• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival cruises v other lines

nannylynn

We cruise a lot. Have been on carnival, but not for years. We are 66 and 69 years old. I see all these great prices from carnival. I know I would not go on there older ships. If you have been on carnival recently would you recommend Carnival. We are not fancy people. Just want a nice ship with good entertainment. I know the food is not really great on any line. any information would be appreciated.

Go for the Spirit Class or the ships built just after the Spirit class. We've been on the Legend twice (and for New Year's Eve cruise we were on two years ago, Bob Dickerson and his family were also aboard. He just retired as the CEO and president of Carnival Cruise Lines and chose the Legend!). We enjoyed the Legend. Also enjoyed both the Glory and the Valor which are even newer ships. Carnival has changed for the better since our 1st Carnival cruise many years ago on the now old ships. You'll enjoy which ever ship you go on. And the pool and hot tub in the very back is for adults only and has a roof that closes every night!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with their "older" ships.

Just depends on what you want.

I happen to love the Fantasy class ships. I don't need a supper club. I don't need to sail with 3,000+ people.

I "need" to sail as often as I can, and too often that means I can't take 7-day cruises because of work obligations.

I sailed Fascination out of Jacksonville in December. I drove, spent the night before at the Holiday Inn Airport, used their park-and-cruise package so I left the car there, went to my favorite port, Half Moon Cay, had 2 sea days, all for about $50 pp/per day.

Sorry, but I just cannot find one single thing wrong with that!

Love the layout of the Spirit class. Not as crazy about the jumbo ships, although enjoyed Glory.

You can do as much or as little as you like. I don't hang around the main pool, so I've never witnessed a Hairy Chest competition. Lots of people enjoy the "activities."

I cruise to get to beautiful ports. I use sea days to relax. I think Carnival has very good food, friendly crews, comfortable cabins, and very good prices.

I'm not a balcony snob. Cruising more often is much more important to me than the type of cabin I have, but I did book early to get an aft balcony next December because we have 4 sea days. In May, I have an inside because we have no sea days.

There are people of all ages on the mass market lines.

Give it a try and find out for yourself. With some of the prices available, try them and see what you think. If you don't enjoy yourselves, then you aren't out a huge sum of money. But I'm guessing you'll have a great time!

Not sure I understand your comment about the food. I've sailed Carnival and HAL and enjoyed the food on both..

I also sailed on the Fascination from JAX, and had a great time at bargain prices, so don't dismiss an older ship, especially one that's been refurbished.

I agree that Carnival's Spirit class ships have the best layouts, in my opinion.

Roz

Yes I do recommend Carnival. My grandmother, who is 63, continuously cruises with us on Carnival and she loves it everytime.

DO NOT cruise in the summer on Carnival because there will be millions of kids.

I love Carnival and on my last cruise I saw all diff age groups enjoying themselves as well. I love the Carnival Victory; I've cruised on it 3 times and it is definitly an older ship, but the staff keeps it sparkling. The service has always been fantastic & the activities are great. I especially enjoy Carnival's food.

One of the most interesting individuals I've met on the Victory was an older woman who cruise back to back constantly. She said it was cheaper than going to a nursing home and she was able to meet people, eat good food, and enjoy entertainment. I don't remember how many cruises she had been on by that time, but I thought that was such an interesting story about a cruiser.

So I say go for it!

Carnival is a terrific cruise...no matter your age.

In 2004 hubby, my mother, my grandmother, and I took our first cruise and it was on a Carnival ship. Grandma had a wonderful time and she was 91 years young. My mother was in her 60s.

Unfortunately Grandma wasn't able to go on more cruises, but my mother has been on two more Carnival cruises since that first one, so it's pretty safe to say she's enjoyed herself :).

In fact, another 60-something friend has gone with us on two of those cruises :cool:.

Carnival's food is very good. Sure, every now and then something doesn't turn out the best, but what cook hasn't had that happen? I think it'd be fairly safe to say that after you eat on Carnival once, you'll have favorite foods you'll want to have again. Check out the Food forum on this website, you'll see that lots of Carnival cruisers crave certain foods between cruises :D.

My little list (shameless plug to keep them on the menu) is Pumpkin Soup, Stuffed Baked White Mushrooms, Lobster Bisque (in the surcharge supper club), Filet Mignon (in the surcharge supper club), Spa Carnival (diet) Cakes in the flavors of Orange, Coconut, Banana, or Mango...LOL, well, you get the idea.

Carnival has traditional dining on all of their ships ( early or late) and some of their ships now have anytime dining also.

