• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

prescription medications???

robinlynn

My husband amd I are in our early sixties...so we have quite a few prescription medications we need to take with us. I know we are to keep each med in the original bottle, but do we also need to have copies of our prescriptions?? I heard they are very strict in both Greece and Turkey....we are flying in and out of Rome for our cruise.

Thanks,

Robin

My husband amd I are in our early sixties...so we have quite a few prescription medications we need to take with us. I know we are to keep each med in the original bottle, but do we also need to have copies of our prescriptions?? I heard they are very strict in both Greece and Turkey....we are flying in and out of Rome for our cruise.

Thanks,

Robin

I keep a copy of prescriptions in case I forget a prescription. Thank goodness I did. Once I had forgotten a medication and without a prescription copy I would have been out of luck.

my husband is on insulin and different pills. we are very well traveled thru europe on land trips and have never had a problem. keep all meds together on one CARRY ON bag - NEVER NEVER have that bag leave your side. we never bring persciptions with us - we do bring a doctors note stating my husbands condition and this is the need for the medications we are traveling with. good luck.

The chances of being searched or asked about meds when cruising are just about nil. Actually, the chances of this happening in Rome are close to nil also.

That said, I always carry my prescriptions with me. While they are not technically valid in most countries, it can help if you need a refill (lost, stolen, etc.). taking the scripts takes up very little room, obviously, so why not take them?

Between my husband and myself we take about 20 different pills. Not all prescriptions. Has anyone just put your pills in weekly pill containers and left bottles at home? I would do an extra week or so in case we were delayed somewhere. I always bring them in original bottles but this takes up a whole carry on. I would love to use this room for something else. I could get scripts and carry them to prove we actually were prescribed the meds. Just wondering.

The rules for prescriptions definitely differ from country to country - fortunately for us. When we arrived in Barcelona last September for a pre-cruise stay, My DH discovered that he'd forgotten to pack his simvistatin (Zocor). It never occured to either of us to bring along written prescriptions. But I remembered reading somewhere that prescription medications in the US are sometimes easily available over the counter in other countries. It was worth a try. A very nice hotel concierge directed us to a neighborhood pharmacy where I tried to explain the situation in extremely poor Spanish. With the translating help of a young woman customer, the pharmacist said "Ah, no prescription needed " and emerged from the back room with just the right dosage for my DH. I guess the bottom line is that it's best not to forget your meds, but even overseas things sometimes work out well.

Sheila

Between my husband and myself we take about 20 different pills. Not all prescriptions. Has anyone just put your pills in weekly pill containers and left bottles at home? I would do an extra week or so in case we were delayed somewhere. I always bring them in original bottles but this takes up a whole carry on. I would love to use this room for something else. I could get scripts and carry them to prove we actually were prescribed the meds. Just wondering.

Understanding that this is not what we are advised to do - this is precisely what DH and I do. We each have our own 2-week pill container filled with a couple of prescriptions and all the vitamins we take so we don't have to take prescriptions - we hope.:D

We have never had any problem at all. HOWEVER, we have no injectables and no narcotics. I would handle those two situations much differently.

I always make a point of carrying a LIST at least of every prescription (available from Dr or Pharmacy) strengths and doses. This is for YOUR protection!! Imagine you are taken seriously ill...unable to respond to aid workers or Dr's...it is imperitive they know what medications you take, especially life effecting ones (Insulin..heart meds..etc,) that you MUST take in proper doses regularly. Does your spouse or partner know all of these facts? In fact I've heard many Dr.'s advise you carry a list like this in your wallet or purse at all times.

My husband amd I are in our early sixties...so we have quite a few prescription medications we need to take with us. I know we are to keep each med in the original bottle, but do we also need to have copies of our prescriptions??

Thanks,

Robin

Why would this even present a problem for you? Like life insurance, it is one of those things that you won't need......until you do. When we are given our prescriptions, there also is included a copy (or two) of each one which can be kept for travelling. If you misplaced or threw yours away, it should be no problem to get a new one printed from your pharmacist; call them up and they could have them done for you when you arrive at the store. You won't even have to wait while they do it for you. Sorry if this sounds preachy, but really it is just a matter of common sense....as is, separating the copies from the medication in case the medication is somehow lost; perhaps keep the copies with your copies of your passport information and that of your credit cards.

