• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

LAX Hotels - Walking Around is Not So Great!

This comes up a lot on the boards here, and the "locals" try to explain that...

If you are booking a hotel in the direct LAX area, on or around the airport and Century Blvd.

there is nothing around in the direct area regarding, restaurants, shops, or anything good.

I had some time in the area recently, so took a bunch of pictures to visually show what you will actually see and experience in the area around these hotels.

This is all directly around all of the main major hotels between Sepulveda Blvd. area and LAX...

I'm putting this up here, so that our locals and others can use this as a visual guide, if ever trying to explain the "non-appeal" of this particular area.

So here are a bunch of "fun" things that you can look forward to walking around your direct LAX area hotels...

d9d5e0b70155e23b60a5fd98e68f0ccb.jpg

2269383760079337728xkaNSq_th.jpg

You've got some Sex Shops, Strip Clubs, and Bail Bonds if you need those.

There's also some nice seedy liquor stores, or just general shipping/warehouse type places...

Here's more...

831797e0c00609d95885d425ac3c2cc6.jpg

2178419980079337728VveVaG_th.jpg

You've also got a gas station if you need snacks, a graffiti ridden Fast Food place, more Industrial/Airport facilities, long cement sidewalks with nothing more than storage facilities and empty lots, but if you get really lonely...

You can always hang out with some of the very nice street urchins.

I'm just showing you exactly what it is, so it makes sense when us "locals" tell you that there really is nothing around in walking distance in the direct LAX area - and there are really many better options if you want to stay in LA and see more nice tourist things.

Mmmmkay?

;)

Ooh I'm signing up for that excursion right now!!!;)

Yes, it's very industrial, concrete, and somewhat seedy!

And that is why, if you really, really, need to stay at a hotel nearby LAX - I personally only recommend these ones on this thread/link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900986

The ones in that thread are close to LAX, without being at that direct LAX area.

They have shuttles to and from LAX.

And, if you need any kind of shops, restaurants, sights at all for the day before or so - much, much better area, with much nicer things in walking distance!

Hopefully this helps in the future!

:D

But don't they have an In-N-Out Burger practically at the end of the runway?:p

I could deal with some street urchins to get me some good Double-Doubles.......:D

Ahhh my friend...

But it is really much much further than you realize, if you are staying at an LAX hotel and trying to walk there!

The only one that is even close enough to try walking would be the Radisson, and if it was after sunset - I personally wouldn't even want to do that!

Because even at that hotel, which would technically be the closest, you can't get out the front on Century or Sepulveda!

You have to walk out the back on the side street, then around a full large city block to get to Century, then up and around to Sepulveda, then you still have a few more blocks to go!

Oh noes!

;)

Ahhh my friend...

But it is really much much further than you realize, if you are staying at an LAX hotel and trying to walk there!

The only one that is even close enough to try walking would be the Radisson, and if it was after sunset - I personally wouldn't even want to do that!

Because even at that hotel, which would technically be the closest, you can't get out the front on Century or Sepulveda!

You have to walk out the back on the side street, then around a full large city block to get to Century, then up and around to Sepulveda, then you still have a few more blocks to go!

Oh noes!

;)

I know.........You're right.:(

But I miss my In-N-Out..............:(

Curt is absolutely right though people ~ the area around LAX is not suitable for walking. But you can take a taxi to the In-N-Out.:D And the burgers are SO worth it.........

Oh, wait......this is the "Walking around LAX" thread. Sorry ~ no talking about taxis...:p

Unfortunately, I'm somewhat limited in my hotel choices. I'm a Hampton Inn employee, so I get the employee rate at Hilton family hotels. Of course, each hotel only has so many rooms at employee rate available for each night. Since my first choice (the Doubletree in San Pedro) wasn't available, it looks like we're going to be in the Embassy Suites LAX South in El Segundo. After 7 hours of traveling, we don't plan on walking any farther than the hotel pool, at least. :p

Excellent - now I can step off my flight, go see my bail bondsman before heading out to get a nice big bottle of Jack Daniels before heading to purchase some XXX stuff once I've gassed the rental car at the Chevron ;)

Thanks for the pictoral guide! Every time I'm in LA, the area around the airport is always a source of amusement (makes for an interesting drive, at the very least!)

There was a line from some forgettable movie years ago...."Oh, you own the Nudes! place by the airport?" "Yeah, we remodeled. Now it's Nudes! Nudes! Nudes!"

Which is exactly what the sign used to say, they've toned it down since then.