I've been on the Destiny class, Fantasy class, Conquest class, and Spirit class of Carnival's ships. They've all been good, but the Spirit class has won my heart, even though it doesn't have a Lido deck big screen television or the fish and chip station :(.

Hubby and I have also been on a couple of NCL cruises, and have another one planned for the fall. This one we are taking my 60+ year old mother on. It will be her first and I think she'll enjoy it.

NCL's dining is anytime. They have lots of restaurants to choose from, many are free and many have a surcharge. You can just show up when you want to eat (sometimes you'll get in right away and other times you may have a wait before getting seated, or you may not be able to get in without a reservation due to heavy demand for that restaurant).

You can't go wrong on any line. But so far we've loved both Carnival and NCL.

Have a wonderful time on whatever line you choose!

We cruise a lot. Have been on carnival, but not for years. We are 66 and 69 years old. I see all these great prices from carnival. I know I would not go on there older ships. If you have been on carnival recently would you recommend Carnival. We are not fancy people. Just want a nice ship with good entertainment. I know the food is not really great on any line. any information would be appreciated.
We're in our early 60's and enjoy the entertainment, food and value of Carnival cruises. I would not hesitate to recommend a Carnival cruise.

Not sure about your food comment though. We have found really good, good and not so good on all the cruise lines. Overall though we have never been truely disappointed on any cruise.

Charlie

I'm 62, my husband is 67. We've been on 2 Carnival cruises, on the Spirit. Unless there is a particular unique itinerary that a Carnival cruise would offer, we'd not choose to cruise on them ever again. While service was good, food was good, cabin was fine...the gaudy "art", interior "decorations" were SO over-the-top that we noticed them, which is quite unusual, and found them offensively so. Couple that with what seemed to be "endless announcements" over the speaker system, none of which we could adequately hear, and then when asking staff, were brushed off; and then way too many "parties" going on, rowdiness, frenetic activity...

no, we'll take a more subdued cruise any time. We've not found their price to be sufficiently cheaper than other lines to justify our discomfort with them.

Uppity Cats,

Carnival Spirit is one of their more subdued ships in terms of decor. :D

Roz

Thanks, you just added another reason to avoid Carnival, to my list! :)

I should also have added the strange problem of a wonderful handicap-accessible cabin, where I could practically do wheelies in my wheelchair in the bathroom! -- but no truly wheelchair accessible restrooms in the public area. Every time I had to..uh..use the facilities, I had to head back to my cabin! And this on a new ship!?!

Pick one of the newer ships and do stay away from the older ones as you've already planned to do and you should be fine. Remember that often families with many many children sail during the summer and vacation periods on Carnival so if a large number of children sailing with you is something that you'd rather not do than choose your sailing dates carefully. Only you are going to know if the Carnival line is for you at this time in your life after having experienced so many cruises on other lines. If I were you and found a Carnival cruise at what I considered a good price on one of their newer ships not during the summer or prime school holidays I would certainly recommend giving it a try.:)

I'm 62, my husband is 67. We've been on 2 Carnival cruises, on the Spirit. Unless there is a particular unique itinerary that a Carnival cruise would offer, we'd not choose to cruise on them ever again. While service was good, food was good, cabin was fine...the gaudy "art", interior "decorations" were SO over-the-top that we noticed them, which is quite unusual, and found them offensively so. Couple that with what seemed to be "endless announcements" over the speaker system, none of which we could adequately hear, and then when asking staff, were brushed off; and then way too many "parties" going on, rowdiness, frenetic activity...

no, we'll take a more subdued cruise any time. We've not found their price to be sufficiently cheaper than other lines to justify our discomfort with them.

I can't imagine how uptight someone would have to be to be "offended" by the decor of a cruise ship. Gaudy I will agree with, but I prefer that over boring any day.

Triumph was OK as far as I was concerned. I did think all of the stained-glass eyeballs staring at you in the buffet area were a bit wierd...

lido_restaurant.jpg

Uppity Cats,

Roz

I'm a first time cruiser and I would like to know what subdued really means. Uncle Sam's Cruise Line is what I call subdued.

We love the Legend even though there are semi nudes all over the place and more urns than you can count! Urns are the seats at all the bars, door knobs, pillars etc., etc. A good cruise contest would be to count the urns on the ship - 1st cruise should be a free cruise. There are so many its impossible to count them all. But we do love this ship and Bob Dickerson, the just retired CEO and president of Carnival, took his family on the Legend for New Year's Eve. (we were on that cruise too!)

Archived