• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Destiny review (detailed)

cruisinCLT

Before I start my review about the Destiny, I would like to let you know a little bit about our group. We had a total of 13 on our family cruise. All but 3 had cruised before and we all were in balcony rooms on the Empress level. Four rooms were in the back of the ship and 2 rooms were on the sides. Our ages ran from 13-65. There was myself, my husband, my 3 sisters, my brother in law, my niece, my cousin, my parents, 2 aunts and my uncle.

Day before the cruise

We flew into Ft Lauderdale early that day and stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites. We had a suite ($129.50), and 3 king size rooms ($109.83). We paid for a taxi ($15) to take 3 of us to the liquor store so we could fill up our rum runners (which worked out perfectly in our checked bags). We walked across the street and got our beer and soda from the grocery store. And again, we had no problems getting them to our room in our checked luggage. We ate lunch at the Italian place across the street. Great food, great prices, and we got 10% off with our room key. We also had dinner at the Mexican place in the same little plaza across the street. Happy Hour had buy 1 get 1 free drinks and we also got a discount with our room key. Hotels pool was heated and they offered an excellent free breakfast. Overall great location and great value. The hotel also had a free shuttle to and from the FLL airport.

Day of the cruise

Our limo picked us up at the hotel and took us to the port of Miami. We used Cache Limo and Louis always provides us with excellent service. That was the second time we used him and will continue to use him in the future. Let me know if you want his number. We arrived to the cruise port around 12pm and had no problem getting our coolers and carryon’s through security. We waited in line for about 10 mins and then were giving a boarding card. Took about 20 mins and we were off to the ship. Went up to the lido deck for lunch and were in our room by 1pm. Our bags arrived about an hour later.

Our Room

The room I had was 7281 and my sisters and cousins were next door in 7285. Our balcony’s opened but blocked one of our doors to the balcony so we ended up closing it. The other rooms were in the back and had doors that opened nicely to extend to one big balcony. Bathroom shower was big but seemed to flood the floor if the shower curtain got stuck over the drain. Just be sure to keep the shower curtain away from the drain and you’ll be fine. There weren’t any shelves by the sink like the valor and conquest but it still worked. I would suggest bringing an extra cord with extra plugs because only 1 outlet worked in our room and you can’t plug your own hairdryer into the wall socket but it works if you plug it into the extension cord. Lots of closet space and bags fit under the bed.

We went to the spa give away and two in our group won however they cut back a little because the spa services weren’t completely free, just half off. In September, the spa raffle gave away free spa services not just discounted one. However, the gym and spa was nice. After the spa give-a-way we headed up to the Lido deck and hung out until dinner. Our whole table had the baby back ribs because they only offered them the first night and they were excellent!!!!

After dinner we went to Bingo and encountered the BEST Carnival Bingo employee EVER!!!!! His name is Joe, from Australia. Super personality!!!!!! Always had a smile on his face and made us laugh the entire cruise! If you run into him tell him his favorite bingo player "Amanda Woomer" said hello!!!! After Bingo we watched the welcome aboard show…….same old show and then comedy by a lady named Diane Ford. She was ok but I just think guy comedians are way funnier (I don’t know why but I have always though that). Kevin Noonan was our Cruise Director and he was very funny! He also did a great job……not as good as Joe but a close second. You’ll see Kevin around the ship during the day, usually eating and chatting to the guests.

We didn’t go to the lido deck for the movie but the movies that night were Drillbit Taylor (8pm), Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull (10pm), and Iron Man (midnight). Same movies played in the room as well.

Next up Key West……………………

Key West Day

We all got up and did the sit down breakfast. I had eggs benedict. It was good. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food at the sit down breakfast. Less crowds. We head back to the room to get ready for our excursion. We did the Key West Bar Crawl. This was my second time on the crawl and this time our tour guys were really annoying. The last time we had Captain Ron and he was great. I can’t remember the names of the two guys this time but they were just way out there and really loud, in a mean way, not a fun way. But we had a good time anyway. We are only in Key West from 7am to 2pm so this is a good excursion to sample some of the bars for a good price. You also get a free t-shirt and we only paid around $40 each.

After the bar crawl we headed up to the Lido deck and layed out as we pulled out of Key West. We went back to the room about 630pm to get ready for the Captains dinner. We got some professional family pictures taken since we were all in our white and black attire. Dinner was really good! I had the lobster and it was really yummy! After dinner we went back to the room and changed and some headed to the show……..I’m not going to lie, after the bar crawl and drinking by the pool, I was a little drunk but I do remember going to watch some of baby mama up on the lido and then going to the late night comedy of Diane Ford. Again she was just ok.

