New to NCL: internet question

XJflyer

I've sailed many times on Royal Caribbean, but never before on NCL, and I'm trying to figure out what to expect for internet access on my upcoming cruise on the Spirit.

I have researched some posts on here about internet on NCL. Someone said the per-minute charge is the same, whether you use their computers or your own (I will have my laptop). Do they also offer any package deals? On RCCL you could by a bunch of minutes for a better per-minute rate, or they even had a deal for unlimited minutes your whole cruise.

Also wondering if there will be wireless access in the cabin. Thank you for any information!

I've sailed many times on Royal Caribbean, but never before on NCL, and I'm trying to figure out what to expect for internet access on my upcoming cruise on the Spirit.

I have researched some posts on here about internet on NCL. Someone said the per-minute charge is the same, whether you use their computers or your own (I will have my laptop). Do they also offer any package deals? On RCCL you could by a bunch of minutes for a better per-minute rate, or they even had a deal for unlimited minutes your whole cruise.

Also wondering if there will be wireless access in the cabin. Thank you for any information!

Yes , NCL has similar " packages " from .75 per min. down to .45 I beleive. There is wireless but not in every room ( hot spots and suites ) some cabins .

It will be very much like RCCL.

Internet speed is never too fast, about the same as dial-up. $50-100 will buy you a nice package of minutes. Purchased on the first day they will give you a bonus of 10-20 minutes, depending on the package.

Wireless in some cabins on the newer ships, ask the internet manager. On one cruise, we had wireless hot spots. In the room it was wired, and I did not bring a cable. Was able to borrow one from the ship.;)

Couple of things...

1) Internet speed is better if you use it off-peak hours. Think morning (during breakfast hours) or while in port. I found it was always usable for e-mail.

2) On my cruise they offered SEVERAL specials throughout the cruise where the price was lowered during certain hours. If you are not SURE you will use all the minutes in a package, just wait for theses specials.

Couple of things...

1) Internet speed is better if you use it off-peak hours. Think morning (during breakfast hours) or while in port.

If someone is going to use a computer while in port, they can almost always find faster, and cheaper access ashore: Internet cafe, Starbucks (in Cozumel for example).

Rich

does anyone know if they have "wireless" in the cabins on the jewel? also,do I need to print out the instructions for logging on to the internet while onboard,or is it just like logging on here at home?

Some cabins have Wi-Fi. $100 buys you 250 minutes, plus a bonus. CV level can get access in the Courtyard if not in the rooms.

Access is slow, good enough for web mail but don't expect to VPN into your office at sea--it's not usually successful. For me, it allows me to spend some time every day touching base with the office, usually in the mornings before we get going, or late afternoon when everybody is re-grouping for the evening.

Service goes from slow, to very slow, to extremely slow, to locked-up (all too frequently).

NCL has had Wi-Fi for years--they had it on the Dream back in August of 2003. It was slow then, too!

Expect spotty service and to have to call the internet pro at least once if you use it all the time. It's gotten better over the years.

I've always used my own or my wife's laptop.

If someone is going to use a computer while in port, they can almost always find faster, and cheaper access ashore: Internet cafe, Starbucks (in Cozumel for example).

Rich

Agreed, but usually not Wi-Fi and there are some things that I need to use MY laptop for.

Also, I would NOT access any bank/credit card sites on a public computer at an internet cafe...

Archived