• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Miami airport to the port of miami

Norwegian Sky

I will arrive in miami at 3:10 pm on a Friday. The ship leaves at 5pm the same day. Will i have enough time? I will not check baggage but my concerns are (1) Flight delay (i know i have little control over) (2) traffic from the airport to the port.

I'm thinking of changing my flight, but the other flights are really expense or have connections.

Should i be concerned about the traffic from the airport to the port? Also will there be taxi's already lined up and ready at the airport or will i have to call taxi service when i get there.

Thanks!!!

Wow that's really cutting it close. I would consider an earlier flight. Or, better, yet, fly in the day before (that's what we always do). If your current flight is late even a little, you're going to have a tough time. From airport to sea port is about 20 minutes (without traffic backups). But, by the time you get off the plane, hurry out to the street and hail a cab, get to the port, you might make it. They ask that you arrive at least an hour before it sails. The chances of you getting there at 4:00 are slim. Don't get me wrong; if you arrive at 4:30 you won't be denied boarding. But, they will have already started packing up.

It can take a good 20-30 minutes to get from the airport to the port. You have to go through downtown to get to the port and I don't think I would want to do that on a Friday late afternoon. I would highly suggest coming in the day before, this way you can come in at any time.

I don't know what the cut off time is. But boarding is stopped something like and hour before sailing so that the manifest can be turned over to Homeland Security.

If you land at 3:10 and race to get a cab it's still going to be 3:30 as you are pulling away from the curb. 20 minute cab ride if there are no problems gets you in front of the pier at 3:50. If the ship is scheduled to depart at 4:00 you have a whole 10 minutes to spare.:eek:

We "go the day before" people whenever it's at all possible. The few times we have flown the day of departure it has just been nerve wracking even though we've been on the first flight out in the morning.

JMHO, I'd make other arrangements.

Charlie

I will arrive in miami at 3:10 pm on a Friday. The ship leaves at 5pm the same day. Will i have enough time? I will not check baggage but my concerns are (1) Flight delay (i know i have little control over) (2) traffic from the airport to the port.

I'm thinking of changing my flight, but the other flights are really expense or have connections.

Should i be concerned about the traffic from the airport to the port? Also will there be taxi's already lined up and ready at the airport or will i have to call taxi service when i get there.

Thanks!!!

NCL Q & A...

Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:

For your comfort and convenience, we recommend that guests who have not completed their Online Check-In arrive at the cruise terminal no later than two (2) hours prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. Guests who have completed their Online Check-In should arrive at the terminal no later than one (1) hour prior to the scheduled embarkation time printed on your cruise documents. We STRONGLY recommend guests complete their Online Check-In at least four (4) days prior to sailing. Final Boarding Time:

In order to facilitate the embarkation process and the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete Online Check-In at least one day prior to sailing and must complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail. Please note guests who have not filled out their Online Check-In must arrive at port two (2) hours prior to sailing. Any late arriving guest may join the ship at an approved port of call in the scheduled itinerary. Such guest will be responsible for all applicable fees and travel expenses to that subsequent port of call.

You have to change that flight b/c you won't make your cruise. You have to be on board minutes after your plane lands. It will take you at least an hour to deplane, get your stuff & get through Friday afternoon traffic. You'll never make it.

If the flight is even the slightest bit delayed. . . OMG! :eek:

YIKES! Not my way to begin a vacation!:eek: And if you miss the ship, know that you will pay for the air to get you to the first port of call. Will cost you much more than a higher fare from home.

Getting a taxi won't be a problem - they line up outside baggage claim doors. Your problem is if your flight or car trip are delayed at all... SOL. I agree with a previous poster that this is not the way I like to start my vacation. What is the cost if you miss your cruise to fly to the first port vs. flying earlier? Fly in the day before (even if it's every late) and taxi to an airport hotel (I suggest Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon). Then taxi or shuttle to the port the next day.

Please consider flying in the day before if possible. My bf went on a cruise, and their flight got in 4 hours before the boat left. However, they were unable to open the luggage compartment on the airplane, so no one on the plane could get their baggage. They didn't have any bags for 2 days until they were able to catch the bags up with the ship at the next port. Even though you say you'll carry on, I'm just pointing out that crazy things can go wrong that are out of your control. :eek:

At the very least, fly in as early in the day as possible. It's fun to get to the ship as early as possible. You should be able to get on your ship around 11, even if it says get there around 2, and you can get lunch and get a feel for the ship before you set sail.

Good luck!

Archived