High seas hawaii

snowman

We are booked for a 14 cruise on the Golden in Oct. Has anyone done this in Oct. and how has the weather been. I personaly it a little rough. We had force 7 for 2 days on the Emerald and we got right into all dining rooms as every one else were in their cabins eating crackers

We are booked for a 14 cruise on the Golden in Oct. Has anyone done this in Oct. and how has the weather been. I personaly it a little rough. We had force 7 for 2 days on the Emerald and we got right into all dining rooms as every one else were in their cabins eating crackers

We are also booked for 10-11-09 but did this trip when it was a 15 dayer on Diamond.

The 1st two days were a little roll and rough. Then the last two also. But it wasnt bad at all. However? You never know. We loved it though.

We did this cruise last Oct. and two other times before. This past Oct. we had almost 8 days of rolling seas. Going to Hawaii we had a storm to the north that produced a rolling from side to side that had some pax staying in their rooms. Also going back to LA we had motion.

On the other trips we had some very calm seas. It is really just the luck of the draw on what kind of weather/seas you will have. Book it anyway.

As others have said, it's the luck of the draw. That's a big expanse of open ocean. The two first days out of L.A. (and back), you cross the current that runs along the entire west coast. It has nothing to do with the weather.

We're leaving in 3 weeks and hope for calm seas, but two years ago in late March we (the Island Princess) ran into the tail end of a storm with 16-20 ft waves and very heavy winds. We did o.k. with the aid of ginger caps and Sea Bands, but we did a lot of "lurching" around. Dancing got to be quite an experience!:D

We went last October (2008) and the whole trip was perfect. We are going again this October and plan on having a great time then too. So far, we have never had any problems with the weather in October. Maybe one cool day, but the rest were great! So we are hoping for a good trip this year too!

As others have said, it's the luck of the draw. That's a big expanse of open ocean. The two first days out of L.A. (and back), you cross the current that runs along the entire west coast. It has nothing to do with the weather.

We're leaving in 3 weeks and hope for calm seas, but two years ago in late March we (the Island Princess) ran into the tail end of a storm with 16-20 ft waves and very heavy winds. We did o.k. with the aid of ginger caps and Sea Bands, but we did a lot of "lurching" around. Dancing got to be quite an experience!:D

HI Maui-

I've heard other passengers taking the ginger caps. I am interested in bringing them along on our next cruise. Do they really work for you two? I have the sea bands and the [newer] digital sea band that sends electric pulses.

Do you have to take the ginger every day, or just when the seas get rough?

Thanks!

A friend who is very prone to seasickness used ginger caps the last time we cruised, and by taking it daily, had no problems. She didn't have to use eithr her Sea Bands or her prescription patch.

Not saying it will work that well for everyone, but she had great success with it.

We THINK they worked for us also. We started taking them a few days before the cruise and I took every day during also. NEVER had a problem.

Now weather or not it just didnt bother us? Or the Ginger helped. I donno but we'll takem again when we go.

I take two ginger caps every morning, at least for the first few days until I get my "sea legs". I take two right after we board. And I wear the SeaBands the whole time, day and night. In fact, when my watchband broke, I sewed the watch on the SeaBand. I think I read somewhere that the ginger caps have a slight blood thinning effect. Something to consider maybe.

Like someone said earlier it's the luck of the draw. One time we sailed across in October and it was smooth as glass the whole way. Last year the cruise right before ours was very rough most of the way. Ours the following was rough slightly for a couple of days going to Hawaii but calm coming home. That's one of the fun things of being on a ship, right?

Where do you purchase gingercaps?

I just picked up some last night at Rite Aide (drug store in Cali). I couldn't find them at first, but the Pharmacist found them for me, in the herbal supplement / vitamin area. The label directs 1-2 capsules daily for motion sickenss or digestive issues.

My mother in Boston highly recommends them and takes them on all of her cruises.

I just picked up some last night at Rite Aide (drug store in Cali). I couldn't find them at first, but the Pharmacist found them for me, in the herbal supplement / vitamin area. The label directs 1-2 capsules daily for motion sickenss or digestive issues.

My mother in Boston highly recommends them and takes them on all of her cruises.

They are available in health food stores...it works on the same principle as flat ginger ale that your mother gave you when you had an upset tummy. Some people bring fresh ginger and shave it into hot water.. and other have ginger teabags.. I do carry mint teabags with me and use that for an upset stomach.

If any of you are on blood thinning meds (including aspirin), please consult your Physician before taking Ginger as a supplement.

What is the most important information I should know about ginger?

Ginger is a commonly used flavoring agent and food product. Ginger is also available as an herbal supplement. The information contained in this leaflet refers to the use of ginger as an herbal supplement. When used as a food product, the benefits and potential side effects of ginger may be less pronounced than when it is used as an herbal supplement.

