• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

This quote sums it up....

Sky Sweet

There have been a number of threads recently asking if people will spend less for a cruise or take less cruises because of the recession.

This quote from the CTraveler summarizes exactly how I feel:

"Now more than ever, people want to make sure they are getting the most out of every dollar they spend on a vacation"

In other words, for me, value is more important than price even it means taking one very good cruise instead of two that are "nothing special" for the same amount of money.

But if you pay a great price you can't expect the top line of everything in my opinion

Hi toronto25 :)

I agree that you can't expect top of the line everything for a great price, but I don't think top of the line everything is necessary for a good cruise. For example, I love a good New York Strip steak, even though it is a far cry from filet mignon. On the other hand, a good New York Strip steak is a lot better than many other cuts of meat.

With today's prices, I can easily take three Caribbean cruises for the cost of our upcoming Cruise to Bermuda but I would rather take that one cruise to Bermuda. Obviously, a lot of other people feel the same way or the prices for Bermuda would not be so high at a time when the cruise lines are slashing prices on other itineraries.

I've not been accused of optimism (so what!). If the economy gets worse and I think it will, then there will be a point at which lines go bankrupt and shrink or disappear, new builds will be cancelled. Eventually some ships will end up on the rocks to be broken earlier than would be typical... The industry may shrink to older capacity levels with older high prices...

IN THE MEANTIME... There will be excess capacity and corresponding discounts.

The 'experience' is largely fixed. So - the great cruiseline chefs will become experts at herbing and spicing starch and meats will shrink... It will be interesting to watch (I can afford to lose a couple pounds;) but probably won't)

Long and short of it there is likely to be great deals for the next couple of years. I hope I can avail myself of them, but hey - the consumer will do very well.

I agree, it's time to jump on one of those cruises you would not normally go for. For us, it's Oceania during the holidays. The price of their 12 day holiday cruise was about the same as HAL and Celebrity.

If these low prices hold, we are looking at some multi-week cruises in Europe 2010.

If the travel industry is taking a down turn, it won't be because of us!:rolleyes::)

Kel

Hi toronto25 :)

I agree that you can't expect top of the line everything for a great price, but I don't think top of the line everything is necessary for a good cruise. For example, I love a good New York Strip steak, even though it is a far cry from filet mignon. On the other hand, a good New York Strip steak is a lot better than many other cuts of meat.

With today's prices, I can easily take three Caribbean cruises for the cost of our upcoming Cruise to Bermuda but I would rather take that one cruise to Bermuda. Obviously, a lot of other people feel the same way or the prices for Bermuda would not be so high at a time when the cruise lines are slashing prices on other itineraries.

I'd like to add something to my previous post quoted above.

I think the prices for cruises to Bermuda are high this year, in spite of all the amazing deals on other itineraries, because there are very few ships sailing to Bermuda.

Since there will be a lot more competition for Bermuda next year, I have a feeling that prices for this itinerary will be more favorable in 2010.

I'd like to add something to my previous post quoted above.

I think the prices for cruises to Bermuda are high this year, in spite of all the amazing deals on other itineraries, because there are very few ships sailing to Bermuda.

Since there will be a lot more competition for Bermuda next year, I have a feeling that prices for this itinerary will be more favorable in 2010.

Cruise prices were always high to Bermuda back in the late 90's and early into the 2000's even when there were many ship there.

The discount to get there was the after September 1st cruises when the kids went back to school and the people cruising numbers went down...

But also hurricane and storm season on the East coast.

I thought that, unlike most islands, historically, Bermuda's harbor and island authorities severely limited the numbers and even size (once upon a time) of cruise ships allowed to visit. I remember it was a big deal when Carnival managed to get appoval to send ships. I had the impression that supply of berths available for Bermuda was uncharacteristically low due to circumstances outside the cruiselines' control (the island authorities); hence the lines were able to charge high fares there.

Anyone read this on the net? Its about cruise discounts still afloat.

They are saying cruise prices are lower now than they were even

right after Sept 11th.

Here is the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/03/09/cruise.travel/index.html

Yep, this is why we are on our way AGAIN to Alaska this summer with X...the price to take our 2 children this time w/ 2 cabins is less than the cost of what my DH and I went for alone, 2 years ago!

Good time to book, we got OBC and reduced deposits...especially if you have flexible dates...:)

Yep, this is why we are on our way AGAIN to Alaska this summer with X...the price to take our 2 children this time w/ 2 cabins is less than the cost of what my DH and I went for alone, 2 years ago!

Good time to book, we got OBC and reduced deposits...especially if you have flexible dates...:)

Hi,:) I also saw those prices for Alaska! Even as a solo...they are low!

I went last summer and never thought about going 2 years in

a row but I might have to look more closely;)

We were planning on spending a week in May in the BC Wine Country, for the same week, we just booked HAL Alaska 7 day cruise for get this.... $279 CANADIAN (30% less than American right now) before taxes. With taxes and port charges it was $640 Canadian. That's insane! I get to take a cab down to the pier, take as much wine as I want, I'm in heaven :)

Prices are really good right now but I do not think they are less than just after 911. My DD and I sailed then, we were on the first flight that went to San Juan after the attacks. We almost didn't go...Just pulled out a scrap book and we paid more then for our aft balcony than they are selling for this Sept. I think alot of people are comparing apples and oranges. There are great deals on early and late Alaska, I was checking some dates myself. Europe is priced good but there are alot of ships and they need people in the berths. I agreed with the earlier posts about Bermuda. Their gov't controlls the number of ships that can dock and as such, the supply and demand stay high so the prices tend to be more. I know I am booking things that I would not usually book along with what I had already decided to book for this year and early next. Deposit amounts were reduced and I could book 2 for the cost of one and I can pay off a cruise in 60 days then pay off the next one. I am planning to take the family in Dec and it will be ALOT less than I paid 2 years ago. What will happen to the economy? Who knows? I do know, I plan to con't to live my life and not hide my head in a hole crying as the cartoon showed in the Post the other day. My DS says,"... a cruise is a lot cheaper than therapy."

I just saw a story on NBC about how low airline pricing is right now. They said you could go to Barcelona RT for $200 (probably from NYC) and other comparably low fares. If I was making any money AT ALL I would go--but being a Realtor these days is kind of akin to working for Lehman Bros.! I hate having to pass up all these great deals that I see. . .OTOH if I'm not selling anything, I may as well go on vacation!

;) Cathy

Archived