• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Trasportation from Captain Cook to Anchorage Airport

sue450

I'm on a Princess NB cruisetour. My last night is at the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage before flying out the next day. I currently have a Princess transfer from the hotel to the airport, but it's $35 per person (there are 2 of us). I was thinking about trying to cancel the transfer and make my own arrangements (like just getting a cab).

Any idea how available cabs are at the hotel (have an early morning flight) and the approximate cost to get to the airport?

Thanks.

$35 per person is a silly waste of money. Shame on them for gouging people like that for a 5 mile, 10 min drive. Take the $25-$30 taxi just to spite them for us :) Your hotel is plenty capable of arranging a cab - we have plenty.

Silly Princess.. who do they think they are? :)

Thanks for the responses. You both confirmed my thoughts. Why not take a cab and save some money?!?! Now the question is whether or not I'm locked into the transfer. Will call my TA today!!!

Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks for the responses. You both confirmed my thoughts. Why not take a cab and save some money?!?! Now the question is whether or not I'm locked into the transfer. Will call my TA today!!!

Thanks so much for your help.

I doubt that you'd be locked into the transfer. My original itinerary had us on Princess Air with transfers from Capt Cook to the Anchorage airport. The transfers were quoted at $14 per person. We subsequently cancelled Princess Air and booked ourselves on an early flight out. We then cancelled the Princess transfer since we were told by our TA that Princess does not do transfers before 11:00 am. Seems odd though, I can't understand why they couldn't do early transfers too.

I doubt that you'd be locked into the transfer. My original itinerary had us on Princess Air with transfers from Capt Cook to the Anchorage airport. The transfers were quoted at $14 per person. We subsequently cancelled Princess Air and booked ourselves on an early flight out. We then cancelled the Princess transfer since we were told by our TA that Princess does not do transfers before 11:00 am. Seems odd though, I can't understand why they couldn't do early transfers too.

I sure hope they do transfers before 11am because we have a 6am flight out of Fairbanks, supposedly on Princess transfers. Can anyone clarify this?

• 3 months later...

Well, having just finished our cruisetour (which was wonderful) I can now say that my TA was wrong. Princess does indeed provide early transfers from the Captain Cook Hotel to Anchorage Airport. There is actually a Princess Tours office right in the lobby of the hotel. Since we had not made arrangements for transfer in advance we went to the Princess office and they were very helpful in setting it up for us. They arranged for a very early (4:15am) luggage pick-up in our room and we were on the 5:30am bus to the airport for our 8:00am flight. BTW, the hotel itself is very luxurious and only a short drive to the airport.

I'm on a Princess NB cruisetour. My last night is at the Captain Cook Hotel in Anchorage before flying out the next day. I currently have a Princess transfer from the hotel to the airport, but it's $35 per person (there are 2 of us). I was thinking about trying to cancel the transfer and make my own arrangements (like just getting a cab).

Just curious, how did you find out the cost of the transfer, was this an add-on to your cruisetour?

We did a Princess Cruisetour (first ever cruise) one month ago. 7-day land/7-day sea (arranged through a TA) and all transfers were included. I received one "bill" from the TA for the entire trip and the price was less than what was posted on the Princess website, ie., we got a balcony cabin for the price of a unobstructed oceaview plus $200 cruise credit.

There was nothing specifically listed on my travel documents which clearly stated we had pre-paid transfers and a few wekks before departing I called the TA and she assured me we had them and everything was taken care of.

In hindsight, just wondering how much were those transfers.

Robert: I'm glad to hear your good report on Capt Cook (where we're staying for a couple of days pre-cruise.) So many people don't like the place: say it's dowdy and dated as well as having small rooms and small bathrooms.

Just curious, how did you find out the cost of the transfer, was this an add-on to your cruisetour?

We did a Princess Cruisetour (first ever cruise) one month ago. 7-day land/7-day sea (arranged through a TA) and all transfers were included. I received one "bill" from the TA for the entire trip and the price was less than what was posted on the Princess website, ie., we got a balcony cabin for the price of a unobstructed oceaview plus $200 cruise credit.

There was nothing specifically listed on my travel documents which clearly stated we had pre-paid transfers and a few wekks before departing I called the TA and she assured me we had them and everything was taken care of.

In hindsight, just wondering how much were those transfers.

I believe the cost of the transfer was $14 per person as quoted by my TA on the invoice. It was not included in the price of the cruise tour because we did not book our flights through Princess. I'm guessing that if we had just arranged for a cab to the airport it would have cost about the same.

Robert: I'm glad to hear your good report on Capt Cook (where we're staying for a couple of days pre-cruise.) So many people don't like the place: say it's dowdy and dated as well as having small rooms and small bathrooms.

It's a matter of taste I guess! Maybe, since I had low expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. And my wife loved the bathrooms!

Low expectations for the Captain Cook! I'll faint! It is one of my favorite hotels. That said there are all catagories of rooms and some are better than others, but certainly none are awful or worn out.

Agreed! We stayed 2 nights, first when we arrived in ANC and then we we flew back from Prudhoe the day before heading to Whittier to board the ship.

Each night was in different towers, but the rooms were very similar. Very spacious, nice big bathrooms. In fact the Captain Cook was the nicest hotel we stayed at during our 7 day land tour. We must have lucked out and gotten the better rooms.

Archived