Do not take ginger without first talking to your doctor if you

-have gallstones or any other disease of the gallbladder;

-have diabetes or if you are taking a medicine to control your blood sugar levels;

-have any heart problems or take any heart medicines;

-have a bleeding or blood clotting disorder or are taking a medicine to increase or decrease the clotting of your blood such as aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin), or heparin; or

[*]take other herbs, antioxidants, or health supplements (these may affect blood thinning).

You may not be able to take ginger, or you may require special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions or are taking any of the medicines listed above.

Ginger has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of ginger may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds. There have been instances where herbal/health supplements have been sold which were contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.

Who should not take ginger?

-have diabetes or if you are taking a medicine to control your blood sugar levels;

-have a bleeding or blood clotting disorder or are taking a medicine to increase or decrease the clotting of your blood such as aspirin, warfarin (Coumadin), or heparin; or

[*]take other herbs, antioxidants, or health supplements (these may affect blood thinning).

You may not be able to take ginger, or you may require special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions or are taking any of the medicines listed above.

Talk to your doctor before taking ginger if you have any other medical conditions, allergies (especially to plants), or if you take other medicines or herbal/health supplements. Ginger may not be recommended in some other situations.

Do not take ginger without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant. Do not take ginger without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. There is no information available regarding the use of ginger by children. Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without first talking to the child's doctor.

My DH is very prone to seasickness, and can't take any of the usual meds or use the patches. We have been taking only ginger caps for years now, and no more problems. We start taking them a few days before the cruise, and throughout the cruise as well. We each take 2 with a meal, 3 times a day. I get them (cheap!) at Wal Mart. They also have anti-inflammatory properties and help with arthiritis. (My opinion based on experience and what I have read).

Julie

If any of you are on blood thinning meds (including aspirin), please consult your Physician before taking Ginger as a supplement.

What is the most important information I should know about ginger?

Ginger is a commonly used flavoring agent and food product. Ginger is also available as an herbal supplement. The information contained in this leaflet refers to the use of ginger as an herbal supplement. When used as a food product, the benefits and potential side effects of ginger may be less pronounced than when it is used as an herbal supplement.

Ginger has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of ginger may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds. There have been instances where herbal/health supplements have been sold which were contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.

Who should not take ginger?

Talk to your doctor before taking ginger if you have any other medical conditions, allergies (especially to plants), or if you take other medicines or herbal/health supplements. Ginger may not be recommended in some other situations.

Do not take ginger without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant. Do not take ginger without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. There is no information available regarding the use of ginger by children. Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without first talking to the child's doctor.

Thanks for sharing this important information!

My DH is very prone to seasickness, and can't take any of the usual meds or use the patches. We have been taking only ginger caps for years now, and no more problems. We start taking them a few days before the cruise, and throughout the cruise as well. We each take 2 with a meal, 3 times a day. I get them (cheap!) at Wal Mart. They also have anti-inflammatory properties and help with arthiritis. (My opinion based on experience and what I have read).

Julie

Considering I dont take them until I set foot on the ship and just days at sea.. and the chances of my being sea sick.. I'll take my chances.. The maximum we have cruised will be this year.. with two cruises...There is nothing worse than mal de mer...lol..Just the thoughts of it.. with a basket by the bed...are enough to send me to my medicine cabinet to hug my bottle

cant tell you about October but we are on Golden right now in Maui with a Force 8 gale blowing making for very uncomfortable tendering. But the days at sea to get here were relatively calm. Lots of whales to watch today. Yesterday in Kauai was weather perfect but here today though the water temp is 75 the air temp is 68:)

cant tell you about October but we are on Golden right now in Maui with a Force 8 gale blowing making for very uncomfortable tendering. But the days at sea to get here were relatively calm. Lots of whales to watch today. Yesterday in Kauai was weather perfect but here today though the water temp is 75 the air temp is 68:)

We were on the cruise before you and went through 2 gales! We had really rough seas on the way out AND back except for one day and had to miss Kauai because of weather.(I'm still rocking and rolling even though we've been home a week. I wasn't sick on the ship but it must have done something to my inner ear)

It sounds like you are pretty much having good weather.

Thanks dforeigner and parrotmom.

In the past I've drank Mint tea, and will bring some on board next month. I usually don't get sea sick, my problem is on the excursions in a bus! Blech...I'll make some hot mint tea, put it in my travel mug with ice and sip it during tours; it seems to work for me.

Thanks dforeigner and parrotmom.

In the past I've drank Mint tea, and will bring some on board next month. I usually don't get sea sick, my problem is on the excursions in a bus! Blech...I'll make some hot mint tea, put it in my travel mug with ice and sip it during tours; it seems to work for me.

Never have thought of it that way.. but I just some green tea which we have been drinking iced.. and I like that.. Learn something new every day..lol

Archived