• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

My time in Cozumel

Raven Days

We docked at the Porta Maya pier. There are many shops right there as you disembark but if you want to go to the main area of town you have to take a taxi as the walk is very long. I was with a table mate, so we split the fare. I want to say that I have officially survived a Mexian taxi ride. I thought we were going to DIE. I have ridden in a taxi in Nassau, and feared for my life, but this man put a whole new respect for traffic laws in my heart. After gettting out of his car and kissing the ground (not really - but sounded good), we headed off for me to find a phone to call home. I had left my daughter home alone with her 2 babies. She lives with me and does not drive and I had not been away from my grand babies before, so I missed them. I was able to find one just off the main street. You just pick up the phone, and follow the directions for calling the US or Canada. They also had WiFi and internet access. My call lasted about 5 mintes and cost me a $1.

After getting that out of the way, I was ready to see Cozumel. I had read so much about it and was very excited to be there. I was looking for the sand, the beach, the fun. Unfortuantely, its not to be found unless you pay. I did not want to purchase a shore excursion as I wanted to "do it myself". I guess that was my mistake. I thought it would be like in Nassau or Freeport where you can walk to the beach. After getting over my intial disapointment, we started our trek to find Sr. Frogs. I had been told by my best friend who had been there on a previous cruise about the Conquest that I "just had" to go there.

We found the place quite easily. You take the escalator up to another floor and are greeted and seated. I had wanted to sit by the window's to enjoy the secenery and breeze but they were all occupied. Not long after being seated, I was given my first shot out of a squeeze bottle. Then they took our order. I ordered the Tequila shrimp and bottled water. The food was ok. I am not a Margarita drinker and wont drink when in a place where I dont know where I am, so water was fine for me. My friend ordered a Margarita and it was brought out in the Yard Long glass. While we were there I saw the female staff do thier whisle, shot, shake the head thing and knew it was NOT for me. I took alot of photos and we left after eating.

From that, it went down hill fast. I did go to Hard Rock Cafe to get my shot glass, I collect them from all over the world and the US and made sure I got one. We also shopped at the International Pier. I wanted one of those Puebla dresses for my daughter and my grand daughter. I found a pretty blue for the baby (2 1/2 yr old) for $30 but the ones for adults were way expenisve and I passed on it. I had been lead to believe that they would bargin, but she did not seem interested.

The peddlers and shop keepers were constantly after you to come, buy, shop, spend. I thought that my trip to the Bahama's was crazy, this was way worse. I only went into a few shops, including a very nice Turkish shop to see if they had any scarves that I would like. We saw a cab and hailed it to take us back to the ship. Back at the shops by the Porta Maya Pier, it was somewhat more relaxed. I bought 4 tee shirts for $20 and a shot glass. We walked around for a while and then sat in a nice area with a little fountain and enjoyed the weather.

Over all I was very disapointed in Cozumel. If I were to go back I would either take a shore excursion or remain on the ship.

Raven Days,

So sorry to read you didn't have a good port visit at Cozumel. IMHO, Senior Frogs, Margaritaville, Hard Rock Cafe are all chained touristy traps with average quality food you can get at home and overpriced drinks. If you don't want to go to a beach or on an excursion, there are taxi/ van trips .(without wild taxi drivers)that can take you around the island and explore/site see and avoid the barkers. There are websites and these threads that can lead you to much more local and extremely better places to eat and drink than any of the chains.

I hope you get to come back to Cozumel and experience it's many wonderful offerings.

To experience Cozumel you need to get out of the downtown shopping area. There is so much more to the island than that. The first cruise, we just stayed around that area. The second time, we booked a snorkeling trip with Eagle Ray divers and had such a good time, we decided to do a land-based vacation the next year. There are so many fun things to do, that we had to come back the next year, also. Next time, please venture further than the town area. You will have a wonderful time.

The do it yourself beach is Paradise Beach. It is free to use the beach chairs and umbrellas as long as you order food and drinks. (Which by the way, the food was very good.) Maybe next time! As another poster said, it would have paid to do your research ahead of time which is what I did.

I am sad to hear your experience in Cozumel was not the best...this is actually one of my favorite stops on a cruise!

Our first time we stopped here we did the Tulum Mayan ruins excursion..I would highly recommend booking this through your cruise line, to to the time, distance, and multiple transportation modes involved it is just the best idea...you really don't want to get stuck on the road in a broken down bus or taxi and not make it back to the port in time!!!

The ruins are a must see, beautiful, and I think you would be very satisfied with this experience. Also...there is a small flea market there where you can get shot glasses...but, again the mayan dresses are pricey here also. Stop at Frosty's for a fish taco and the best beer you will ever drink!!!

If you do not want to do the ruins: take the ferry to Playa del Carmen. The ferry takes about 45 minutes and is very comfortable. Playa del Carmen is a very touristy place...buy cheap souvenirs here! We call it "mexico myrtle beach"...if that helps with any frame of reference.

Next to the bus station are 3 or 4 food vendors....GET FOOD here!!!! it is really really awesome authentic and tasty! Also, be sure to buy a fruit cup...they will help keep you refreshed!

next to the ferry dock in Playa del Carmen there is a public beach that you can relax on...and it is free!

I hope you give this place another try...It is worth it really!!!

Our excursion was cancelled in Cozumel so we ended up renting a scooter and just exploring the island ourselves. We had a great time and we stopped at Punta Sur, Mr. Sancho's, and some other beaches. We had a great time and it was nice being on our own time vs. an organized excursion.

Our excursion was cancelled in Cozumel so we ended up renting a scooter and just exploring the island ourselves. We had a great time and we stopped at Punta Sur, Mr. Sancho's, and some other beaches. We had a great time and it was nice being on our own time vs. an organized excursion.

Sorry to hear your excursion was canceled but glad you had a great time anyway. On another subject as there haven’t been responses yet on other posts, do you happen to have a copy of your Capers from your Destiny Western? Also did the ship change time to local time? We leave in 7 days! WooHoo!

When in Cozumel, I felt it safe enough to explore on your own. A can to the national park at Chankanaab is about $10 and it's a nice place to relax and grab a bite to eat. Food was reasonable, admission to the park was about $15 and you can rent snorkeling equip or chairsfor the beach.

In town, there's a restaurant at the end of the strip in the back of a souvenir shop. I think it's Del Sol or something like that (Any help appreciated) It's a must for margaritas. Holy smokes, they are great.

Archived