Also, do NOT get a hotel east of the I-405 freeway. The colorful photos CJW posted are west of the freeway. Cross the freeway and things get scary quickly, especially at night. The south side of the airport is a mix of nice and seedy lodging...probably not the best place to be wandering around on foot, but slightly more suburban as far as stores and restaurants.

There are some nice areas north of the airport that include In-n-Out, bank branches, grocery and drug stores, etc. Walking there from the Century Blvd hotels is inadvisable but it's a quick taxi ride and safe to walk around once you're there.

I am staying at the Embassy Suites, El Segundo because I am a Hilton Honors Diamond Elite and I am staying Pre and Post Cruise for free. I have been there before. They have a very good restruant, free breakfast and free happy hour in the evening.

Embassy Suites El Segundo looks nice and I wasn't singling it out. (We used to have a customer in a high rise down the street). However there are motels in the same neighborhood with bars on the windows and others with hourly rates. Pick carefully on the south side of LAX.

Having never been to LA, I asked a while back about LAX hotels for an overnight layover, particularly ones that had a shuttle service since we won't have a car. Curt suggested the Foghorn Harbor Inn at Marina Del Rey (where we will be staying now for 2 nights as a result of a flight change), the Radisson Westside at Culver City or one other that I forget, and I must admit I wondered why he had such difficulty suggesting any at LAX. Now I know why!!!!

Thanks, Curt, for steering us in a better direction. I'm looking forward to spensing a full day exploring Venice Beach and Santa Monica and the having dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, which we discovered (and at a couple of times) when we were in Hawaii a year or so back.

Cheers

Bob

That nudie bar should qualify for landmark status. I remember driving by it in the 70s.

And I think they have the same dancers there from the 70s...Some of them are probably now in their 70s!! :)

As usual, here is my quick take on the LAX area: ONLY stay there if you have an early flight out in the morning and are staying there for just one night and are fine with eating at your hotel restaurant. Never venture East of the 405 in the LAX area...

IF you want a free airport shuttle, there are hotels NORTH of LAX that have them (Our Wedding night, 27.5 years ago, my wife and I had an early flight out to Tel Aviv for our honeymoon and stayed in what is now the Four Points in Culver City...largely because they shuttled us to LAX for free in the morning)...

IF you want a free airport shuttle, there are hotels NORTH of LAX that have them

Exactly!

And here are the best ones that offer free shuttles to and from LAX:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=900986

These are in much nicer areas with lots more around in walking distance...

(click on that link to get the info)

:cool:

I woulld certainly not argue with the LA experts however in February '08 we stayed overnight pre-cruise at the Sheraton Gateway near LAX. As we arrived in the evening after a long day in the office we decided to stay near the airport and head to the port the next morning.

We decided to walk straight up the street to In and Out Burger and then a few more blocks to the Long's Drug Store to buy some last minute items for the cruise.

We enjoyed the walk and had no problems at all.

i realize of course that we might have been 'lucky'

Having never been to LA, I asked a while back about LAX hotels for an overnight layover, particularly ones that had a shuttle service since we won't have a car. Curt suggested the Foghorn Harbor Inn at Marina Del Rey (where we will be staying now for 2 nights as a result of a flight change), the Radisson Westside at Culver City or one other that I forget, and I must admit I wondered why he had such difficulty suggesting any at LAX. Now I know why!!!!

Thanks, Curt, for steering us in a better direction. I'm looking forward to spensing a full day exploring Venice Beach and Santa Monica and the having dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, which we discovered (and at a couple of times) when we were in Hawaii a year or so back.

Cheers

Bob

There are several Cheesecake Factories in the LA area, and even though I'm not a foodie, I do recommend eating there.

Curt is absolutely right though people ~ the area around LAX is not suitable for walking.

I'm not sure about that. Even when I pick someone up from LAX at 3AM, you can see "businesswomen" walking. They must feel safe-----some even wave at you!

:rolleyes:

My cousin Jeff used to be a Public Defender in a large US city. Many of his "clients" were "working ladies", most of whom he would see regularly as part of the justice merry-go-round. On Fridays my cousin would meet his mom (my aunt) for lunch downtown. They would meet in a parking lot and walk 3 blocks to their favorite restaurant. As my cousin and aunt walked, hookers would often recognize him, wave, and say "Hi Jeff" right in front of his mom! :)

Yes there's mostly industry around the airport. But, what else should there be? It's one of the busiest airports in the world so not to many homes or "nice" things are near it! I wouldn't be afraid to walk around the airport, it's really not that bad. Things are just spread out so walking becomes less attractive. As one poster stated, walk north on Sepulveda toward the In n Out and the shops in that area, not to far and not worth being scared about.

Archived