Movies that night were Kung-Fu Panda (8pm), Baby Mama (10pm), and speed racer (midnight)

Cozumel

We all slept in and had breakfast out on our balcony so we could save room for the private resort we were going to later that day. We went up to the lido deck as we waited to pull into port and played bargain bingo with our buddy Joe. Again he was a lot of fun.

We pulled into port around 1pm but 12 Cozumel time. I had my reservation paperwork from Nachi Cocom (this was not through carnival) and we headed to the taxi’s. We had 16 total in our group so we paid $32 (plus $8 tip) per van and headed to the private resort. They only sell 100 tickets per day and ours was booked at about 30. Awesome resort……drinks, food, and facilities were awesome. We paid $49 each and it was well worth that price. Some in our group did the snorkeling but said it was way too wavy and decided to come back early. I think they paid $38 a person. The staff arranged a taxi back to the cruise port and we arrived back safely around 530 or so. We did a little bit of shopping but headed back to get ready for dinner.

Since we didn’t leave port until 10pm, so there wasn’t anyone at dinner and service was so good that night! We had sweet and sour shrimp and the waiters brought us each 2 servings! HA! Also it was nice to not feel the engines running while we ate dinner. They upsets my stomach sometimes.

After dinner we went to the powerball bingo…..I didn’t win but almost! After bingo with Joe, we all decided to stay for the show. Noonan came out and was funny as ever and then introduced a juggler, Rick Klingler……he was pretty good. Then Dean Gaines came out and did comedy and was hilarious!!!!!

If anyone has any questions about Nachi Cocom please ask away. It was awesome!

Up next Day at Sea.......................

hey cruisin, do you think its worth the $40 for the pub crawl, or would it be better to just go all the bars on our own . I am going with a group of 3 other guys for Spring break and we are a litttle confused on what to do..

Thanks

congoman

I would recommend doing the bar crawl.......here's why.......It's $40 and you get a shirt and 5 drinks and you stay at each bar for about 25 mins so it helps you not lose track of time and get stuck at one bar. You are only on the bar crawl from about 10am to about 130pm. If you are going during spring break then I would highly recommend it because the bar tenders know the tour guides and you'll get served alot faster if you are in the bar crawl group. If you were going to be there during the early evening hours then I would say Not to do the tour and do it by yourself because there's happy hour specials every where later in the evening but just not the time frame when we were there

The ship had a good layout. It had the movie screen on the lido deck but as far as the bathroom upgrades.......there weren't many but the bathroom was ok, just out dated. the hairdryer in the bathroom sucks so bring your own with an extention cord because your hairdryer won't work if you plug it right into the wall socket.

As far as getting around the ship always remember if you are trying to get from the back of the ship to the front, walk down the promenade deck (level 5).......it makes it go faster and you won't get stuck between the dining room galley.

Thank you for the review. I am enjoying reading it.. What was the Bingo guys name? Bob:p We are looking forward to our second trip on the Destiny. My girls first on this ship and they are excited to read the review as well..

OP-- thanks for the review. We leave on Saturday but are going to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

Is there one show we should not miss? Did you go to the past guest party?

I agree with you about Nachi-- we were there last March and had a fantastic time!

We board May 4th for the Eastern itin. Can't wait and I love seeing the positive reviews! Methinks we need a NEW "all Destiny" thread ... the old one focuses a lot on the old itineraries and was mostly before the refurb ... so while some applies, lots doesn't.

Keep the review coming ... and, btw, does Destiny have a fish-n-chips place?

St.Michael.......

Bingo Bob would have been a good name....HA......but his name was acutally Joe and he's about 25 years old and he's from Australia. Your girls will just love him. My cousin (who's 15) and my Niece (who's 13) just fell in love with him........and I ain't going lie me and my sister (29 and 26) had a little crush on him as well.........:D He had such a fun personality!

trvlqueen.........

I don't remember seeing a fish and chips place on the Destiny

Thanks for posting your review. I'm doing the Eastern itinerary. But, it's always nice to hear about the ship anyway.

I have to agree with you about Nachi Cocum. The day I spent there was one of the best days I've ever had!

The ship is a great ship. I've been on the Valor, Conquest, Elation, and Imagination. It's not as big as the Valor and Conquest but alot bigger than the Imagination and Elation. It had a really good layout. Just remember if you are trying to get from the front of the ship to the back always walk through level 5 (promenade deck). It's alot easier that way. The cruise director was hilarious, Kevin Noonan. Also they had a great activities staff......I only remember two names though......Sally, who did the outside activities and Joe who did the Bingo. Great Staff all around!

Myself and some girlfriends are going on the Destiny next month, Girls Only Cruise!:) We were wondering, is there an adults only area on this ship? Thanks!

When are ya'll going? Most of our group is girls!

We are going April 20. Nassau, Half Moon and Grand Turk.

Us too! Most of us are 45 to 55 year old women. We all cruised together last October. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami the night before and shuttling over together early.

Archived