 pesos, whole fried fish 85 pesos, Sierra tostado (type of fish) 15 pesos...all of this could easily feed a group of 4-6! I usually order 1 Sierra tostado and 1 clam... enough to fill me up for about 50 pesos including a limonada. Good for an early to late afternoon lunch. Just a warning to those who love ceviche ... everyone here makes it Mazatlan style where they use cucumber in it and some even catshup...way different than the caribbean! They do serve beer. Occasional tourists...many on the board know about but too far out for the regular tourist to ever find or hear about. Packed late Saturday and Sundays afternoons with mexican locals. Closes at 7pm.

Arts and Sushi...open for both lunch and dinner. Kinda expensive (rolls about 150-180 pesos) but by far the best I have had anywhere in the world so good for 1-2x month. On the marina in Plaza Bonita right by the boat ramp beside the mall. My favs: huracane roll, no name roll, volcano roll, and marlin sashimi with serano peppers. One roll and sashimi good for oen person. Opens most days at 11:00. Full bar. But the lemonade made with mineral water is great. Some tourists during day because of location but many locals as well.

Mesa Poblano...good mexican food but no bean burritos here...all regional style cooking from Puebla area. Located on calle Ninos Heroes (one way going to the right - which is the street that runs behind El Squid Roe and Arambaro Grocery) on the corner before Zaragoza (one way going towards Marina blvd). They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I only like the stuff at lunch. They have a menu with more traditional sounding items but what I like best are the lunch specials or comida casera that changes daily. Chicken breast with chipotle cream sauce, meatballs in salsa verde, rajas in cream sauce (pablano chili pieces with corn, cream and cheese) are a couple of my fav items but not available each day, variety changes. Lunch specials include fresh water melon, horchata, etc (my fav is Jamaica is made from red hybiscus flower, dried, brewed in boiling water and chilled). All about 50-60 pesos. Not a tourist spot.

Dinner

Taquiera Marissa...my choice for the second best arrachera tacos in Cabo...the first being at my house. This is a small place that opens at about 6:30 and stays open til about 11:00 most nights. I forget which night they are closed...Tuesday? It is located on calle 20 de Noviembre between Hildalgo (one way away from town) and Matamoras (one way towards town). Across the street is the large school Secundaria Moises that takes up a whole block. So depending on when you go since the school lets out at 8:30pm parking is usually easier if you park on Hildalgo on the right hand side next to the school just before you get to 20 de Noviembre and then just walk around the corner to your right and Marissa is across the street on left. If on weekend or during school vacation time you can find a spot in front of Marissa usually. The tacos, vampiros (crispy tostada with cheese), beans and the potatoes all are arrachera - no other choice...just wonderful grilled arrachara. My fav is a bowl of beans (cheese and arrachera mixed in) with a couple of tacos (on small corn tortillas) - they will ask flour or corn tortillas and if corn - small or large size. Cost of special beans and 2 tacos is about 50 pesos. The stuffed potatoes loaded with meat and cheese is the most expensive item at 70 pesos but is BIG. They only have soft drinks and bottled water. But they have a large selection of stuff to put on everything with 6-7 salsas, guacamole, sauted and raw onions, many types of chiles, cucumbers (great with fresh lime squeezed on and eaten like chips on the side), shredded cabbage, etc. Totally mexican locals.

Alcaravea...means party or fiesta in Spain spanish. Dynamite Italian food! I always call this the Italian parking lot place because I can never remember the name. It is located on corner of Zaragoza and 16 de Septembre on left almost across from Los Claros. Don't let the looks fool you...very simple setup with just a few tables but some of the best Italian food (see my other fav below). The chef/owner is from Mx City and he can cook. Unique kind of menu with selection of starters and entrees. My fav starter is the pasta with white sauce if I get caprese salad for entree. Or green salad if I get the chicken breast with white pasta for entree (large enough for 2 meals for me). Sometimes I just go and ask the chef to surprize me with a choice...last time I did that I had medallions of veal with pasta side that melted in my mouth. Prices range from 75-150 pesos for your whole meal. They serve limited alcoholic beverages (beer and vino) but you can also bring your own and they will open for you! Not a tourist spot but some non-mexican and mexican locals.

