Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bateau

Randi's on Stone island

Do you have to prebook this tour or can you just go to stone island and book a horseback ride that day.

Randi's tour is very popular and usually sold out. You may get lucky and there be "no shows" but I would not count on it.

Just got back from Randi's - If you want to try - go to Stone Island and meet up with Randi at Victors. She has a walkie talkie to her guides and can set up a ride from there. You have to wait til the first ride ends. I wouldn't count on it but she says it happens and she accomodates. Those who miss her at the dock have caught up with her at vicotrs.

You can alos meet up with her at the dock - be there around 8:15 - look for her Pink sign.

The nice thing about booking in advance is that she will meet you at the docks and take care of getting you back/forth to Stone Island (she uses a different water taxi area than the one most cruise people use). When you get bombarded by the time share people as you get off the ship, as soon as you say you're w/ Randi, they leave you alone. When you book w/ her direct, on-line, she doesn't take a deposit (or didn't with us), but I would hope that no one takes advantage of this by being a no show. If you are pretty sure you want to ride w/ her, my advise would be book now, and give her reasonable notice if you change your mind and don't want to ride w/ her after all.

I'm an experienced rider, my husband has basically no horse experience, and our daughter has a little experience ... we all had a good time (and my husband had been kind of skeptical and not much into doing it when I booked it). It's nice, relaxed, on well trained horses that you get to ride at your own pace. After the ride she buys the first drink at Victor's and allows time for you to order addtl drinks/food or just relax on the beach.

She has a new dog (someone ran over her last one - she was very upset), she'd probably be please by having someone take some dog treats :-) also heard she likes red locorice (I think that's it).

Oh, we rode with her a couple of years ago. Her dog was so cute and smart. What a shame. Randi is a hoot, quite a character. Please try and book in advance. You can email her at her website and she gets back to you pretty fast. Glad to hear she is feeling better! LPT:)

You can alos meet up with her at the dock - be there around 8:15 - look for her Pink sign.

Unless you are on the Pride which ports at 9:00am. :) Randi always waits for everyone to arrive, or about 1/2 hour from when the ship starts letting people off whichever comes first. Depending on the day, she may or may not have room. My favorite excursion (4 times now and booked again for November!)

I have a reservation with Randi in April when we get off of the Mariner. Is the pink sign easy to find?

I have a reservation with Randi in April when we get off of the Mariner. Iher pink sign easy to find?

I have a reservation with Randi in April when we get off of the Mariner. Is the pink sign easy to find?

As soon as you get off the tram you will see the "pink sign". If by chance you miss it, walk through the shop to the courtyard and the first set of tables is where Randi will be waiting. Have a great time.

When you book w/ her direct, on-line, she doesn't take a deposit (or didn't with us), but I would hope that no one takes advantage of this by being a no show.

We just booked last week for March 24 and she was so nice in her email! As a single mom, who never has enough $$, I was soooooo excited that she let us book without payment!! She asks that you bring small bills to pay (NO CREDIT/DEBIT). I can't wait to meet her and her 4 legged friends!

We went on Randis in mid Feb. We waited to that day to go and had no trouble getting in for the tour. I would of booked ahead of time, but I was not sure that my doctor would clear me to ride horses due to neck surgery. Luckily he did the week before we went. Had a really good time

Do you have to prebook this tour or can you just go to stone island and book a horseback ride that day.

Can anyone tell me how to get Randi's email address? I would like to book with her in June

Can anyone tell me how to get Randi's email address? I would like to book with her in June

If you go on her website all the info is there. www.randishappyhorses.com

I am going in April and am excited.

how long is the actual horse ride?

Not sure but Randi just replied to my email I sent this morning and we are booked in June! She said they will pick us up at 8:30am and have us back to the terminal by 2:00pm. Thanks to all on this thread who recommended her!

Then length of the ride greatly depends on the riders of the day. There is more than one guide, so some people don't go as far as others and go back with a guide - while the rest ride longer with Tony and/or Daniel. You will definitely get a long enough ride.

There is always a guide with each "pack" of riders. Whenever we have gone on the ride - the group will break out into slow groups and faster groups... but no need to worry about being left behind or without help. Always someone nearby to make you very comfortable. :)

how long is the actual horse ride?

