• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Oosterdam-Oct 5,2009 cruise--land tours

precor92s

Hi,

I'm new to this posting business and relatively new to cruising so not sure how this all works.

Anyway I will be taking the Holland America (Oosterdam) cruise to the Meditterranean on Oct. 5, 2009 with two of my best friends. All of the ports are new to us. We're not sure whether to prebook tours, or take a chance on finding English-speaking taxi drivers once in port. We are also thinking that for the big cities like Rome and Florence it might be better and more financially manageable for us to share a minivan (forgot what that type of tour was called?). I think the minivans only allow for 5-6 persons and I'm guessing that would be a faster way to see more of the city in only a one day time period. But I've also heard about terrible traffic and that the ship docks a fair distance from town. Can anyone tell me how you go about finding interested persons to join a land tour such as that? Is it better to ask on websites such as this or is it relatively easy to find people to share these minivans once on ship. I'm afraid that if we were to prebook a minivan tour before we board and are not able to find any people to join us, we would be stuck with the very high cost of the minivan.

Any help that you expert cruisers can provide for on shore touring will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

EK

hi pre...go to roll calls, click Holland, click Oosterdamn there are 3 boards about your cruise...i am on that one also...we have been looking for others to join us....we will be glad to help you out with info.....

• 4 months later...

We will be on this cruise and we have already booked a full day walking tour with a company called Through Eternity which was highly recommended by some freinds. It is $365 Euros for 5 people (far less than the shop tour), not including transportation. We can book a mini van for another $150 euros (total one way) although my husband and I are planning on taking the train into the city if we cannot find more people to share with. If you are interested, drop me a note at doreenw@yahoo.com . We are energetic people in our 50's that are great travelers.

Archived