To the poster asking about just taking weekly containers of meds--that is what I do every time we travel and have never had a problem in US, Canada, Europe, or South America, even when flying in and out. I do follow another poster's rule and keep them in the carryon bag.

My guess is that if there was an inspection I could name each pill and what it was for, and that whoever was inspecting might recognize that they were not recreational. But my guess might well be wrong.

Thanks,

Robin

Hi,

Ask your pharmacist to label small bottles for ea med. Count out # pills + 2 extra days into the specific bottle. Ask your MD for copies of the Rx (ask for actual name + "Brand Name"

Photocopy the Rx and keep 1 copy with you the other to a contact-who should also have copies of itineray, credit cards emergency info etc. ALWAY pack your Rx in your carryon. I keep the bottle in a small ziplock-if the carryon is taken from you @ gate take the baggie out & put in your purse. You should not have any problem. You are cruising so with the exception of med needed with meals or Digitalis, Insulin the meds will be in your cabin

Enjoy

carole

I had my pharmacy put all of my Rx's in small travel size containers with the labels on them and because I belong to Medic Alert I just print a copy of my medical info out and carry it in my wallet. That way I can always back up each Rx. For all of my vitamins and supplements, I put them in the little snack size baggies with labels on them stating what they are. Flew to Alaska and back thru Vancouver with them in my carry on with no problems.

You don't need copies of your prescriptions, either for the ship or the airplane. You can keep them in the original bottles, or in a pillbox. If you have narcotics, then the original bottle is best.

If you need a refill, lose them or forget to bring one, you will need a copy of scripts. it is always better to be on the safe side:)

Thanks,

Robin

I think you have all had a different take on the question. I too am curious to find a similiar answer. As I understand it if you take prescribed medicines into certain countries then you also are required to take a copy of the prescription for validation purposes. This is something I have read about particularly if entering Dubai as I understand even tablets with Codine in are an illegal drug in dubai. Hence the copy of the presription is not 'Just in case you lose your pills or need more', it is more a case of proving that you need them.

Thanks, Everyone. We get our prescriptions from a mail order pharmacy. This is what our insurance dictates. So, not able to get small bottles. The bottles they give us are usually rather large. Much larger then you would get at a retail pharmacy. They really take up a lot of room.

Also, when our physicial gives us prescriptions there are no duplicates. We really should have copied them as we got them but didn't think at the time. Now, they are renewed via fax from physician. Meds are from different doctors, so, its a project to get copies.

I think I will just do the pill container thing on my next trip. It won't be to Dubai!

Thanks, Everyone. We get our prescriptions from a mail order pharmacy. This is what our insurance dictates. So, not able to get small bottles. The bottles they give us are usually rather large. Much larger then you would get at a retail pharmacy. They really take up a lot of room.

Also, when our physicial gives us prescriptions there are no duplicates. We really should have copied them as we got them but didn't think at the time. Now, they are renewed via fax from physician. Meds are from different doctors, so, its a project to get copies.

I think I will just do the pill container thing on my next trip. It won't be to Dubai!

From a safety stand point and a medical one, you can take your original bottles to your local pharmacy and they will work with you to provide travel units for you. Also, call you doctor and ask for copies of your scripts as you are going out of the country. It may work better to bring the scropt copies with you to the pharmacy when you ask for the small travel units. Both can be done without much to do and will provide you much relief IF you get that one agent that always plays by the rules and refuses to allow you to bring in medications that are not in the original containers. Note: I have seen this done in Barbados. All of a fellow travelers meciations were taken from her because she had them in a special daily case all mixed together. Just because you can provide a name for a pill does not make it that pill. Also, do not put several different pills together in one pill bottle. A gentleman was pulled aside in Greece for this. It is so much easier to just get a script copy, just in case you need it, and to bring your meds in small travel sized containers with labels from a pharmacy.

Archived