Capo San Giovanni ...this is my spurge place! Right across from the entrance of Cabo Wabo on calle Vicente Guerrero. The prices are higher than Alcaravea so I don't go more than 3-4X a year. They do have valet parking because parking is impossible in that area. The veal is heavenly, as are all the pastas, the lasagna, and the salads. Great wine list. I prefer to sit in the back on the outdoor patio area but it fills up quickly so this is the only place I make reservations to insure an outdoor table. I have sat inside but doesn't have same atmosphere although the owner/chef comes over and talks to the tables inside as he cooks. Prices for entrees run from about 160-350 pesos. So a meal for 2 can get pricey with starter, entree, dessert, and adult beverages. But oh so occasionally worth it. Very few tourists (most seem to go to La Dolce or Romeo & Juliets or Galeon or Salvatorre's which are ok) but many locals with mucho $$$$$ frequent.

So hope you enjoy - PROVECHO!

Thanks! We have been to only a few of these so I will see which new ones we can try in October. I am not a fan of Art and Sushi. For just a bit more money, i think Nik San is much better. For great prices and good (not great) sushi, the Tiki Bar offers 2x1 from 4-8pm. Also their drink prices are really, really good. They also have big, awesome hamburgers for about $4! Located on the marina, next to Baja Cantina.

Thanks! We have been to only a few of these so I will see which new ones we can try in October. I am not a fan of Art and Sushi. For just a bit more money, i think Nik San is much better. For great prices and good (not great) sushi, the Tiki Bar offers 2x1 from 4-8pm. Also their drink prices are really, really good. They also have big, awesome hamburgers for about $4! Located on the marina, next to Baja Cantina.

After 2 attempts with their sushi, I am not a big fan of Tiki Bar's ... I will just leave it at that. But their drinks are tasty! I like Nic-San too but their prices are so high compared to Arts and Sushi. If I close my eyes, I could not tell the difference. I have tried both Nic-San locations and I do like the one at Palmilla better. The atmosphere at Nic-San is alot better - A&S seems blah compared.

Another good place for burgers, if you are adventurous, is Mirimar Burger (not sure what the real name is but this is what I have always called it). If you head out to the Mirimar neighborhood, it is on the left across from the OXXO (pronounced here as Ox Oh) convenience store. Their burgers are huge, thick and 45 pesos with bacon and cheese. You can also get pineapple and ham on it if you want. You sit outside in their parking lot at plastic tables - not real classy but real good food. Or the ones at Tanga Tanga are pretty good too at 40 pesos with barbq sauce, bacon and cheese but a skinny meat patty.

I forgot about steak places! La Pampa is #1 choice with Patagonia a close #2. I don't like Brasil which is next to Salvatorre's. La Pampa is across from Hotel Tesoro on Marina Blvd. Patagonia is on 20 de Septiembre off Matamoras. La Pampa does open at lunch time as well as night but Patagonia only at night. Atmosphere at La Pampa abit fancier and prices abit higher than Patagonia (Rib Eye about 160 pesos at La Pampa verses about 120 at Patagonia). La Pampa moved down a few doors to their new location about 6 months ago. I don't like the lamb at Patagonia.

Now I am hungry.....

Thanks to this thread my friends now think I'm the best tour guide ever! We had a great two days in Cabo this week, with excellent food. After some great kayaking and swimming we headed to The Good Time bar. Found it easily, but silly me didn't understand the 3x1 reference on the sign! Let's just say he served up 3 margaritas (well 4 actually) instead of the one we ordered, at a very reasonable price. The taco place nearby was closed--road construction made the area a mess--so we were forced to try Gordo Lele's. As I said, I'm now a legend with my friends. The best fish taco I've ever had, though very different from traditional fish tacos. And the entertainment was priceless. The next day we stumbled across Gardenias, and another excellent lunch was had.

Thanks you guys, you make a girl look good!

Good job on finding the Good Times Bar! 3 of those HUGE margaritas is a true bargain at $10- did you watch what he puts in those things! Also Gordo Leles, another hard to find spot- you were a great tour guide!:)

Not only did we watch what he put in them, we bought his 'secret ingredient' as a souvenir! I only wish Caro C had posted earlier so we could try those places. Next time....

Thanks househunter. I've gone through 10 pages of posts and this is exactly what I was looking for! I can't wait to try everything.

Would the secret ingredient by Damiana?