We rode with her group on March 25. Our ride was at least 1 1/4 hours, plenty long enough for most of us.

We rode with her group on March 25. Our ride was at least 1 1/4 hours, plenty long enough for most of us.

We were there riding the day before you. My butt says it was PLENTY long of a ride!!!! I had a horse that wasn't into galloping...only trotting...ouch!!!! It was a fun day and the food was fantastic afterwards at Victors. Randi is a fun lady and Tony was outstanding as was his sister. I am glad I booked this tour as we all enjoyed it and I was much more comfortable being with Randi who could translate and keep an eye out for us.

We were there riding the day before you. My butt says it was PLENTY long of a ride!!!! I had a horse that wasn't into galloping...only trotting...ouch!!!! It was a fun day and the food was fantastic afterwards at Victors. Randi is a fun lady and Tony was outstanding as was his sister. I am glad I booked this tour as we all enjoyed it and I was much more comfortable being with Randi who could translate and keep an eye out for us.

Pretty much the same experience for us too, except I had a horse who just HAD to be FIRST. Any time another horse passed him, he'd just speed up until he was first again. Yep, we galloped plenty.

I've been busy (ended up needing to reschedule our Alaska cruise from Sept to May, so had to jump and focus on scheduling air, hotels, and excurisions for that trip ... decided to pop back over and see how thing were going on the Mex Riviera :)

Gina, I forgot you were considering riding w/ Randi's Happy Horses, glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as we did ... Randi is part of the experience.

In fact, I'd posted somewhere about her dog and that she'd probably appreciate if someone took treats for her dog (there was a thread where people were talking about Randi enjoying red licorice) ... apparently someone caught my note about dog treats and took doggie treats over ... Randi sent me a nice note telling me that a recent rider/visiter had brought Bonita (her dog) some really nice doggie treats ... that it was a first, and appreciated ... she says Bonita sends a BOW WOW thanks :D

Surprised to hear your horse didn't want to gallop, even my husband who is very inexperienced, got his horse to gallop which surprised me :p I noticed you'd commented it was really hot in PV, was it hot in Maz too?

BigDaddy, our ride was more like 1 1/2-2 hrs, and afterwards she allowed plenty of time for us to relax on the beach and/or eat/drink at Victor's. My husband was very skeptical about this ride, and afraid he'd be sore, but he enjoyed the ride and wasn't sore at all. The next day we did a totally different, and very physical activity (the Outdoor Adventure in PV) and none of us were sore from the horse ride.

~Denise

We had wanted to book with Randi when we are in Mazatlan next January. The only problem is that we have one in our group that won't be riding because he is blind. Is there a way for him to follow along with us and meet up with us at Victor's? I will probably elect to follow along with him if that's possible because I don't do well with horses.

We had wanted to book with Randi when we are in Mazatlan next January. The only problem is that we have one in our group that won't be riding because he is blind. Is there a way for him to follow along with us and meet up with us at Victor's? I will probably elect to follow along with him if that's possible because I don't do well with horses.

I would check directly w/ Randi ... she's very good about getting back to you via email (although I think her internet sometimes has problems, so give her 2-3 days). If you can't tag along as non-riders, it's easy to get to Stone Island and meet up with the riding group at Victor's (lots of threads w/ good directions on how to get there if you use the search). There might even be a way to do what's called ponying for the blind person in your group (it's where their horse is led by another rider ... and I think that's what they do w/ very young riders too). I've been riding for about 40 years now, and I thought her horses were very well trained, and well behaved. My husband doesn't tend to do well w/ horses either, but he had a good time, and a big smile on his face throughout the ride ... even though he'd tried to get out of going prior to our cruise.

If anyone in your party doesn't want to ride, they can pay Randi a reduced rate that is just for transportation. They go directly to Victor's and she hangs out with them while everyone else rides. Not a problem...

I booked a tour with Randi in May. I am glad to hear the good reviews. I'll pick up some doggie treats.

Questions.. I read the coconut and garlic shrimp at Victor's were to die for. Anyone try them? Were they good? What was the price of a meal and what do you get?

PJ